Trouble finding any history on my surname

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Trouble finding any history on my surname

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Catherine is the town of San Bartolomeo di Val Cavargna (Prov. COMO) close toSAan Bartolomeo di Val mar or are they one same town? My wife and I spent two seasons in Stresa on Lake Maggiore and can attest to its beauty. When you get to the town ask about the ancient Monastery on the Lake that can be seen by motorboat since there are no roads to get there =. It is very haunting and well worth seeing. Have fun and please let us know how you make out with the Italian exchange student that you intend to hire..I am very interested in knowing how it turns out. =Peter=
~Peter~
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

No Peter - they are two totally different places... To travel between them is quite a feat as the roads are very narrow with a lot of hairpin bends...just reading the driving instructions will give you some idea. Turns every few yards in some places!
See this link:

>San Batolomeo to San Bartolomeo!!!<

If you look to the right of this map at the top of Lake Como - I live near Colico... so this is all 'my stamping ground'. There is another San Bartolomeo on the other side of the top of Lake Como near Sorico.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
sigel7
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sigel7 »

I have read about the Madonna di ponte (spelling errors I am sure). Its funny but my grandmother was actually born in Brissago Switzerland. The family didnt migrate very far. It looks to be about 2 miles. Elba, since we are talking about land so close to your stomping ground, would you know, per chance, what church my grandparents would have gotten married in. She lived in Brissago, I will assume they married there, in 1931 and she was a very very very devout roman catholic. i cant seem to find a church out that way using the internet, being I dont speak Italian (yet) I have fewer web pages to look through.

Thanks

Catherine
Looking for Calderoni
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

This is a good link for Brissago. I have put it on the page with plenty of photos for you, but do browse the site as it is the town website.

>Brissago - Photo's<

There is a list of links in red which are for:
* Brissago com'era - Brissago as it was
* Brissago com'è - Brissago as it is
* Chiese - Churches
* Natura - Nature
* Chiesa Porta - Door Church
* Le nostre montagne - Our mountains

This is the address of Chiesa di San Pietro e Paolo:

Chiesa dei Santi Pietro e Paolo
Scalinata Dogana
6614 Brissago/TI
Switzerland

And this is the address of the Comune:

Amministrazione comunale di Brissago
Piazza Municipio 1 564,
6614 Brissago/TI
Switzerland

Tel:091 786 81 50

I hope some of this is of use to you. If I can be of help, don't hesitate to ask. My e-mail is at the bottom of my posts.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
sigel7
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sigel7 »

The pictures of Brissago before, were taken when my grandmother was still living there. She left to be with her husband in 1938 and her father came to the states in 1949. That was the entire Morandi family, or what was left of them. My grandmother was an only child and her mother died very young.

Thanks for that link.
Looking for Calderoni
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Elba thanks for the explanation about "your Stomping ground" Obviously you are to the Manor born! =Peter=
~Peter~
sigel7
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sigel7 »

When I go and check out this website www.gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/ to find Calderoni, I see at least 238 scattered through the country and its a pretty rare name. Now, I have my greatgrandma on the paternal side (Musitelli) and there are only 65 and my maternal greatgrandma (mantegani) has only 17 in the country. No wonder its so hard for me to find more info on the family, it appears to be dying out or they left the country. I have their first names now but no idea what cumune they are from. I am sending away for my ggf's birth cert and continue to go up the calderoni tree for now.

Catherine
Looking for Calderoni
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

go to www.paginebianche.it and put in the surname in the first line and the region the comunes are located and all persons with the surname in that region (i.e Lombardia) will show up by full name, address and telephone number.

But my question is how do you know who is related to you and who isn't?=Peter=
~Peter~
sigel7
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sigel7 »

Mr. Peter, at this point I will take everyone as a relative, if they will accept me. I have so few here (brother and sister and uncle who are on the west coast and we dont visit or talk) and I really do love the "old ways" where all the families lived together and cooked, etc together. If you saw how I cooked, for about 20 every night even though there are only four of us, you would understand. I guess I will have to write to them all and see who takes.
Thanks

Catherine
Looking for Calderoni
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

You can send each one the same form letter of possible relative letter along with a return addressed envelope. May I suggest that you pick out those persons with frist names that are familiar to you as being name used in your family since firstnames usually stay inthe family for generations. You can always go back for a second round.......BUT be prepared to translate the letters that are returned with answers in Italian???=Peter= (Mr. is not required)
~Peter~
Angelacoles

Post by Angelacoles »

Hello! My grandmother Maria Allioli was born in Cannobio in 1890, married to Dino Del Perugia (born in Florence in 1880). They emigrated to the U.K in 1913, where my mother was born.I have no details of Maria's mother but believe she may have been called Marietta or Margherita. My sister and I Visited CANNOBIO in June this year.A VERY SENTIMENTAL journey to this truly beautiful little town....you will certainly not want to leave if you can make a trip overseas...We were unsuccessful in our quest to locate details of my gr.grandmother, other than to find a grave for a Margherita Allioli, born 1872 died 1969, could this be her I wonder? We are unable to trace any further details of this lady..so frustrating! Good Luck with your research, have you any information regarding Arizzoli or Allioli families you can share with me?
Best wishes, Angela Coles (now living in S.W.France)