gathering italian birth and marriage certificates

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mcarno

gathering italian birth and marriage certificates

Post by mcarno »

Hello,

I'm an Australian of Italian descent currently living in the UK and am trying to work out the fastest and most efficient way of obtaining my grandparents' birth certificates and marriage certificate from Stilo, Reggio Calabria.
I want to apply for Italian citizenship myself but am finding it very difficult to move forward with the process as information seems to be vague at times and conflicting across different websites.

If somebody could help me:
1) with information on how to order my grandparents' birth and marriage certificates
and 2) have any advice or know if as an Australian, can I apply for my Italian citizenship through the London Italian consulate office?

Your help would be greatly appreciated :)
jmb44
Rookie
Rookie

Re: gathering italian birth and marriage certificates

Post by jmb44 »

1) Write to the Commune and ask for the documents:
Comune di Stilo, Viale Roma, 34 - 89049 – Stilo (RC)
I believe you can find templates in Italian for the letters on this website and others to help you ask for precisely what you need.
I was able to get my ancestors records rather quickly from another commune in Italy.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

If you have legal, permanent residency in the UK other than with a student visa, you should be able to apply through the Italian consulate in London.
mcarno

Post by mcarno »

Hi jennabet and jmb44 thank you so much for your replies and information. Very useful!

I'm on a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa here, which is a working visa, so I'm hoping that meets the UK requirements for applying.

If not, do you happen to know if I can apply for citizenship actually in Italy? Or does it need to be in the country you reside in?

Thanks for your input
Michelle
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Hi Michelle. In order to apply in Italy, you would also need to establish residency but you would not be allowed to work while your papers were being processed.