Births/Deaths/Marriages certificate office in Rome?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
vanessam
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Births/Deaths/Marriages certificate office in Rome?

Post by vanessam »

I meant the office in Catanzaro, thank you. I wish I could stay here and do it from Rome..
Thank you for the telephone list.
vanessam
Rookie
Rookie

Post by vanessam »

I meant the office in Catanzaro, thank you. I wish I could stay here and do it from Rome..
Thank you for the telephone list.
vanessam
Rookie
Rookie

Post by vanessam »

Hello everyone,

As promised, I thought I'd let you know my experience. So I went to the little commune office in Dinami (it really is a one-street town) and I was really expecting the worst after the US company I used to track down the certificate in the first place came back with a 'no record found' result, but low and behold, not only was the certificate found pretty painlessly, the woman working behind the counter studied in Melbourne and spoke perfect English - who'd have thought! I know most of you will know exactly where I'm coming from when I say, I feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders. Everyone has different experiences and this process has been going on for five long years for me so trust me, I needed to get a break some time and, it took a trip to Italy - don't give up!!! Thanks for everyone's advice and I hope the actual passport process won't take five years....
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Absolutely. I did exactly the same. Took a trip to Italy to get my grand-father's documents. When I got my passport I moved over there and lived in my ancestral region for ten years, where I never met any government employee in any comune that didn't speak SOME English and could at least make himself understood and understands you. I'm not talking about big cities; these are small comunes in the provinces. I have found that many Italians know some English, but they are just a little shy with letting you know about it because pronunciation is what's most difficult for them.
ryangiunta

Post by ryangiunta »

johnnyonthespot wrote:You should be able to do this by contacting the comune directly. Try writing as follows:

28 giugno 2011 [giugno is June; month names in italian are written lower case]

[your name]
[your address]

AUSTRALIA

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Dinami
Rione Palazzi
89833 Dinami VV
ITALY
You are extremely helpful! I just sent you a PM if you could have a look :D