Illegal Migrant Situation in Italy

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jennabet
Master
Master

Illegal Migrant Situation in Italy

Post by jennabet »

Italian news channel SKY TG24 is asking the following online question of it's viewers:

"Migranti, il Papa e Mattarella: serve intervento deciso dell'UE. Tu sei ottimista o pessimista?" Translation: Migrants -- the Pope and Italian president, Mattarella say we need decisive intervention from the European Union. Are you optimistic or pessimistic?

The online poll reveals that 78% of Italians are Pessimistic and 22% of Italians are Optimistic.

Your opinions on the migrant emergency in Italy? Any ideas how Italy should solve this problem?
DRuss
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Illegal Migrant Situation in Italy

Post by DRuss »

First they need to destroy the smugglers' boats. Then they need to make arrangements with some nearby third-world countries to take the "refugees." According to the law of the sea, the Italian navy must help these "refugees" if they call SOS. But that doesn't mean they have to be brought to Italy. They should be taken to countries similar to the ones they came from - Morocco, Egypt, etc. That will remove the incentive for them to be economic migrants.

It's ridiculous for Italy to be obliged, by the EU, UN or any other organisation, to take uneducated African "refugees" at all. They are nothing other than economic migrants and it is obvious that those hoodlums will never integrate into Italian society.

As for the ones who are already in Italy, I for one hope that we will soon have a far right government to sort this problem out.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I'm guessing the other countries in the EU are not very willing to assist Italy, but since many migrants intend to head north, they really need to understand that this is not just Italy's problem. With the warmer weather, more and more migrants will be heading to Europe, and can the EU really absorb such a huge influx of people?

There are no easy solutions, and that may well explain the pessimism.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Some Italians have literally lost their minds over the migrant situation. Two years ago, a prime minister on the Left awarded Italian citizenship to 300 illegal African aliens that drowned trying to reach Italy. Now they are equating the birth of an African baby born on an Italian rescue ship to the royal birth in England. Again, they have lost their minds. By the way, if you're coming to Italy on vacation this summer, be prepared to be harassed by thousands of illegals roaming the streets all over Italy demanding hand-outs. You literally cannot sit in a bar, restaurant, or café or even walk down the street without being accosted for money. It is truly a pathetic situation.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Jennabet, you live in southern Italy, where the problem is more acute, but I have a good friend who lives in northern Italy who has similar concerns. She has told me that housing is provided in her town and that the migrants are given a daily stipend. I'm not sure if this is totally accurate or just a local rumor, but clearly Italy does not have the resources--both socially and economically--to deal with this huge influx of destitute people.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

It's totally accurate. Yesterday recent migrants refused accommodations in a hotel in the province of Pisa because it was too isolated, there is no TV, No WI-FI -- AND the hotel has single women as guests -- a big no-no for the mostly Muslim migrants. Meanwhile in Italy, disabled Italian citizens who have Italian parents and Italian grand-parents receive 250 Euros a month from the State but uninvited guests who cross the Mediterranean get food and accommodation and services worth 1,000 Euros a month.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

I might also mention that the migrant situation in Italy has already affected us (Italian citizens) in that it forced us out of our neighborhood. We lived in a zone a little north of downtown Centro and sometimes we needed to take the bus. But the busses became so crowded with illegal immigrants who ride for free that there were no seats for the paying customers. Our local government promised the citizens an alternative transit system to alleviate the crowding and they started the work on it but it never got finished because they ran out of funds. Can you guess why they ran out of funds for the project? So the best solution for us was to move downtown where we don't have to take the bus at all. I'm sure many other Italian citizens are being similarly affected in one way or another.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

My friend said that each migrant receives a 36 Euro a day stipend. I found this hard to believe, but your numbers seem to confirm it. I honestly don't know how Italy can continue to absorb this huge influx of people.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

I think they don NOT receive a 36 € a day stipend. Nevertheless, that can be the cost Italian government has to afford for each of them.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

This stipend is real, BUT it is paid to those who provide the services, like food and housing. The immigrant receives very little of this money but those provide the services are doing just fine.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.