DNA Testing

Genetic genealogy is the application of genetics to traditional genealogy. Genetic genealogy involves the use of genealogical DNA testing to determine the level and type of the genetic relationship between individuals.
Russellht

Re: DNA Testing

Post by Russellht »

This is an interesting thread/discussion.

As a newcomer to ancestry research for both my husband's and my heritage, I have been contemplating doing a DNA test through the Ancestry.com site.

My heritage is: polish/Ukrainian on the paternal side and Italian on the maternal side. I've reached a standstill in research beyond both sets of grandparents.

My husband's heritage is questionable to be Irish, English, Scottish, and quite possibly German and I've reached a standstill at 1843 on his paternal side and at 1850 and 1790 on the maternal side.

From what I read in this forum, I gather the ancestry DNA would be a starting point?.

Thank you,
Helen Russell
Thank you kindly,
Helen Terry Russell
Russellht

Post by Russellht »

I am confused.
If I read correctly through the thread above the DNA testing of choice is 23andme, next is FamilyTreeDNA. IS THIS CORRECT.
My family doctor has suggested the National Geographic Genographic project kit.
Other than my son, there is no male relative to submit for detailed paternal data.
I am looking for paternal - Polish/Ukrainian and maternal - Italian.
Which test would anyone recommend if only one test is done?
Not all tests are available in Canada.
Thank you,
Helen
Thank you kindly,
Helen Terry Russell
smas1973
Master
Master

Post by smas1973 »

Helen
You can do Ancestry DNA and have it transfed to FamilyTree at no charge. Familytree is have a promo right know for free transfer. so you can kinda get 2 for 1.
Thank You For All Your Help With The Translation Of This Documents

Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Riggio, & Bondi.

Researching Termini Imerese, Palermo surnames Mascari, Spicuzza, Capone, Catalano & Pusateri
bottino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bottino »

I recently attended the Roots Tech conference and other than an outstanding Italian Genealogy class, i focused my time mostly on the DNA classes. I came back with a lot of excitement in genereal, and little hope for me. I have done a Y test with Family Tree DNA. I even met with the president of the company who reviewed my results. He was not helpful. There are no close matches. FT DNA does three types of tests, Y, mitochondrial DNA, and autosomal DNA. I then heard a talk with 23andme. They now are linked with My Heritage so it is possible to connect with relatives who have also done DNA tests. Unless you don't know that they are relatives, what good is it. Anyway, they seem to focus on your ethnic origins, and tell you all kinds of interesting but useless information about your heritage. I then discovered that they sell all their DNA results to two drug companies. I am not sure about that yet, but presently it is keeping me from giving them my DNA. Finally Ancestry DNA. I ordered a test kit from them even before I got home from Roots Tech. I really believe that if I have any chance connecting with unknown relatives it will be with them. As a trained geneticist myself, I think that their DNA guys understand the inheritance of DNA segments from parents to offspring the best. For anyone wanting to learn a lot about the practical applications of these DNA tests in genealogy, I suggest that you check out the Facebook group, '"Ancestry DNA Matching".
Finally, a quick story. A greek friend of mine, who spent two weeks in Greece last summer doing research, was contacted this winter by two Greek cousins, she knew nothing about, through Ancestry DNA. They actually live in Utah, and she had dinner with them while at Roots Tech.
Is this something we all hope for?
magbag1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by magbag1 »

I have used the Ancestry.com DNA tests and was really excited with the results. Most of my ancestry is from Italy, so my search has brought me here. I'm looking for my Great Grandparents Births and their parents. My Great Grandparents immigrated to the US in the late 1800's. I don't know when exactly or what ship. Or when they got married here in the US. I am hoping with help from here to trace back to my Great Great Grandparents that were left behind in Italy. I do not know where to go from here. I couldn't wait for my tests results. They couldn't get here quick enough. LOL

Thanks,
Margaret
bottino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bottino »

Good for you. I would suggest that you go to the Ellis Island site. They have all the ships lists of passengers on line now. I had go actually go to the national archives and find the ship passenger list with my grandparents on it. It took my wife and me all day to find them.
magbag1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by magbag1 »

Without knowing when they immigrated here or what ship they came on, I have no idea of where to even start looking for them.

