advice about NYC consulate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
lisahickey
Rookie
Rookie

advice about NYC consulate

Post by lisahickey »

my partner's application for citizenship through descent was accepted in April of this year, at his 3rd appointment. both of his siblings and his mother have already received their passports and were accepted at their first appointments in boston and LA. he was told he would hear something in a few months, but we have still heard nothing. we have checked with the commune, which has not yet received his paperwork, and with the consulate, from whom we received an email stating that applications are processed in the order in which they are received. the consulate has already put us through the wringer in making us schedule 3 appointments, a year apart, and now they are dragging their feet on what seems to be a clear cut case. does anyone have any advice about how to get a real answer out of them or to speed them up? my partner is entitled to his citizenship and it isn't clear to me why they seem to be dragging their feet. thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!
lydiatheys

Re: advice about NYC consulate

Post by lydiatheys »

I have no advice--sorry!--but from everything I have read there is a fair amount of personal discretion on the part of the Consulate personnel in how and when they make their decisions. In other words, it is not like you can just go in and point to a rule and say, hey, nobody is following this. Best of luck.
Lydia
Towns: Scala Coeli in Cosenza, Crucoli in Crotone, Macchia Albanese and San Demetrio Corone in Cosenza, possibly Zagarese
Fazio, Amato, Leguori (Liguore), Merenda, Madera
Italia1963
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Italia1963 »

I'm surprised that you have not heard from the Consulate notifying you officially that your application has been accepted. While NYC does make you jump through hoops in the application process, once you pass the final meeting, they are usually pretty fast (at least in the last two years) of notifying you that you paperwork has been forwarded to your comune...usually all within a month.
Did they give you an email address that you can send a note to the consulate asking for the status of your application.
lisahickey
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lisahickey »

thanks for the feedback - yes, we emailed this summer and were told that applications are processed in the order in which they are received. very helpful. it's been nearly 6 months and i'm not sure how to proceed - should i call them? will i make them annoyed and move our application to the bottom of the pile?
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

NY's time to process an application can range from days to years - there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Contact your comune directly and see if they've received anything from the consulate yet.
lisahickey
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lisahickey »

Update - the citizenship arrived last Thursday - about 6 months after our 3rd and final appointment - hurrah! Thanks to all of you on this board who have provided so much help.