Strange Request from NY Consulate?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
AdrianBattaglia27
Rookie
Rookie

Strange Request from NY Consulate?

Post by AdrianBattaglia27 »

As some of you know I am in the process of helping my mother through the jure matrimonio pre 1983 process here in NY. I finally got her long form b/c apostilled in Albany and was seeking to make an appointment at the consulate notary office to have the translation legalized. I emailed copies of the document, translation, and translator's affidavit along with the request since last time I had to show them my documents and then return again to have them legalize everything.

So the notary office must have forwarded my email to the citizenship office and today I received an email from Patrizia Malaspina saying that the long form b/c was not good because it was from the town in NYS where my mother was born and instead we need to get her b/c from Albany. This seems very strange to me as in NYS the local clerks hold records, and the vast majority of people go to the relevant town for such records.

In my case I had to go through a 1948 court proceeding in Rome so I never had to deal with the NY consulate and such matters, the documents I sent to my lawyer Luigi Paiano were issued right from my birth city.

I guess I will go ahead and get mother's b/c from Albany and then get that apostilled as well again, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Thanks

Adrian
mler
Master
Master

Re: Strange Request from NY Consulate?

Post by mler »

They are very strange in NY. :?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Strange Request from NY Consulate?

Post by PeterTimber »

I recall this problem was discussed many years ago and reasons were put forth at the height of the rush to become EU citizens which left you shrugging which I see is what your doing. Try Googling the problem for answers. Peter
~Peter~