Grandmother's US Birth Certificate Does Not Seem to Exist

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
MaddalenaNYC
Veteran
Veteran

Grandmother's US Birth Certificate Does Not Seem to Exist

Post by MaddalenaNYC »

In lieu of a US birth certificate, would a US baptismal certificate suffice?

I had thought, through her death certificate, that my grandmother had been born in either Brooklyn, NY or Manhattan, NY in 1881. Brooklyn was not a part of NYC in 1881 and as such, I had the NYC Municipal Archives search both.

Nothing was found. It could be that I had the date wrong even though I was using the date of her death certificate for same. I do believe that I may go in person to the Municipal Archives to search on my own but in the event that there is no birth certificate as perhaps Grandmother was born at home and did not at that time have the need for an Social Security number as Social Security did not exist, would the Italian Consulate accept a Baptismal record.

Thanks.

Maddalena
mler
Master
Master

Re: Grandmother's US Birth Certificate Does Not Seem to Exist

Post by mler »

The baptismal certificate will probably be ok if she's not in the direct line.

I am also unable to locate my grandmother's birth certificate. She was born in 1900 in NYC. It seems that many births were not officially registered during that period, so it's entirely possible that no record exists. When I applied, documents for those not in the direct line were not needed, so it wasn't an issue. I would love to have the record though.
MaddalenaNYC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MaddalenaNYC »

I am in NYC and I will be going in person to the Municipal Archives in Manhattan within the next few weeks. It is free to search in person. Let me know what you need and I will also look for your grandmother's info.
MaddalenaNYC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MaddalenaNYC »

My paternal grandmother is not the direct line. On this side of the family (my father's) , I am going as follows:

Me (born in the US after 1948)
Father (born in the US circa 1913)
Grandfather (born in the US circa 1875)
Great-Grandfather (born Neirone circa 1850)

There may be some issues with my great-grandfather's birth date. Also, I have submitted a FOIA to the USCIS to ascertain when if indeed he did, naturalize.

On my mother's side, I am researching the following:

Me born in the US after 1948. My mother born US in 1921. Her father, my grandfather, born outside of Naples in the late 1800s. I have also requested a FOIA from the USCIS to ascertain when my grandfather, my mother's father, naturalized. I am hopeful that that date would be after 1922.

Again, if I can do anything for you in NYC, please let me know. Over many years, this website and forum has given me so much information. I would like to pay back the favors of the participants of this website.

Best regards,
Madeleine (Maddalena)
MaddalenaNYC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MaddalenaNYC »

Well, I think grandmother lied about her age. Family lore had always said that she was 16 years old when she married. She married in 1904 and her death certificate has a birth date of 1888, which jives. But her recently obtained marriage certificate from NYC, dated October 1904 gives her age as 19.

I am hoping, owing to vanity that she shaved a few years off of her age as she grew older.

It is back to the Municipal Archives in NYC now to search for any and all birth records for her in any borough of NYC from 1885.