Passport naming question

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
wcbarrett

Passport naming question

Post by wcbarrett »

I have the passport of my great-grandmother from about 1901-03, listing her name as Teresa Frangione daughter of Vincenzo and Teresa Morelli. My question: When listing parents on passports, is the mother listed with her maiden name (in this case Morelli) or is this suggestive that Teresa the daughter is married?

I have married as a question since I have her marriage certificate to my great-gfather, Rafaelle Sacco but unfortunately the family stories are unclear of she had a prior marriage or was adopted. Attached is a screenshot of her Passport in Italian. Thanks for any assistance.
Bill
Screen Shot 2015-02-05 at 6.40.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-02-05 at 6.40.29 PM.png (115.03 KiB) Viewed 635 times
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Passport naming question

Post by Tessa78 »

Women in Italy maintain their maiden name.

Your grandmother's surname is Frangione, the same as her father.
HER mother's surname is Morelli, which would be her father's surname.

In Italian records a woman is identified with her maiden name. For example, if you were to search for Teresa's mother's death record, you would search for Teresa Morelli, not Frangione. :D

T.
wcbarrett

Post by wcbarrett »

Thank you Tessa78! This is very helpful as I start researching my Italian roots.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Glad to help! :-)

A great beginner resource to learn more about Italian records is the book Discovering Your Italian Ancestors by Lynn Nelson. It contains explanations and samples of the civil and church records with illustrations in Italian and with English translations. A good study guide before you "jump in."

Another more comprehensive resource is Trafford Cole's Italian Genealogicial Records.

T.