The Missing Favazza

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jjasay

The Missing Favazza

Post by jjasay »

Is anyone missing a Favazza in their family tree?

I might be able to find your man if you can help me find everybody else. Let me explain...

My grandfather is quite a conundrum. He had many stories, but he seldom told the same one twice. Unfortunately, I never met him. He died 25 years before I was born. All of his children have now passed away, too.

According to all of the stories, he was born under the surname Favazza. He was known to our family as Louis Jasay. After that, hardly anything is unanimous, as different children had different opinions. I will try to stick to the facts as I know them.

He was born in 1881, although 1879 is a possibility. He told the U.S. Census that he was born in New York, but some said he immigrated from Italy. The census also records that his father was from Italy and his mother was from Germany.

His Social Security (Railroad Retirement Board) application lists his father as Antonio "Jasay" and his mother as Lena, maiden name unknown.

He claimed Anthony "Tony" Favazza as his younger brother. "Uncle Tony" lived in New York City with his wife Rose. I believe he was a shoemaker by trade. I do not think they ever had any children. "Aunt Rose" lived in Baltimore as late as the 1980s.

One of my uncles reported that there was another brother named "Vincent" Favazza that never immigrated to the United States. My uncle corresponded with him many years ago and said that he lived in Palermo, Sicily.

A different uncle told me that there was also a sister somewhere in California. No city or married name was known, but the uncle said that he visited her by train with my grandfather back in the 1940s.

The first verifiable record that I have of him is when he married my grandmother in 1911 in Arkansas. He worked for Union Pacific Railroad in several different cities in Arkansas and Louisiana from 1911 through the 1940s. He died in 1948.

Have any of you heard stories of a missing brother or uncle or cousin? If so, do any of these names match up? If so, I would love to hear from you.

Sincerely,
Johnathan Jasay
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: The Missing Favazza

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Johnathan
since Your missing Favazza is elusive the only thing we can rely on here are your instincts. You said his younger brother may have been a shoemaker and relying on that I found there was a Domenico Favazza, shoemaker who entered the USA in 1906 destined to the midwest at Carbondale, Illinois. Your Favazza was also in the midwest and thinking that perhaps the name Domenico and Carbondale might trigger off some memory, I am passing these observations to you for your consideration.=Peter=
~Peter~
jjasay

Post by jjasay »

Thank you, Peter. If the census and Social Security information that I have reference the correct Anthony/Antonio/Tony Favazza, then he immigrated into the United States via New York in 1921. He worked as a shoemaker there for the state (prison?), and he died in NYC in 1978. It must have been after this that his wife, Rose, moved to Baltimore, where she lived until 1987. I do not think they ever lived in Illinois.

Thanks again,
Johnathan Jasay
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I was under the impression that Antonio was married to your grandmother in Arkansas in 1911 ? =Peter=
~Peter~
jjasay

Post by jjasay »

Sorry for the confusion. My grandfather was Louis Jasay. He claimed Tony Favazza of New York as his brother.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

You could try tracking the following females in immigration records and see if there are any clues to be had.

Look at the family from a broader view.
Do you know of any known associates? Cousins? In laws? Explore all communities in which they lived to turn up any info that lead to actual records. Have you pulled all of Tony and Rose's records? There could be something within them that leads to further information.

"The Family Tree Problem Solver, Proven Methods for scaling the inevitable brick wall " by Marsha Hoffman Rising has numerous tips for researching hard to find family.

California Death Index, 1940-1997

Name: Ursula Dimercurio Loiacono
[Ursula Dimercurio Favazza]
Sex: FEMALE
Birth Date: 30 Mar 1886
Birthplace: Other Country
Death Date: 17 Mar 1955
Death Place: Monterey
Mother's Maiden Name: Lucido
FATHER'S SURNAME: Favazza

Name: Vita Favazza
[Vita Lucido]
Birth Date: 22 May 1890
Birthplace: Other Country
Death Date: 31 Mar 1986
Mother's Maiden Name: Dorio
FATHER'S SURNAME: Lucido

Name: Sara R Favazza
Birth Date: 13 Dec 1897
Birthplace: Italy
Death Date: 26 Feb 1964
Death Place: Los Angeles
Mother's Maiden Name: Lucido

