Pronunciation of these towns
- DeFilippis78
- Master

- Posts: 1144
- Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 02:19
Pronunciation of these towns
Stella Cilento: is the c a hard c or is it a ch sound?
Gimigliano: are these hard g's or softs g's or a mix?
Alicia
Gimigliano: are these hard g's or softs g's or a mix?
Alicia
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Pronunciation of these towns
"Ci" is chee, as in cheese.
"Gi" is gee, like in jeep. The second "g" is harder to explain, and I have to say that I never liked the explanation I usually find in books which tell you to think of the "gl" as "lyuh" like in million.
Here is what I think is a better explanation for the two common G-consonant pairings, gl and gn:
First, forget about the g.
Second, pronounce the letter after the g as if it were part of the previous syllable.
Third begin the next syllalbe with a yuh sound.
So gnocchi is pronounced (roughly) en-yokie and Gimigliano is Gee-meal-yano.
Check out this great site. It will pronounce single words or short phrases (complete with punctuation if you like) and does so quite accurately, I am told.
[edited to fix Oddcast hyperlink]
"Gi" is gee, like in jeep. The second "g" is harder to explain, and I have to say that I never liked the explanation I usually find in books which tell you to think of the "gl" as "lyuh" like in million.
Here is what I think is a better explanation for the two common G-consonant pairings, gl and gn:
First, forget about the g.
Second, pronounce the letter after the g as if it were part of the previous syllable.
Third begin the next syllalbe with a yuh sound.
So gnocchi is pronounced (roughly) en-yokie and Gimigliano is Gee-meal-yano.
Check out this great site. It will pronounce single words or short phrases (complete with punctuation if you like) and does so quite accurately, I am told.
[edited to fix Oddcast hyperlink]
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
- DeFilippis78
- Master

- Posts: 1144
- Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 02:19
Re: Pronunciation of these towns
So basically the g in the middle is silent in this case?
Alicia
Alicia
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Pronunciation of these towns
We need to be careful. As English speakers, when we think of a silent letter, we think of it as simply not existing and serving no purpose at all.DeFilippis78 wrote:So basically the g in the middle is silent in this case?
Alicia
But in the case of the gl and gn pairings in Italian, alhough the g itself is not pronounced (in the English sense), it does tell you, the speaker, that you must insert that yuh sound in front of the next syllable.
Gimigliano: gee-MEAL-yano
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
- DeFilippis78
- Master

- Posts: 1144
- Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 02:19
Re: Pronunciation of these towns
I get it (I think). I think english and my knowledge of some spanish gets in the way.
Alicia
Alicia
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Pronunciation of these towns
The sound of "GL" in Italian is similar to the sound of "LL" in Spanish.DeFilippis78 wrote:I get it (I think). I think english and my knowledge of some spanish gets in the way.
Alicia
- DeFilippis78
- Master

- Posts: 1144
- Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 02:19
Re: Pronunciation of these towns
Is there a L sound at all then? Because the LL in spanish is a Y sound. Like llamo is said, YAh-mo. Like that?
Alicia
Alicia
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Pronunciation of these towns
I realize that maybe the "LL" is pronounced differently in various places int he world...
- DeFilippis78
- Master

- Posts: 1144
- Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 02:19
Re: Pronunciation of these towns
Well I guess I have the basic idea of how the town is said now. I was totally destroying the pronunciation before thinking they were both hard g's . Thanks for your help everyone.
Alicia
Alicia
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Pronunciation of these towns
Yes, definitely.DeFilippis78 wrote:Is there a L sound at all then? Because the LL in spanish is a Y sound. Like llamo is said, YAh-mo. Like that?
Alicia
The "gn" example I gave earlier is helpful as everyone (well, almost) knows how to pronounce gnocchi.
Did you try out the Oddcast Text-To-Speech site I linked to?
Another example, Campagnolo - pronounced Cam-pan-yo-lo.
Figlio/Figlia (son/daughter) - pronounced Feel-yo / Feel-ya
Or. one of my favorites, the actor who portrayed "The Hulk" on TV, Lou Ferrigno. Someone needs to tell him (not me!) his name is pronounced Fer-reen-yo and not Fer-rig-no.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
- DeFilippis78
- Master

- Posts: 1144
- Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 02:19
Re: Pronunciation of these towns
So basically the y comes after the l or the n? Im going to take a look at that website now.
The hulk....
I noticed that son and daughter is very close to the latin translation. Neat!
Alicia
The hulk....
I noticed that son and daughter is very close to the latin translation. Neat!
Alicia
- DeFilippis78
- Master

- Posts: 1144
- Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 02:19
Re: Pronunciation of these towns
Carmine, that oddcast link isnt available anymore 
Alicia
Alicia
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Pronunciation of these towns
That's odd; I use it all the time. Let's try again, Oddcast link.DeFilippis78 wrote:Carmine, that oddcast link isnt available anymore
Alicia
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
- DeFilippis78
- Master

- Posts: 1144
- Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 02:19
Re: Pronunciation of these towns
That one works. But when I put in random words and put to say in Italian it just says the word in english with an italian accent
Alicia
Alicia
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Pronunciation of these towns
Well, I've never had that happen. What random words are you trying?DeFilippis78 wrote:That one works. But when I put in random words and put to say in Italian it just says the word in english with an italian accent![]()
Alicia
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!