Dual Citizenship marriage record conumdrum

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
sromeo

Dual Citizenship marriage record conumdrum

Post by sromeo »

I have all my dual citizenship docs except a NYC marriage record for my deceased grandparents from the 1930s. It is possible they never married or the record is gone due to a fire that destroyed the record decades ago.

Will a census from 1940 that shows they were married be accepted? Or will this be a automatic denial due to the lack of this one record?
mler
Master
Master

Re: Dual Citizenship marriage record conumdrum

Post by mler »

Although the marriage certificate is listed as a required document, citizenship is passed even through unmarried parents. As long as you can demonstrate an unbroken citizenship line, there is no basis to deny your claim. Do obtain as many supporting documents as you can.
jmb44
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Dual Citizenship marriagmdrum

Post by jmb44 »

If they were married in a catholic church there would be a church record. The archdiocese of NY may or may not have centralized records, however they probably have an archivist who may lead you to the most obvious parish, particularly if you know from census records where they lived at the time.
waleed222

Post by waleed222 »

We have the ship's name and the date of the birth. Is there any way to get a copy of the birth certificate? Does being born in Italian waters make one an Italian citizen?
Markham12

Post by Markham12 »

waleed222 wrote:We have the ship's name and the date of the birth. Is there any way to get a copy of the birth certificate? Does being born in Italian waters make one an Italian citizen?
i don't think that dual citizenship is such a big problem in itlay
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Italian citizenship is not based on where you were born. It is dependent on the citizensh of your parents.