Name: Sarah Cavaliere
[Sarah Favazza]
Social Security #: 562309024
Birth Date: 31 Jan 1921
Birthplace: California
Death Date: 29 Apr 1990
Mother's Maiden Name: Seeno

Name: Santina M Agosta
[Santina M Favazza]
Social Security #: 367306721
Birth Date: 25 Feb 1908
Birthplace: Michigan
Death Date: 16 Apr 1990
Death Place: San Diego
Mother's Maiden Name: Russo

Maybe this will help... :wink:
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

jjasay wrote:Thank you, Peter. If the census and Social Security information that I have reference the correct Anthony/Antonio/Tony Favazza, then he immigrated into the United States via New York in 1921. He worked as a shoemaker there for the state (prison?), and he died in NYC in 1978. It must have been after this that his wife, Rose, moved to Baltimore, where she lived until 1987. I do not think they ever lived in Illinois.

Thanks again,
Johnathan Jasay
hi,
a Antonino Favazza, imm. 1921, shoemaker, father Gaetano in Alessandria della Rocca (sicily) but born in Bisacquino( sicily), joining at Francesco Clementi brother in law : http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0857%2ETIF

1930 census:
1930 United States Federal Census
about Antone Favazza
Name: Antone Favazza
Home in 1930: Manhattan, New York, New York
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1892
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Rose
Race: White

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Antone Favazza 38
Rose Favazza 27

shoemaker, imm. 1921

and a sister of this Antonino Favazza:

Lucia Favazza, coming from Alessandria della Rocca, born in Bisacquino, father Gaetano Favazza in Alessandria della Rocca:

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipmanif ... 0534060129

Francesco Clementi, wife Giuseppa Favazza in Alessandria della Rocca, joining at Michele Clementi brother in Tampa

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0273%2ETIF

and a Luigi Favazza coming from Alessandria della Rocca, imm. Jan 08, 1902
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipmanif ... 3911110272

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Louis Jasoy
Name: Louis Jasoy
City: Not Stated
County: Ashley
State: Arkansas
Birth Date: 17 Apr 1880

Roll: 1522741
DraftBoard: 0

Nearest Relative:

Height/Build:

Color of Eyes/Hair:

Signature: View Image

it could be the people that you are searching for?
Regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jjasay

Post by jjasay »

suanj,

I am sorry that I did not respond to your post. My life became very crazy about that time. Thank you very much for the information you supplied. I am surprised that you were able to link these individuals together as siblings so quickly.

Here are some more details that I have found in the last three years.

Antonino Favazza -- His USA naturalization paperwork included a photo that matched another one that my cousin had of "Uncle Tony". As far as I know, Tony and Rose had no children.

Lucia Favazza -- Her USA naturalization paperwork included a photo that resembles other members of my family. As far as I know, Lucy never married or had children.

Giuseppa Favazza Clementi -- This one is the most intriguing sibling. She later followed her husband Francesco to Tampa, Florida, but left two children (Mike and Louis, coincidentally) in Sicily. They later moved to California with those two sons and other children that were born in the USA. This is quite possibly the mystery sister in California. So far, I have not been able to trace any descendants to living cousins today.

Luigi Favazza -- I do think that this Luigi Favazza is probably my grandfather, Louis Jasay. Still, all I can find of either name before 1911 is Luigi Favazza's ship manifests, of which there are several. Evidently, he wound up in St. Louis for a few years according to a later manifest when he reentered the USA after having been back to Sicily. It looks like he was then headed to Monroe, Louisiana, via the port of New Orleans, just a couple of years before marrying my grandmother in Newport, Arkansas. I am also curious about the wife that Luigi Favazza left behind in Alessandria della Rocca, but am not sure of her name.

Thanks again for the fuel!

Sincerely,
Johnathan Jasay
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi the Luigi Favazza trip in 1909:

New Orleans, Passenger Lists, 1820-1945
about Luigi Favazza
Name: Luigi Favazza
Arrival Date: 11 Oct 1909
Ethnic Background: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy
Ship Name: Liguria
Port of Arrival: New Orleans, Louisiana
Friend's Name: Girolamo Lipari
Last Residence: United States of America
Birthplace: Gergent,Alissandria
National Archives' Series Number: T905_27

wife Rosa DI GERLANDO in Alessandria della Rocca; already in USA from 1902 to 1908 in St Louis ( so he married between 1908-1909); joining at cousin Girolamo LIPARI in Monroe, LA.

