"Marin" in Treviso, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lukika77

"Marin" in Treviso, Italy

Post by lukika77 »

Anyone have any information on the Marin family? Such as if they originated from Spain or France?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Marin is a Venetian surname. Peter
lukika77

Post by lukika77 »

Thanks Peter. But it's origin isn't Italian from what I understand. My family lives half hour from Venice. But, I figured the Venetian part that much. I'd like to find out about its descendants though. I think they are direct from the Spaniards who came to Venice in the 1500's?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

if you go to www.google.com you will find an interesting array of information concerning the Marin surname which you will use int eht itle. Spain appears to be the ultimate source. have fun. Peter
lukika77

Post by lukika77 »

Hey Peter,

Thanks, Cheers. I will do that.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

HI: Peter very just!! The Marin surname is very ancient. This surname has various origins second the historians:

1- To Venice probably comes from inhabitants ofRio(river) Marin to San Simeone Profeta(quarter of Venice). "The Gallicciolli historian says that until from 1080 this river is found therefore called. And an:«Stefania daughter of Pietro of Rio Marin» it is cited in a document of July 1100 in the archives of San Zaccaria. It adds the Gallicciolli that the same rivo drew the name the being be made to dig by hand from Marin Dandolo it. Also the Corner historian(«Eccl. Ven. Dec. X»), speaking about the institution of church of San Giovanni Evangelista, operated from Badoer family, it says that (in latin)«Baduariae familiae eo temporis subjacebat quidquid terrarum atque domorum a S. Stephani paroecia extendebatur ad eum usque rivum quem Marinum nuncupatum fuisse fertur ex Marino Dandulo, qui, ut hasce domus ab aliis in confinio S. Jacobi de Luprio sitis sejungeret, rivum ipsum effodi jusserat». The Venice's people were great people of navigators and exported culture and names ..

2-Marin surname coming from Marino first name:"Marin it is a last name diffused enough in Veneto and Friuli Venezia Giulia, but very present also in Trentino Alto Adige, where it is probable that it has been formed in independent way in various localities: with good frequency is found in towns: Casiacco di Vito d' Asio, Spilimbergo, Udine, Grado (presence surname from: 1592 are an Giacobbe Marin), Pordenone and, in minor measure, various other centers.

3-Marin surname: coming from latin cognomen(surname) Marinus or from the successive name Marino of Italian Middle Ages...

Regards, suanj
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

More: These are surnames Italian implanted in France between 16° and 17° century-italian imigration in France :(french language)

"Ses recherches portent sur l'histoire politique et culturelle des XVIè et XVIIè siècles ainsi que sur les relations entre l'Etat et les étrangers à l'époque moderne (XVIè-XVIIIè siècle) (l'éditeur).
A noter quelques noms de familles francisés: (italian surnames in language)

Italian surnames become French surnames
Belgiojoso en Beaujoyeux,
Benedicti en Benedetti,
Berthier en Bertier,
Bioule en Bieules,
Buonvisi en Bonvisi,
Capponi en Chapponay,
Ducci en Desducs,
Falconi en Faucon,
Fanucci en Fanuche,
Fregoso en Fregose,
Galeassi en Galeasse,
Guicciardini en Guichardin,
Pellotti en Pellot,
Ricci en Rize,
Rugieri en Rogieri,
Sertini en Sertin,
Turicella en Touriselle.

Patronymes: (surnames); Gonzague (de); Marcioli; Médicis (de) Marie; Marigny; Marillac; Martaignani; Marin; Marini; Martelli; Martinozzi; Mascranni; Massei; Massolai; Massoni; Massura; Puis (du); Maupas; Tour (du); Mazarin; Megliorino; Melani; Menagliotti; Mentio; Mercogliano; Mesmes; Mesnard; Métezeau; Micheli; Michaeli; Michiel; Milano; Mondin; Montalte; Montano; Monti (de); Montouri; Napollon; Nardi; Nasi; Negroli; Nemours; Nesles (de); Nicolaï; Nieri; Nivelon; Nivolon; Nobili (de); Noblis; Nonce; Nouircisio; Ondedei; Orlandini; Ornano (d'); Orsini; Oulchy; Pacaroni; Paffi; Pagan; Palluau; Pamphili; Panechini; Paparin; Paradis; Parona; Particelli; Pecorini; Pedrocque; Pellot; Pellotti; Perrot; Pesciolini; Pestalozzi; Pianello; Piazoni; Pic de la Mirandole; Picaluga; Pierrevive; Pinelli; Pisani; Pisseleu; Pitorsi; Pitti; Pluvinel; Poge; Poitevin; Poliny; Pollalion; Pomponazzi; Ponsainpierre; Porcher; Potier; Pottier; Poverto; Primatice; Procope; Provena; Pucci; Pulveret; Quarathesi; Ramel; Ramelli

Mots-clés 16è siècle; 17è siècle "

from:"DUBOST, Jean-François ROCHE, Daniel, (Préf.) - La France italienne XVIè-XVIIè siècle
[Paris] : Aubier, 1997 , 524 p., 13,5x22cm, cartes, listes , ISBN 2-7007-2276-0 , FRE "
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

More more:
genealogy of Marin's family in Venice's province around 1425 year:
http://search4.geneanet.org/result.php3 ... e=&x=0&y=0

genealogy Marin's family in Treviso province (1958):
http://search4.geneanet.org/result.php3 ... =&x=17&y=3
regards, suanj
Sharpie

Post by Sharpie »

This is what I find from Spain. I got 62 hits on that name from Spain. Mostly from Spain.

Example:

Year: 1539
Place: New Spain
Family Members: Son Hernando; Daughter Ines
Source Publication Code: 8872
Primary Immigrant: Marin, Catalina
Source Bibliography: SPAIN, ARCHIVO GENERAL DE INDIAS, SEVILLA. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII. Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata. Vol. 3, 1539-1559. Sevilla [Spain]: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1946. 345p.
Page: 20

Most of the Marin from Spain in that Century really says the same thing.

Here is another hit I got.

Year: 1559
Place: Spanish Main
Family Members: Daughter Ana; Daughter Maria
Source Publication Code: 8872
Primary Immigrant: Marin, Diego
Source Bibliography: SPAIN, ARCHIVO GENERAL DE INDIAS, SEVILLA. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII. Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata. Vol. 3, 1539-1559. Sevilla [Spain]: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1946. 345p.
Page: 301

I hope this helps you some.
If you need more information let me know.

Sandra Lamolli
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Obviusly the surname Marin is from both Spain and France...how cosmopolitan can you get? Peter
Filmways
Rookie
Rookie

Re: "Marin" in Treviso, Italy

Post by Filmways »

I hope you still follow your post.
I am surprised with the replies you received.

Marin is of course a Venetian name and has nothing to do with the name Marinos of course. Marin from Mariner (navy person). In Venice names are shortened deliberately (Corner for Cornaro for example). The family date back to before the 11th Century. The earliest Person I know is Eleazar Marin who was active as n Venetian Notar in 1146. The Marin family migrated to Crete after 1225. Today, the name Marin in Greece is known as "Thalassinos".
After the fall of Crete in 1669, many Venetians left Crete some returned to Venice others resettled in Corfu, other used a different route and migrated to Chios and Asia Minor. Obviously, some choose Malta, Spain and France.
You will find everything there is to know in the Venice Archives.

PS: The Marin family produced a large number of Notary
Michael31
Master
Master

Post by Michael31 »

Thalassinos

Post by Thalassinos »

Umm hello I am greek and my surname is Thalassinos does this mean that my ancestors are the Marin family?