My journey for dual citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
bde123

My journey for dual citizenship

Post by bde123 »

My maternal great grandfather was Italian born and died there.

He came to the U.S. briefly around 1928 obtained his "certificate of citizenship" here in 1931. My grandmother (his daughter) was born in 1934, in the U.S.

My great grandfather returned to Italy for over 40 years after his brief time in the U.S. and was even remarried in Italy from 1951-1991. He obviously retained his citizenship.

Does this disqualify me from getting mine because of the date he signed his certificate of citizenship, even though he never renounced through Italy and retained/regained his citizenship?

He (my great grandfather) was back in Italy when my mother was born (1954) if that makes any difference.
jennabet
Master
Master

Re: My journey for dual citizenship

Post by jennabet »

If your great-grandfather became a naturalized American citizen in 1931, he was no longer Italian when his daughter was born in 1934 so she did not inherit Italian citizenship from him. If your great-grand-father returned to Italy after being naturalized as a US citizen, he did not retain his Italian citizenship but would have taken steps in Italy to get it back but this would not have affected the status of your grand-mother.
mler
Master
Master

Re: My journey for dual citizenship

Post by mler »

Jennebet is correct. Even if he did reacquire his Italian citizenship, it would not be reacquired for his American daughter.

One thing you may want to check, though, is if your great-grandmother acquired Italian citizenship when she married your great grandfather. If she was still Italian when your grandmother was born, you may have a viable 1948 case.