Questions and Assistance

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
byronpolokruger

Questions and Assistance

Post by byronpolokruger »

Hi All

I have a few questions as I need some guidance with this tedious task of possible Italian citizenship.

I believe that I am eligible for Italian citizenship through my maternal grandfather. However, every time we seem to be moving forward, we get asked for anothe document which takes us three steps back.

Currently I have the following documents (all apostilled and translated)
Grandfathers birth certificate (1921)
Grandparents marriage certificate (1965)
Grandfathers certificate of naturilization (1966)
Fathers birth certificate (1953)
Mothers birth certificate (1961)
Parents marriage certificate (1989)
My birth certificate (1987)
Grandfathers death certificate (2001)

We have now been told that my mother was born out of wedlock, which by the dates we can see. Furthermore, we have been told to get the divorce certificate of my grandfather as he was married before he married my grandmother.

Does this certificate really matter? Surely because he was married to my grandmother, albeit after the birth of my mother, and that the fact my mother was born with my grandfathers surname, he accepted fatherhood?

Also, it needs to be noted, all documentation thus far have been in favour of us getting citizenship. Our last stress was the date of naturilization. Thank god he did this a year or two after the required date.

Currently we are all South African so I would really like some assistance or guidance on what next to do.

Thanks
Byron
mler
Master
Master

Re: Questions and Assistance

Post by mler »

The divorce documents are necessary since they apply to a marriage that took place before the marriage to your grandmother. These records are required so that they can be registered in Italy.
byronpolokruger

Post by byronpolokruger »

I appreciate it.

Once I have this document, then what? I apologize for the questions but it's so difficult to find South Africans who have done this. Google only supplies info for Americans
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

It should not be much different from the U.S. process. Some consulates do require birth certificates from the non-Italian line. Only your consulate can tell you if they do. You may want to check the "Consulate" forum at www.italiancitizenship.freeforums.org That is where posters indicate what was required at the various consulates when they applied. You may find someone from SA there.