Divorce

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ftino1951

Divorce

Post by ftino1951 »

Hello, I would like to know if you are divorced 2 times and now remarried do I need the two divorce papers from the other two? I also read some were that if my Italian Grandfather's death was in Italy that I do not need nationalization papers? He came to the USA in 1914 and never got nationalization and was sent back to Italy around 1932-1933 and got remarried & died there. I do have the papers from NARA & Home Land that say he did not.
mler
Master
Master

Re: Divorce

Post by mler »

I assume you are thinking in terms of citizenship recognition.

Yes, you do indeed need complete copies of all your divorce papers and a statement of no appeal. If your citizenship is recognized, your Italian comune will need all official records regarding any change in your status (marriage, divorce, children, etc.). The divorce documents demonstrate that your current marriage is legitimate since previous marriages will be noted on your marriage papers.

If your gf was born and died in Italy, you would ordinarily not need naturalization records. However, I assume you are tracing your line through a parent born in the US, and that would tell the consulate that your grandfather lived in the US at some point. You will need his the NARA and USCIC proof of no naturalization. You will likely also need proof that he never naturalized at the county level.
ftino1951

Post by ftino1951 »

Thank you very much this is what I need to know.
Richard Connell

Post by Richard Connell »

Can the divorce records be certificates? as long as they say no appeal? Or do they need to be long form?
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

They need to be the full judgment, not just the certificate. You also need certificates of no appeal, which are usually separate from the judgment.