Proof of Name Change for woman after Marriage

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
AdrianBattaglia27
Rookie
Rookie

Proof of Name Change for woman after Marriage

Post by AdrianBattaglia27 »

Has anyone had to request proof of name change from the Social Security Administration in the case of an American woman marrying an Italian man and taking his family name afterwards? My mother took my dad's name when she married in 1968 and received a new SS card with her married name on it after -- the name change was done by her marriage not in a court. Does anyone know what kind of document the SSA can issue showing the same SSN to the one woman with maiden name and then married name? Can this be apostilled by the state dept? THANKS
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Proof of Name Change for woman after Marriage

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Is your mother deceased?

You can order a copy of her SS-5 original application for social security card, but I have no idea whether that will come with proof of her married name as well as her maiden name. Since 1980-something, it has been necessary to obtain a social security number at birth; back in the 1960's you typically did not apply for one until you took your first paying job. Depending on your mother's situation, her original application may contain both surnames. See http://genealogy.about.com/od/online_re ... equest.htm

If you haven't already, try contacting Social Security Administration and ask your question directly: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
AdrianBattaglia27
Rookie
Rookie

thanks -- no she is alive and well (we're in process of getting her Italian passport)

I did send the SSA the question, waiting for reply... will check out that other link you posted thanks!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Okay, can I ask then what is the reason for needing proof of name change?

Italian passports are always issued in the birth name, even for married women. This is true even for US citizens who obtain Italian citizenship.

PS: my initial post contained a bad link; I have since fixed it.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
AdrianBattaglia27
Rookie
Rookie

ah yes I noticed that link didn't work! will try again!

Well, being very used to euro-bureaucracy, [ I lived there many years as a kid], I want to have a legal document to keep just in case the consular official questions my mother's identity, since her passport and dr. license have my dad's family name - after divorce she kept it and didn't go back to her maiden name]. The divorce degree doesn't give her maiden name, but gives the date and location of the marriage. I am just afraid they could cause trouble my asking for proof that my mother today (with my last name) is the same woman listed on my parents' marriage certificate as registered with our commune in Italy. She has her older SSN card showing her maiden name, and the new card with her married name. I thought if she got a letter from the SSA attesting to the fact she is one and the same and changed her name by marriage that would suffice. (I wouldn't raise the issue unless the consulate does).
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Generally the progression is:

Birth certificate
Marriage certificate
Divorce certificate

The marriage certificate is the connection between the two surnames.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

AdrianBattaglia27 wrote: Well, being very used to euro-bureaucracy, [ I lived there many years as a kid], I want to have a legal document to keep just in case the consular official questions my mother's identity, since her passport and dr. license have my dad's family name - after divorce she kept it and didn't go back to her maiden name]. The divorce degree doesn't give her maiden name, but gives the date and location of the marriage. I am just afraid they could cause trouble my asking for proof that my mother today (with my last name) is the same woman listed on my parents' marriage certificate as registered with our commune in Italy. She has her older SSN card showing her maiden name, and the new card with her married name. I thought if she got a letter from the SSA attesting to the fact she is one and the same and changed her name by marriage that would suffice. (I wouldn't raise the issue unless the consulate does).
If you're familiar with Euro bureaucracy, surely you understand that Europeans are often quite concerned at how easily Americans change their names. It's also probably a good reason for all the identity theft that takes place in the USA which the authorities can't seem to stop warning people about. So, yes I can see why you might have a concern with the consulate questioning your mother's identity but you probably don't need to worry about this.