New twist on 1948 issue-advice appreciated

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
alombroso

New twist on 1948 issue-advice appreciated

Post by alombroso »

I was born in Italy in 1948, My father, also born in Italy, was a naturalized US citizen in 1947. My Polish mother who had become an Italian citizen after marrying my father also became a naturalized US citizen in 1947. The Boston consulate claimed that since my parents had renounced their Italian citizenship before my birth, I was out of luck.
My parents returned to Italy before my birth (I am researching the exact date) and remained in Genova until 1950. My sister and I were with them. Since they lived in Italy for over 2 years, does that mean they 'reacquired' their Italian citizenship? Since I was born there and stayed in Italy for @ 2 years, does that mean I also should be able to have dual citizenship?
I would appreciate any input and advice, before going the route of hiring a lawyer.
Anna
mler
Master
Master

Re: New twist on 1948 issue-advice appreciated

Post by mler »

It would work if you can document the residency.
Dallendria

Re: New twist on 1948 issue-advice appreciated

Post by Dallendria »

Have you had any luck in pursuing since August? Just throwing this out there, I've recently written a blog post about one of the lawyers who may be able to help get this overturned if you do need to go down that route. Super nice guy, it was a pleasure to interview him. We're working together to get the word out that the 1948 rule is gender discrimination and can be overturned in the courts. You can find my post here http://kassandraperlongo.wordpress.com/ ... a0b43ca905.

Happy to answer any other questions you may have, I can be reached at kassandra.perlongo@gmail.com. Good luck with your dual citizenship! :D
Cheers,

Kassie