Calling Papers

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Calling Papers

Post by erudita74 »

Angela
I've been researching references, and from what I am understanding, various countries made agreements with Italy for emigration from Italy to their countries. So, for example,countries such as Brazil and Argentina had such agreements in effect post WWII, when Italy was left in shambles. If people wanted to emigrate from Italy to those countries, they needed an atto di chiamata, which allowed relatives or friends already residing in those countries to sponsor or vouch for them and assure that they would not become public charges. The reference I posted earlier referred to single women, the young, or individuals who were advanced in age who needed such sponsorship. That was from the earlier 1900s though. I also saw a reference to emigration to France. I think that Australia just has a better organized website than the rest. I also found that one town in Italy, Picinisco, has registers of "atti di chiamata" for the years 1953 to 1958. I am assuming that other towns kept such registers as well. In any case, the atto di chiamata is about emigration from Italy to another country, and sponsorship by some other Italian immigrant already residing in the country in question, without whose sponsorship it would otherwise be doubtful that the person wishing to emigrate there would be admitted.
I'm still working on getting a better handle on this entire subject, but I think the explanation on the Australian archives website is right on. I just think it is a mistake to assume that Italy only had such an agreement with Australia. The atto di chiamata also seems to have been a means by which a destination country could maintain an immigration quota.
Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Thank you Erudita. You've gone to a lot of work and explained this really well and most, if not all of it, fits with my thinking from what I've read. I'm actually on my way out shortly and I'll have another read through later when I return. I agree, the Australian Archives is a brilliant site and also user friendly.

Angela
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Angela
I'm on my way out shortly too (zumba class). Glad about that, as I pulled my lower back when I was out of town for a few days last week and it's been difficult to sit at the computer for long periods of time, at least until today. Yoga, walking several miles a day, and zumba have really helped. Anyway,I won't give up on this topic, as I hate leaving loose ends.
Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Thank you for your support with this Erudita. I really appreciate it. I ended up having a full on day yesterday with work and then visitors so didn't really get a chance to have another look at all this so hopefully will have a chance later today. (I admire your dedication to fitness. A friend keeps inviting me along to her zumba class but I'm not sure it is quite "me". I love walking though. Omega 3 is great for joint issues and a million other things. It has anti-inflammatory properties as well.)

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Erudita,
Have you seen this one: http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 1ibm_DKcNA

Page 34:
….Migration policies like the Atto di Chiamata and the family-reunion scheme facilitated the formation of village-based communities and impeded the development of a broader Italo-Australian identity....

This seems to suggest there may have been two separate schemes/policies/systems. What do you think? I'm sure I've read somewhere that the Atto di Chiamata went with the “Nomination Scheme” so “POSSIBLY” the Atto di Richiamo went with “the family-reunion scheme”?????

Angela

P.S. I'm pulling out Australian links because they seem to be the most helpful. I know that Australia wasn't the only country using these forms.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Erudita,
Looking at this link here: http://guides.naa.gov.au/more-people-im ... xes/1.aspx
half way down the page “The Atti di Chiamata, or letter of call, was a nomination system.....” This is possibly where I got this idea from that Atto di Chiamata went with a “nomination scheme”. I'm possibly misreading it. (I think I'm going round in circles!)
Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Erudita,
I've only just now read your pm and have sent you a reply.
Angela