Jure Sanguinis Document Help!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
AlexanderWaltz

Jure Sanguinis Document Help!

Post by AlexanderWaltz »

Hey everyone! I'm sorry if this question has been asked/answered already, but I'm new to the forum and I'm not quite savvy on how to navigate it. :?

So, I'm in the process of claiming my Italian citizenship, (jure sanguinis), and I've run into a few obstacles. The first being, I need to order a copy of my grandfather's birth certificate. I know there are a few sites out there that will charge you for their services, but I wouldn't know where to begin. Does anyone know what the most reputable one tends to be?
I also know that it would be possible to write to the comune of his birthplace and request it myself, but I wouldn't know where to start.
I've also read that there are a few knowledgeable people on this site who might be able to help me find out how I can go about acquiring the birth certificate. If any of these extra-informative people happen to read this, please shoot me a PM! :)

The next issue I've run into, is the Apostille certificates required need to be translated into Italian! Does this mean I can translate them myself, onto a simple word document, and print it out and mail it along with the other documents? Or is there a specific place I have to have them translated officially by- like a bureau of vital statistics, or the like?

Lastly, I need his certificate of Italian Citizenship (certificato di cittadinanza italiana), but again, I wouldn't know where to look.

If anyone has any information of how I should go about handling these tasks, please shoot me a message! I've always wanted to be able to live in Italy, and once I found out that I qualified for the citizenship, I jumped right on it!

Thanks for any help, everyone! :D :D :D

-Alexander
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Jure Sanguinis Document Help!

Post by adelfio »

What is his name his parents the town and year of birth?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
k9obsessed

Post by k9obsessed »

The apostille does not need to be translated, but any document that requires an apostille will need to be translated. You can translate them yourself, if you have a basic knowledge/understanding of Italian. DO NOT use Bing or Google translate.
Write to the comune of his birth and request the estratto di nascita for him. There is no charge (usually), although if using a service they will charge you. If your grandparents were married in Italy, you will also need an extract of their marriage and the extract of your grandmother's birth.
As far as the certificato di cittadinanza italiana, I'm not sure. Why would that be needed if you have his Italian birth certificate? You WILL need his citizenship papers, if he became a citizen in his adopted country, or proof that he did not renounce his Italian citizenship before your parent was born.
Hope this helps.
Michele Ferrantino
Researching surnames :
Ferrandina; Dianora, DeCicco, DiPrimo from Pomarico, MT
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite

Post by TerraLavoro »

The certificate of Italian Citizenship is usually only required by the consulates in Canada. Here is the request form that can be used, from the Toronto Consulate's web site.

http://www.constoronto.esteri.it/NR/rdo ... omune1.pdf
TerraLavoro
k9obsessed

Post by k9obsessed »

TerraLavoro wrote:The certificate of Italian Citizenship is usually only required by the consulates in Canada.
Thanks for the info. Being in California, I didn't know that.
Michele Ferrantino
Researching surnames :
Ferrandina; Dianora, DeCicco, DiPrimo from Pomarico, MT