Jure sanguinis citizenship questions

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
liquidny

Jure sanguinis citizenship questions

Post by liquidny »

Hi all. I'm sure these questions have been asked before, but please bear with me. :D

I'm gathering documents to establish my right to citizenship through the NYC consulate. I'll be going the following route:

GGF > GF > F > Me

GGF was born in Civitella del Tronto in (I think) 1872 and immigrated to the US with his wife around 1905.

I have no idea if he was every naturalized, but if he was it seems unlikely that he would have before GF was born in 1910 or 1911 (there's a dispute about GF's year of birth, but we think it's 1910).

GF, F, and myself were all born in the USA.

Questions:

1) The NYC consulate website suggests it could take up to a year to get an appointment. What has been the actual experience here? (And do they speak English?)

2) Since I am going entirely through the paternal bloodline, must I still provide birth/death certificates for GGM, GM, and M?

3) Do I need proof of non-naturalization from everybody, or just the ascendants that were not born in the USA (ie. GGF and/or GGM)?

4) I have a pdf copy of GGF's birth certificate. Is this sufficient, or do I need to send away for an "official" copy?

Thanks!
carubia
Master
Master

Re: Jure sanguinis citizenship questions

Post by carubia »

1) A year is typical; it could even be longer. Look here for a summary of many other people's experiences: http://italiancitizenship.freeforums.or ... t1415.html

2) Yes. NY currently asks for birth and death certs for people not in your "Italian line."

3) You need proof of non-naturalization only for your GGF.

4) You need to obtain an "official" copy, with a seal from the comune on it.
lydiatheys

Post by lydiatheys »

I made an appointment in August 2014 and received a date of January 28, 2016. Not 2015. This is for NY.

All your documents need to be long form, certified, translated into Italian and Apostiled. Obviously, records from Italy do not require translation. Also, of you are going through NY and some of your records come from states not in the NY jurisdiction, you might have to have those approved by the proper Consulate before you take them to NY. I am not 100% sure of this last and am trying to get confirmation but it appears to be true.
Lydia
Towns: Scala Coeli in Cosenza, Crucoli in Crotone, Macchia Albanese and San Demetrio Corone in Cosenza, possibly Zagarese
Fazio, Amato, Leguori (Liguore), Merenda, Madera
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite

Post by TerraLavoro »

lydiatheys wrote:Also, if you are going through NY and some of your records come from states not in the NY jurisdiction, you might have to have those approved by the proper Consulate before you take them to NY. I am not 100% sure of this last and am trying to get confirmation but it appears to be true.
It is not true. As long as the documents are USA documents, then they do not need to be "legalized/authenticated" by other Italian consulates in the USA. If the documents are from other countries, (meaning other than Italy) then the translations need to legalized/stamped by the Italian consulate in the foreign country that has the appropriate jurisdiction..
TerraLavoro
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Sorry, I missed this question:
liquidny wrote:And do they speak English?
Yes. You do not need to be able to speak Italian.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

I personally had to have documents authenticated at the PA consulate even though my appointment was in NYC. apostilles dont mean anything to them when you are abroad either. My brother went though tokyo consulate and they sent his documents back to the NYC consulate to be authenticated.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

sceaminmonkey applied a few years back under the old procedures. What he had to do is no longer required. OTOH, since his brother applied in a country that was different from the source of his documents, even now that authentication step would be required.