Italian Citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
CiaoGina
Rookie
Rookie

Italian Citizenship

Post by CiaoGina »

Hello all,
I am trying to figure out which documents I need for my application. The commune of San Fele sent me 3 different marriage documents but no birth records. I know I will get nowhere trying to contact them directly. They were of no help when I visited and it was only through genealogy researchers that I even got these marriage records which weren't what I asked for.

1)I am searching the internet trying to figure out which site to use to order my gr grandfather's birth certificate- who do I trust?

2)How do I prove my gr grandfather did or did not give up his Italian citizenship?

3)What else do I need to present to the Italian consulate?

Thanks
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite

Re: Italian Citizenship

Post by TerraLavoro »

You might want to check you this online forum instead:

http://italiancitizenship.freeforums.org/

Without more information from you, especially with respect to your question 3, we can't give good answers to your questions. For instance, from what ancestor are you claiming Italian citizenship?, where did your GGF live in the United States? at which Consulate do you intend to apply?

Why was your "genealogy researcher" not able to get you the documents that you need?
TerraLavoro
CiaoGina
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Italian Citizenship

Post by CiaoGina »

The genealogy researcher asked the clerk at the anagrafe for the birth record and he sent the wrong documents. When we saw him in person he refused to make a copy of the birth record so they called him a few weeks later.

Again, it is my gr grandfather who moved to the USA.

He lived in NYC and I made an appt with San Francisco consulate

I have looked on many sites about the process but am more confused.
Thanks in advance
Gina