1920 United States Federal Census
about Louis Josay
Name: Louis Josay
[Louis Jasay]
[Louis Jocoy]
[34]
Birth Year: abt 1882
[abt 1886]
Birthplace: New York
Home in 1920: De Bastrop, Ashley, Arkansas
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Minnie ?Osay
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Germany
Home Owned: Rent
Able to Read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Louis Josay 38
[34]
Minnie ?Osay 30
Louis Josay 7
Ralph Josay 5
Vince Josay 4
[4 4/12]
Lena Josay 1
[1 6/12]

1930 United States Federal Census
about Louis Jasay
Name: Louis Jasay
[Louis Jasey]
Birth Year: abt 1880
Birthplace: New York
Home in 1930: Parkdale, Ashley, Arkansas
View Map
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Minnie Jasay
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy

Education:

Military Service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View image
Louis Jasay 50
Minnie Jasay 40
Louis Jasay 16
Willie Jasay 15
Vince Jasay 13
Lena Jasay 11
Velma Jasay 10
Marion Jasay 5

U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942
about Louis Jasay
Name: Louis Jasay
Birth Date: 17 Apr 1879
Birth Place: New York, New York
Residence: Drew, Arkansas

I checked in Bisacquino baptism and I no found Luigi Favazza...( 1878-1880)

maybe the birthplace abt the Luigi Favazza sibling is wrong and all was born in Alessandria della Rocca...
abt Antonio/Antonino Favazza; the wife, Rosa was born in Alessandria della Rocca on 6 jul 1904 and she immigrated in USA on 20 aug 1912 at New York port;
they married in New York on 20 aug 1922..
infos by:

Selected U.S. Naturalization Records - Original Documents, 1790-1974
about Antonino Favazza
Name: Antonino Favazza
State: New York
Court Type: District Court
Court Location: Southern District, New York
Naturalization Record Type: Petition for Naturalization
Naturalization Record Number: 321258

U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942
about Anthony Favazza
Name: Anthony Favazza
Birth Date: 8 Jan 1894
Birth Place: Alessandria Della Rocca, Italy
Residence: New York, New York

the better way is to search in Alessandria della Rocca civil records by LDS:
Registri dello stato civile di Alessandria della Rocca (Agrigento), 1820-1929 Alessandria della Rocca (Agrigento). Ufficio dello stato civile

Births, marriages, banns, marriage documents, deaths, and miscellaneous documents from the civil registration office in Alessandria della Rocca, Agrigento, Italy.

https://familysearch.org/eng/library/fh ... +Alessandr &columns=*,0,0
regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jjasay

Post by jjasay »

suanj,

Why do you say that Luigi Favazza and Rosa di Gerlando (Thanks for the name transcription!) married between 1908 and 1909? The 1902 manifest has an M in the "Married or Single" column.

As for the LDS records, I also struck out with the Bisacquino church records, but thought that maybe my difficulty with the handwritten Italian documents may have been hindering me. I have been thinking about the Alessandria della Rocca civil records. They have not been digitized yet, so I guess I will order the microfilm into the library.

Thanks again for everything,
Johnathan
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Johnathan,
yes in the first trip he was married!
so married before of first trip, you are right!
only by LDS microfilms you can find more... maybe Luigi had also the children from Rosa Di Gerlando... normally the index in the births, marriages or deaths registries are in the first pages or last pages; and in the bottom the act number so it is more easy to search the document...
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
JudyG841

Post by JudyG841 »

In answer to Jonathon(Jasay)
The name Luigi Favazza(Jasay) Born 1881 in Alessandria Della Rocca He died in 1952
He had 4 sisters Maria Guiseppa Favazza Born 1878 Died 6/1921
Josephine Favazza Born 1884 Died 1939 Those 3 were born in Alessandria Della Rocca
He had a sister Rosa Favazza Born 6/6/1888 in San Biaggio Platani,Sicily She died 2/20/68
He had Antonio(Anthony or Nino)Favazza born 1/20/1893 Died 5/8/1978
Lucia(Lucy) Born 1897-Died?
Vincenzo(Vincent) Born 5/5/1895 Died 1/8/1978 Anthony, Lucy and Vincent were born in
Bisaquino, Sicily.
Their parents names were Father: Gaetano Favazza Mother Antonina maiden name Corteosi
These people are my husbands relatives. Rosa Favazza was his grandmother
I don't know if it helped you or not but saw your post and thought I would add what little I know.
jjasay

Post by jjasay »

JudyG841,

Amazing! Thank you so much. This is exactly what I was hoping for when I posted the original thread almost five years ago. Thanks to other responders leading me toward some immigration and naturalization records, I have found a few extra details in the last several years; however, this is the real link that I was dreaming about.

