dual citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
monde

dual citizenship

Post by monde »

Could someone please help with advise. I would like to know if I qualify for dual citizenship through my mother.

1. GGF (maternal) born in Italy nd moved to South Africa, married my GGM in 1914

2. had 3 daughters

3. My GM born in 1917

4. GM marries GF & have 9 kids (5 boys & 4 girls)

5. MOTHER born in 1943 (2nd born)

6. ME (1972) & Sister (1974)

Seeing that my mother was born amongst siblings born before & after 1 january 1948, would we have to get the services of a lawyer (expensive) or could I have this done by the consulate?
Thank you.

Monde
dojo
Rookie
Rookie

Re: dual citizenship

Post by dojo »

Yes, it looks like a 1948 case at first glance. I'm not familiar with South African law at the time, but I think it would also depend on naturalizations and maybe the citizenship laws around that time in both South Africa and Italy. Best bet would be to contact an Italian citizenship lawyer. I am in the middle of a case with Luigi Paiano, and he has been great so I would definitely recommend him. He becomes a lot more affordable when people are added to split the cost too. Also, keep looking around this forum or the other Italian citizenship forum for some threads on Italian immigrants to South Africa.
monde

Post by monde »

Thanks dojo for yo response. As far as I know my GGF never naturalised coz he went back to Italy, presumably for medical reasons nd never made it back.
my last question: are my uncles nd aunts affected by the 1948 rule coz my granny, their mother was born in 1917 to an Italian man?
Im asking so I can suggest we combine financialy to lighten the costs.

thanks again nd I wil definitely approach the consulate
dojo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dojo »

Those born before 1948 (to your GM) would have to join the suit, those born on/after Jan 1, 1948 should be able to go through the consulate. It's also worth noting the nationality of your GF and when it occurred, in some marriages the woman lost her citizenship. I'm not sure how it all works for South African law though, so hopefully someone else can jump in here and help out with the specifics.

Edit: For the aunts and uncles born before 1948 (like your mother), their descendants would also have to join the suit if they were interested.
monde

Post by monde »

My GF was also south african & they were married on the 26/08/1939 & regarding the laws South africa was a british colony by then so i have to look into that.
thanks again for your help & patience