How do we move forward if siblings are applying for dual citizenship together but fall under separate jurisdictions

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
nicole_i

How do we move forward if siblings are applying for dual citizenship together but fall under separate jurisdictions

Post by nicole_i »

Hello - I know that this has been a topic on here before, but I'm still a little uncertain as to the best way to move forward. My brother and I are applying for dual citizenship together and when I originally started this process (i.e. gathering all of the documents from Italy and different states), we were both under the same jurisdiction. However, he has since moved and only spends a small amount of time in the same jurisdiction as me, so now we technically fall under separate jurisdictions. We have one full set of documents between us because I was under the impression that if multiple family members apply at the same time, we only need one set of docs. How do we move forward with this? Should I use the address that he was at when I began this process? I've heard that some consulates are more strict than others. I'm sure there are other families facing the same issue, so I'm hoping there is a work-around for accommodating these requests.

thank you in advance for your insight & advice.
Dfio

Re: How do we move forward if siblings are applying for dual citizenship together but fall under separate jurisdictions

Post by Dfio »

I would also like to know as My brother and I have the same issue
mler
Master
Master

Re: How do we move forward if siblings are applying for dual citizenship together but fall under separate jurisdictions

Post by mler »

Generally, if you are applying in two jurisdictions, you will need two document sets. If your brother has paperwork that enables him to prove he still resides in your jurisdiction, by all means apply at your consulate. But understand that the address is not enough. He will need proof of residence.

As an alternative, your brother may want to contact his consulate and ask if they will allow him to apply based on your successful application. That will mean that he must wait for your recognition. Not all consulates will be willing to do this, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Best bet is to order more documents.