Looking for Amedeo Cipriani

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
itachi124578963

Looking for Amedeo Cipriani

Post by itachi124578963 »

I'm researching my genealogy and I could only get as far as Amedeo Cipriani on my dad's side. He arrived at Ellis Island in Apr 19, 1897 on the Oregon (the ship) from Naples, Italy. The problem I'm having is finding anything before this. My mom seems to believe he may have changed his name. I really want to learn more about this side of my family.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Looking for Amedeo Cipriani

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Name changes usually involve simplified spellings or Americanizations. In fact Cipriani is a very common name in Italy, existing throughout the country. See http://www.gens.info/italia/it/turismo- ... 6gAf7Epeno

So, there is work to be done here. :(

Do you have any aunts or uncles who may be descended from a brother or sister of Amedeo? A relative who arrived later might show a point of origin on his/her passenger manifest.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Okay, I located the passenger manifest you spoke of:

In the column labeled "Country of which they are a citizen" the manifest clearly lists city names which probably represent either the place of birth or of last residence. Amedeo's appears to say "Ponto Maggiore" - a place which I cannot locate. The best I can find is possibly Ponte Maggiore which apparently was or is a frazione of Terracina, a comune not terribly far from Naples (the point from which Amedeo sailed).

Ponto/Ponte Maggiore is definitely the starting point for further research.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Is this your Amedeo?

If so, then he was naturalized by 1918; if you can obtain his naturalization documents, you should find his place of birth within.
Carmine

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Ponte Maggiore seems correct.
Parker1

Post by Parker1 »

The best I can find is possibly Ponte Maggiore which apparently was or is a frazione of Terracina, a comune not terribly far from Naples (the point from which Amedeo sailed).
watson