Also need 2 birth certificates and marriage certificate for great grandparents

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
HomefromBoston

Also need 2 birth certificates and marriage certificate for great grandparents

Post by HomefromBoston »

This site is wonderful! I am so happy to have found you all.

We are looking for birth certificates and a marriage certificate for my great grandparents, both from Lipari.

Nati:
Angelo Paino, September 9, 1888
Maria Niose , December 27, 1886

Matrimoni: ?
The archives here don't show a marriage for them in the US. The 1930 census says he came here in 1913 and she followed in early 1914.

Could they have gotten married before they immigrated? Or perhaps I need to dig further here in the states? There were a lot of Painos headed here during that period.

Any advice for how to get these records would be most welcome.

Grazie,

J. Grenier
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Also need 2 birth certificates and marriage certificate for great grandparents

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website
Where did Angelo and Maria settle in the USA?
I searched Lipari records Angelo Paino, September 9, 1888 no record

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
HomefromBoston

Re: Also need 2 birth certificates and marriage certificate for great grandparents

Post by HomefromBoston »

Hello Marty, thanks for your reply.

They lived in Waltham, Massachusetts. Just outside of Boston. Here is the link for the 1930 US census: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XQPT-QVS

Angelo's Parents are John Paino and Josephine Palamara.

Mary Noise (also listed as Maria on some documents) has her parents listed as Carmelo Niose and Angelina Henninati - Neither of their parents made the trip to the United States that I know of.

One of Angelo's records also lists his home town a Lavari, but I can't find any record of such a place. Others list Lipari. I assumed the person writing it for him wrote it wrong. Is it possible
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Angelo Paino looks like was born in Filicudi, frazione of Lipari province Messina

United States World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942

Name Angelo Paino
Event Type Draft Registration
Event Date 1942
Event Place Waltham, Middlesex, Massachusetts, United States
Residence Place Waltham, Middlesex, Massachusetts
Gender Male
Birth Date 26 Nov 1886

PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V122-ZCX

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Are you sure of Angelo parents names?
Birth record of Angelo Paino matches draft card info
Index#37
1886 Sept 26 recorded born on the 25th in the town of Filicudi, frazione of Lipari birth of Angelo Paino son of Giovanni Paino age 40 farmer and Caterina Bonica

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,179270201

Marty

Marty
HomefromBoston

Post by HomefromBoston »

The names I got were from Angelo's death certificate. I have Mary Niose's death certificate too.

There also seems to be some record of "another Angelo Piano" in the records archive for the Public Library of Waltham - the other Angelo, if he exists, married a woman named Maria Giardina - They married in 1914 and moved to NY city or a few years (1911 census) and had several children - none of those childrens names matches my grandfather, my uncles or aunts.

Confusing :)

Following your lead, I found the following index on Ancestry.com

Name: Angelo Paino
Race: White
Birth Date: 26 Nov 1886
Birth Place: Messina, Italy
Father Name: John Paino
Mother Name: Caterina Boniga
Type of Claim: Original SSN.
Notes: Apr 1938: Name listed as ANGELO PAINO

Assuming that my great-grandfather is the man listed in this certificate, would Messina have potential records for Angelo's birth? If so, should I also look there for Mary Niose and a marriage record for the two of them? It's hard to know if they married before they came here or not.

I'm going to see if I can locate them on for Messina (which is a district in Lipari?).

It's a difficult search and records seem to be incomplete, but it's worth the time and effort I have spent in the last few months:

If all goes well, I am taking my mother to Italy next spring. She has always wanted too go, but could never afford the trip - She is 70 this year and been in ill health. I would very much like to give her this information and take her to the family homeland if I can.

I appreciate your help in all of this. You are an angel.

- J
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

What street did Angelo Paino live on in Waltham, Middlesex, Massachusetts and what were the kids names?

Marty

Marty
HomefromBoston

Post by HomefromBoston »

The 1930 census lists the address as 189 Charles Street,Waltham, Massachusetts.
The 1940 census listed them at 292 River Street, Waltham, Massachusetts
HomefromBoston

Post by HomefromBoston »

The 1930 census lists the address as 189 Charles Street,Waltham, Massachusetts.
The 1940 census listed them at 292 River Street, Waltham, Massachusetts

My Grandfather was Carmello.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Well, I'm a bit lost, so I'm not sure you need it...
This is the ship manifest for Maria Niosi, going to join husband Angelo PaCino in Waltham.
It says place of birth Lipari.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... :219534601
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
HomefromBoston

Post by HomefromBoston »

Pippo, It does look right. Thank you for this record!

I'm planning on writing to the city of Lipari to see if I can find the Birth certificate for her, and for Angelo. Looks like they may also have married there, before coming here.

I'd like to find all three records, if possible.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I did some looking in Lipari here is a possible brother of Maria Niosi
Birth record of Antonino Niosi
Index#259
1889 Sept 9th in the town of Lipari in a house in contrada Bosco the birth of Antonino Niosi son of Carmelo Niosi age 40 farmer and Angela Beninati (typo on death record of Angelina Henninati )

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,179265401

Marty

Marty
HomefromBoston

Post by HomefromBoston »

Hi Marty,

Yes this is right! Maria's father was Carmello, who my grandfather was named for. Antonio was listed in the 1930 census as living in Maria and Angelo's house!

I'm going to spend some time looking for Maria and Angelo further from the link you provide. It would be easier if my Italian was better, but I'm still a newbie there.

I'd like to write to Lipari for the records soon.

Jim
Niose

Post by Niose »

That Antonino Niose dob 9/9/1889 was my grandfather. Lived most of his adult life in Waltham, Massachusetts, USA. Died around 1986.