Visit Limit for Non-Citizen Wife of Citizen

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Tellaro

Visit Limit for Non-Citizen Wife of Citizen

Post by Tellaro »

Hello All,

I have recently been granted citizenship and acquired my passport. My wife is not a yet a citizen. We are working on it, but it could take quite a while. When we next visit Italy, how long can my wife stay and what paperwork might she need? What if we make a move there for a longer period of time? I have been told as long as we have proof of marriage (like our marriage certificate) there will not be any problems for her staying longer than the three month limit for non-citizens, but I am not sure that is true.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!
jennabet
Master
Master

Re: Visit Limit for Non-Citizen Wife of Citizen

Post by jennabet »

As an Italian citizen entering Italy on an Italian passport, you would also be required to register at the Comune if you intend to stay in Italy more than three months. Your non citizen wife would have the right to stay with you as long as you can prove you're married.
Tellaro

Post by Tellaro »

Thank you, jennabet. What you say is true only if I have my wife with me? If alone, as a citizen, I would not need to register, correct?
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

No, it doesn't have anything to do with your wife. All Italian citizens must be accounted for if they're in Italy longer than three months.
Tellaro

Post by Tellaro »

Thanks again, jennabet!