I don't know where they left from in Italy.

I spent some time looking on the site and didn't find my great grandmother's name at all when doing a search for her name. As for my great grandfather, the problem I have is what name and spelling was used.

I feel overwhelmed at the moment.

Thank you,
Margaret
Titolabieno

Post by Titolabieno »

Buonasera, sono nuovo di questo sito. Scrivo dall'Italia, ho fatto il test Dna su Family Three. Il mio aplogruppo ydna67 è risultato G, successivamente ho fatto il test Big Y, ed abbiamo scoperto che al momento sono G-L78 negativo per tutti i sottogruppi. In pratica in tutto il mondo siamo solo due persone G-L78 negative per tutti i sottogruppi, io ed il Sig. Melik Alaverdian dell'Armenia. Le nostre mutazioni al momento sono uniche. Spero che prima o poi qualcun altro che ha l'aplogruppo G possa fare il test Big Y e possa avere le mie mutazioni, in questo modo la scienza potrà confermare questo nuovo ramo dell'aplogruppo G. Il mio cognome è Marchegiani, il suo significato è "abitanti della regione Marche". Al momento il più antico antenato che ho trovato risale al 1600 e viveva nella città di Staffolo in provincia di Ancona nella regione Marche. Un mio parente un cugino di mio padre, agli inizi del 1900 emigrò in Argentina dove ha creato una famiglia.
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite

Post by TerraLavoro »

Titolabieno, non parlo Italiano bene.

Anch'io ho Y aplogruppo G. (specificamente G2a3a1). Ho fatto il test con 23andme. Vivo in America, ma la mie radici sono dalla regione di Lazio....Roma, e comuni in Lazio meridionale.

Non ho completato il test "Big Y". Adesso credo che cerchero di saperne di piu.
Cordiali saluti.
TerraLavoro
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lynnef »

I've done DNA testing through ancestry.com. Interesting results especially since I thought most of my genealogy would show up Italian...came back as mostly eastern European! :-) (I'd be interested in Family Tree DNA).
Lynne
bottino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bottino »

I would recommend FTDNA's Y test. and Ancestry's autosomal test. I would not waste my money on a mitochondrial DNA test. You can put your Y data, and Ancestry data into a third party database called Gedmatch. They are especially valuable since they have a chromosome browser, which shows locations on chromosomes where your matches are, and how big your matches are.
Personally I do not favor 23and me. First they are way expensive, second, they sell your DNA results to Pharma companies so they make money off our DNA twice. Finally, they provide a lot of ethnic results. Some people think that this is neat, but it is not that good for genealogical purposes. These are my opinions. Good luck.
peonygirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by peonygirl »

This entire subject of DNA is so interesting. Magbag, it helps to know a few dates to determine the immigration of your ancestors. Have you read the Italian Record Extraction? It is in PDF form on this site - http://www.italiangenealogy.com/italian ... extraction -- you can download it. It helps define the waves of people who came to America. My own grandparents came here in the 3rd wave - turn of the century. If you have a subscription to Ancestry you can do a search, approximating dates. Or you can go to free Familysearch.org and do the same. Good luck.

I am awaiting the lab results of my DNA from Ancestry....should be exciting although I think it will be all Italian but we shall see. Everyone has a preference for their testing -- I just really wanted a better idea of my heritage, no so much a precise definition.
- Peonygirl
Peonygirl
Always Searching....
Jessicacreative

Post by Jessicacreative »

I live in California. Couple of months ago I took ancestry testing at https://dnasu.com/And it revealed that I'm 50% Polish and 30% Pyrenean. I've already got to know what to learn about my Polish ancestry. Now I'd be happy to see any advice on learning Italian culture and doing deeper research on ancestry.
BillAmes

Post by BillAmes »

A Y Chrom test will tell you if two males are from the same line, however it cannot clearly determine surnames, and they have been so greatly modified over time. Please also remember that ancestry testing is not always accurate concerning ethnicity, as there are limits on the DNA these companies have. A good article on this can be found at dnalab4u.com/ancestry-test-wrong. Sometimes the best method of making certain that two people are of the same line before exploring further may be to do a direct STR DNA test. A good resource is Journey Genetic Testing at dna-paternity-testing.com.