Costa Rican Embassy

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
James Graham
Veteran
Veteran

Costa Rican Embassy

Post by James Graham »

I contacted the embassy to have my daughter's birth certificate and translation authenticated. They told me they do not need to do this. They told me that is what the apostille is for.
I was under the assumption it should be authenticated to present to the consulate in the United States.
Any ideas?
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite

Re: Costa Rican Embassy

Post by TerraLavoro »

If you will be using the New York consulate to facilitate the transcription of your daughter's birth cert. in a comune, perhaps you could request that the NY consulate send an email to the embassy in Costa Rica that explains that they require the legalization of the translation?

I assumed the NY consulate based on your location, but I think you understand my suggestion in any case. Also assuming that this is for citizenship recognition purposes?
TerraLavoro
James Graham
Veteran
Veteran

Post by James Graham »

Yes, it is for citizenship. I'll be applying through Detroit. I'll ask them to send an email or phone but so far I have not been able to reach them.
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite

Post by TerraLavoro »

Another approach might be for you to check the Detroit consulate's website to see if their instructions regarding legalization of documents issued by countries other than the U.S. is online, and if so, link that page in an email to the Costa Rican embassy.
TerraLavoro
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

I applied through NYC and when my family was done my brother did it in japan. I remember that the italian consulate in japan had to get his documents authenticated by the NYC consulate despite the fact it had an apostille. However the consulate facilitated all of this while we waited so I wouldn't worry. Just get all your documents verified in anyway you can and hope they will inform you of issues
arturo.c
Veteran
Veteran

Post by arturo.c »

Apostilles issued in one country should be recognized as valid by any other country who signed the 1961 Hague convention. Maybe it's the Italian translation of the documents that is required to be certified by the Italian Embassy or Consulate in their country of origin.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

yes Arturo you are correct in theory....... when it happened to me by that time I was a pro and had everything certified and apostilled to the point where the NYS department of State employees knew me by name. It is obvious that certain consulate employees just want to make it harder. there are more and more loops being added to jump through all the time.
arturo.c
Veteran
Veteran

Post by arturo.c »

sceaminmonkey wrote:It is obvious that certain consulate employees just want to make it harder. there are more and more loops being added to jump through all the time.
Honestly, I can't really agree with this statement. Consular employees who deal with the public are usually not a happy lot and my fellow countrymen are no exception to that, but adding extra hurdles for no reason would be terribly inconvenient not only for applicants but for themselves as well.

Have you ever tried to represent your grievances to their superiors? Getting straight to the Consul could prove difficult, but it is usually the deputy consul who handles personnel issues. A letter to him (or her) with specific details (names, dates and circumstances) could sort some effect. If left unanswered for more than two weeks, sending a copy to the office of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs who deals with citizenship issues could bring results.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

Honestly, I can't really agree with this statement. Consular employees who deal with the public are usually not a happy lot and my fellow countrymen are no exception to that, but adding extra hurdles for no reason would be terribly inconvenient not only for applicants but for themselves as well.

unfortunately it is based more on fact than it is opinion. The consulate staff are notorious for being di**s. I can confirm that they did make us hop through hurdles . Take my word for it the consular staff are not happy seeing so many people qualify for citizenship so easily and could give less of a crap. contacting them is also not going to do much good unless you re extremely persistent in harassing them. Arturo is extremely misinformed or has a staff member who just got lucky. Even an italian was complaining to me during an appointment what jerks the staff are in nyc and how he is ashamed to be italian when he goes there. trust me if they didn't want to make it more difficult this forum wouldn't exist !