Trouble finding any history on my surname

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
sigel7
Rookie
Rookie

Trouble finding any history on my surname

Post by sigel7 »

I have checked every web page I can find with surname lists and no a one has my last name (maiden name) Calderoni. I have googled and yahood till I am blue in the face.

Has anyone on here come across any others that I might check? I was just hoping to find a little more history while I await the letters from my grandfathers comune. Things I am curious about are: Is it a true Italian name?? I know in English it means Cauldron (plural) but would that mean that the family, way back when, were probably cooks?

As always, I appreciate the help and insight.

Catherine
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Re: Trouble finding any history on my surname

Post by JohnArmellino »

Calderoni is present in 238 comuni in Italy today. There are large concentrations in Puglia and Emilia Romagna. Go to http://www.gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/ and type in Calderoni where it asks for Cognome and you will be able to view a distribution map.
John Armellino
sigel7
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sigel7 »

Thank you. Emilia Romagna, I believe, is the area where the town Casa Calderoni is located. I wonder if there are any Calderoni's there?? That is a pretty neat website.

Catherine
Looking for Calderoni
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Catherine Calderoni surname is not listed in the Italian surname dictionary which signifies that it is either imported or local in origin and Italianzied. However Calderoni (this spelling) has Portuguese roots extending from Portugal to latin America and in various places thruout Italy. The earliest oddly enough occurs in the 1300's in Northern Italy but the spelling at that time is Calderini occuring in Portugal as well but much later. The surname, however , is not recognized as being Italian and the Portugese comes thru at the roots as it were.=Peter=
~Peter~
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Here is a reference to your surname from www.cognomiitaliani.org.
I've translated it for you too... Hope it helps

elba

CALDERON
CALDERONE
CALDERONI
Calderon è quasi scomparso, Calderone è tipico siciliano, Calderoni ha un ceppo nel ravennate ed uno nel barese, dovrebbe essere di origini spagnole, potrebbe derivare o da un toponimo, di paesi chiamati Calderon in Spagna ce ne sono almeno due, o da un soprannome legate o a caratteristiche di una località o ad un mestiere, il casato dei Calderon lo troviamo come feudatario del re spagnolo in Calabria nel 1600, a Bormio (SO) nel 1507 in un atto si legge: "...Et super hoc dat pro testibus Angelum Redulfini, Antonium Juliani, Simonem Andree Calderoni....".

Translation

CALDERON
CALDERONE
CALDERONI

Calderon has almost disappeared, Calderone is typically Sicilian, Calderoni has a branch in the Ravenna region and one in the Bari region, it should be of Spanish origin, and could derive or be from a place name, from towns in Spain with the name Calderon - there are at least two, or from a nickname tied in with or to the carachteristics of a locality or a profession. The catasto (family name) of the Calderon we find in the feudal domains of the Spanish king in Calabria in the 1600's, and in Bormio (Sondrio) in 1507 we read in an Act: "...Et super hoc dat pro testibus Angelum Redulfini, Antonium Juliani, Simonem Andree Calderoni....". (Sorry - I don't know Latin ....)
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Spain ruled most of Italy from 1560 to 1713 and the Calderoni branch of Spanish origin appeared in larger numbers in Italy. Prior to that time the Calderoni surname of Portuguese origin first appeared in the vicinity of Genova (la Spezia inthe 1300's) and I conjecture that there was not much Portuguese influence between 1300 and 1500 when Spain became the dominant influence in Italy and the Calderoni surname flourished. I wanted to tie up the loose ends so that there is a continuity in answer to your intial inquiry into the history of the Calderoni surname. =Peter=
~Peter~
sigel7
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sigel7 »

Thank you all very much. Now, that is food for thought. Since my grandparents are from northern Italy, it will be fun (and difficult, I imagine) to see if I can go back to that early start in 1300's, or even if i have some very diluted Spanish royal blood.

I really need to learn Italian. My grandparents and my father spoke it, but I guess they figured I would never need it. I learned German in school and Hungarian by living there. Nobody seemed to offer Italian.

Thanks

Catherine
Looking for Calderoni
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Well Bormio in the Province of Sondrio in Lombardy is about as far north as you can get in Italy.... so that may be a place to begin.
sigel7
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sigel7 »

Elba and Peter, can I ask where you guys dug up all of this info? I have searched but came up empty. Do you have a book? If so, may I ask the name and author?

Thank you

Catherine
Looking for Calderoni
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Go to www.familysearch.org and under ancestor search put in Calderoni.

When you get there look for the subdivision International Genealogical Index-Continental Europe -2 for Angela Augusta Calderini 1537 and Anna Calda (portuguese) Austria (no date) sinc e your roots appear to extend north beyond Italy.

=Peter=
~Peter~
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

sigel7 wrote:Elba and Peter, can I ask where you guys dug up all of this info? I have searched but came up empty. Do you have a book? If so, may I ask the name and author?

Thank you

Catherine
Hi Catherine,
I did give you the link of the Italian Surname site I used on my first post
>Cognomi Italiani<
but unfortunately it is all in Italian. As for the knowledge of northern Italy, that is because I have lived here, among the Alps in the north, on and off for many years and have now retired here permanently. Bormio is at the other end of the Valtellina valley where I live.

So I'm afraid I don't have a book that I can recommend to you. Sorry...
sigel7
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sigel7 »

My grandfathers origin comune is Casazza (he has it listed on documents as Mologno but it appears the name has changed), have you been there? Its in the providence of Bergamo. If so, what is it like? give me details, please. Thanks

Catherine
Looking for Calderoni
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casazza for reference. The name was changed in 1927
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

No I haven't been to that town, but it is only about 50/55 miles from me. It is in a beautiful part of the pre-alps near to Lake Iseo. Here are a couple of links to start you off:

http://www.repubblica.it/2007/05/sezion ... _57150.jpg

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... occhia.jpg

But if you just Google Casazza BG for 'Web' or 'Images' you will get quite a lot more
sigel7
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sigel7 »

Wow, the town is beautiful! We are planning a trip in four years and we will definately visit there. I also want to hit my grandmothers origin commune of San Bartolomeo valmare which is just on the border of Switzerland on Lake Maggiore. Just north of Cannobio. Its so beautiful over there I just cant imagine how hard times must have been for them to leave and move to the states. And here I am wanting to leave here and move the family back. Thanks for all of the links.
Looking for Calderoni