You legitimized my uncle's Vincent/Vincenzo connection. You provided information on two sisters that I did not know about. You provided information on my great grandparents.

Plus, you got your information from your husband, an actual relative, which has been extremely difficult to locate. The only real connection that my grandfather's family (my uncles, aunts, and cousins) knew much about was Uncle Tony, and his wife Rose. As far as I know, they had no children.

Of these seven siblings, do you know which ones stayed in Sicily and which ones came to the United States? I know at least four of them immigrated here.

Thanks again,
Johnathan
alerocca

Post by alerocca »

Ciao,
penso di essere uno dei suoi parenti.
Mi chiamo Salvatore Favazza, ho 44 anni.
mio bisnonno si chiamava Luigi Favazza sposato con Rosa Di Gerlando ad Alessandria della Rocca.
hanno avuto un figlio di nome Gaetano Favazza nato il 25 dicembre 1908.
Poi Luigi è andato negli USA.
Gaetano Favazza si è sposato con Felicia Marchetta ed hanno avuto 2 figli: Giovanni Luigi Favazza (10.08.1938) e Rosa Favazza.
Giovanni Luigi Favazza si è sposato con Franca Costa ed ha avuto 2 figli: Salvatore Favazza (21.11.1970) e Massimo Gaetano Favazza (30.09.1967).
nella mia famiglia abbiamo cercato tante volte notizie.
Mio padre vorrebbe qualche notizia in più.
In attesa di una vostra risposta,
vi salutiamo con un abbraccio.
Salvatore Favazza

Hello,
I think I'm one of his relatives.
My name is Salvatore Favazza, I'm 44 years old.
My great-grandfather's name was Luigi Favazza married Rosa Di Gerlando Alessandria della Rocca.
they had a son named Gaetano Favazza born December 25, 1908.
Then Luigi went to the USA.
Gaetano Favazza he married Felicia Marchetta and had two children: Giovanni Luigi Favazza (10/08/1938) and Rosa Favazza.
Giovanni Luigi Favazza he married Franca Costa and had two sons: Salvatore Favazza (21/11/1970) and Massimo Gaetano Favazza (30/09/1967).
in my family we tried many times news.
My father would like some more news.
Waiting for your reply,
we greet you with a hug.
Salvatore Favazza
jjasay

Post by jjasay »

Ciao, Salvatore! I am very happy to hear from you. Thank you so much for writing in this forum. I am confident that your father is my first cousin. Tell him that he has 14 more first cousins living in the United States right now, and there are even more including our children and grandchildren.

Since my original comments in 2008, I have gathered more information about Luigi and his siblings. Finally, after 20 years of searching, I found his birth record online this March in the civil records of Alessandria della Rocca. However, your response is even better than that!

I look forward to answering all of your father's questions that I can. Of course, I have questions of my own for him. What a great day! Blessings to you. Blessings to your family.

Your cousin,
Johnathan Jasay

Tradotto da Google. Si prega di perdonare eventuali errori di traduzione.

Ciao, Salvatore! Sono molto felice di sentire da voi. Grazie mille per la scrittura in questo forum. Sono fiducioso che tuo padre è il mio primo cugino. Digli che ha 14 più primi cugini che vivono negli Stati Uniti in questo momento, e ci sono ancora più compresi i nostri figli e nipoti.

Dal momento che i miei commenti originali del 2008, ho raccolto ulteriori informazioni su Luigi ei suoi fratelli. Finalmente, dopo 20 anni di ricerche, ho trovato il suo record in linea nascita questo mese di marzo nei registri civili di Alessandria della Rocca. Tuttavia, la risposta è ancora meglio di così!

Non vedo l'ora di rispondere a tutte le domande di tuo padre che posso. Certo, ho domande del mio per lui. Che un grande giorno! Benedizioni a voi. Benedizioni alla tua famiglia.

Tuo cugino,
Johnathan Jasay