Alien registration card

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jamurp01

Re: Alien registration card

Post by jamurp01 »

hmm... im seriously wondering if my citizenship isn't going to go thru... simply because another individual is having a VERY similar experience at the Boston Consulate (he's been posting on Expats) he cannot locate the ARC; even though he has about 10 other documents certifying no naturalization... ( 2 censes, federal, state, and court letters of no record)

Im applying thru the Comune Di Torino- apparently, they've never had an american applying before with a "non-existence record" and they verified this letter of no record with all of my residential consulates; ONLY the Boston consulate has a problem with this document- they have told the comune that I specifically need to get the ARC of my ancestor. The only good news about this situation is that the Comune has the final say as to whether I can be a citizen of Italy or not...

I'm getting fully prepared- translating the index request of USCIS proving that they never found an ARC of Antonio, the initial request receipt with all of the data I gave them. Also I'm going to hand them the 1930 census where he is still registered as an alien this week, while I wait to hear from New Hampshire Archives and NARA's Waltham office.

I think I may go as far as translating the US naturalization process/laws for them- showing them that it takes a minimum of 5 years to acquire naturalization (my GM was born only 4 years after they arrived in the US) and also translate some document describing this Certificate of Arrival process that you all have talked about above so that they can compare it to the ship manifest.

My only thing is that its super expensive to have these translations over here (even if i do them myself) it's 15 euro per document or 30 for a manifest or census... ouch! Does anyone have any other recommendations on documents to use to prove no naturalization???
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Debbie and Johnnyonthespot:

The Naturalization Certificate Files (C-files) were issued from September 27,1906 thru April 1,1956 which is the number issued to all aliens who naturalized. This C file number was placed on the original manifest so that the person who arrived as an immigrant and whose name appeared on the manifest was confirmed to have been eligibile to receive a naturalziation certificate. The fraud that developed occurred when false documentation was issued in another aliens name in order to obtain immigration benefits from naturalziation to immigrant visa petitions that illegal aliens and others presented in another name.

Debby go to www.uscis.gov under GENEALOGY (records avilable thru the USCIS Genealkogy program). =Peter=
~Peter~
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

No, Peter, you are still wrong.

The number notated on the manifest is not the "C" file number. The "C" file number is the same number as appears on the actual Certificate of Naturalization and on the Oath of Allegiance.

The number on the manifest is the number of the Certificate of Arrival form, as you can clearly see below (I have other examples which follow the same pattern).

The "C" file number in this case is 6139366. The Certificate of Arrival number is 2-553306.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The number appearing on the certificate of arrival is the Visa file# which began in July 1, 1924 to March 31, 1944 which you displayed Johnny

The switch to Alien files# (A-files) numbered below A8000000 (below 8 million) and documents dated prior to May 1,1951

Naturalization Certificate Files (C-files) from September 27, 1906 to April 1, 1956

Alien Registration Forms from August 1,1940 to March 31,1944(wartime)

Registry Files from March 2,1929 to March31,1944

SOURCE: USCIS.gov under GENEALOGY =Peter=
~Peter~
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

From http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... 18190aRCRD
Visa File. Original arrival records of immigrants admitted for permanent residence between July 1, 1924 and March 31, 1944. The Visa File number does NOT appear on a ship passenger list.
The number on the Certificate of Arrival and notated on manifests is not the Visa file number nor is it the "C" file number. It is the Certificate of Arrival number. Nothing more and nothing less.

And, unfortunately, it cannot be used for a USCIS Records Request operation. There are several different file types which can be used to request records ( http://www.uscis.gov/uscis-ext-templati ... 18190aRCRD ), but the Certificate of Arrival number is not one of them.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The number on the certificate of arrival ( a secondary source) and the file # starting with 2 is the Alien registration card number issued by immigration from visa file. =Peter=
~Peter~
qnana
Rookie
Rookie

Post by qnana »

johnnyonthespot wrote:
qnana wrote:jampurp01-

Sorry I didn't answer your question sooner. My grandfather naturalized in the Special Term of the Supreme Court of Bronx County in the Bronx. I haven't found his Declaration or Petition yet.

Good luck- qnana
Do you know approximately what yerar that was? Since you haven't found the documents, what are you basing this information on?
It was 4 Aug 1920.