Searching for Immigration Records of Giacomo Rossi

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
teebee

Searching for Immigration Records of Giacomo Rossi

Post by teebee »

My maternal grandmother came to the USA in 1914. According to the "List or Manifest of Alien Passengers for the U.S. Immigration Officer at Port of Arrival" she boarded the S/S Canopic on Feb. 21, 1914, in Genoa (Italy) and arrived in Boston on Mar. 9, 1914.

Many, many years ago she had told us kids that on this ship she met what years later would become our maternal grandfather. His name was Giacomo Rossi. I don't know much about him. My grandmother was approx. 16-17 years old when she started her journey to the USA, so I figure that my grandfather must have been around that age, too. He was from the Naples (Italy) area, so he must have boarded the S/S Canopic there.

I have not been able to locate my grandfather on the "List or Manifest of Alien Passengers for the U.S. Immigration Officer at Port of Arrival" for the Port of Boston. I figure he must have disembarked at some other New England port of entry in March of 1914.

Would anyone be able to give me more information about my grandfather? A link to a copy of the "List or Manifest of Alien Passengers..." where he appears would be a great start!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Searching for Immigration Records of Giacomo Rossi

Post by PeterTimber »

He arrived on the SS Canopic at Boston, Mass ....BUT.... in 1921 at age 18 (born 1903). I suspect you did not have all the info you needed.
~Peter~
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Searching for Immigration Records of Giacomo Rossi

Post by Tessa78 »

PeterTimber wrote:He arrived on the SS Canopic at Boston, Mass ....BUT.... in 1921 at age 18 (born 1903). I suspect you did not have all the info you needed.
Here is the link to the manifest Peter referenced above.
Giacomo Rossi is on line 21.
He leaves his father, Antonio, in Roccabascerana, province Avellino.
Destination: Boston. To uncle Carmine Rossi at 161 Atwell Ave.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1923995

T.