Macri Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
vomac

Macri Family

Post by vomac »

Hello,

I am new to this forum but would very much like to find out more about my family history and origins. If anyone has any information regarding the MACRI family history and ancestry...please contact me and maybe we can swap some information. My side of the Macri family immigrated to Brazil in 1895 (at least that is what I am told).

Thank you for your time and I look forward to connecting to other Macri's and non-Macri's alike :D
Veronesi-Guardini
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Macri Family

Post by Veronesi-Guardini »

Hi vomac

Having a look on the internet, it seems that the name Marci has a strong connection with Greece!

http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/surnames.macri/34/mb.ashx

There are also records of a Macri family that immigrated to England in the mid 1800's from the Greek Island of Cephalonia. There are a few Macri's dotted around the country, possible all having one common ancestor

Hope this may be of some interest to you - Do you have any particular names that you are interested in?
vomac

Post by vomac »

Thank you for the link I will look into...I find it very interesting because we are dependents of Calabrian immigrants. Definitely news to me...thank you so much.
vomac

Post by vomac »

My great-grandfather's name was Paschoal (I think this is the correct spelling of his first name...unfortunately I don't remember) Macri. Any help is greatly appreciated.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There are 21 MACRI surnamed immigrants that arrived in Rio De Janeiro for Sao Paulo from 1886 to 1956. I am sure there are many more thruout South America and other parts of the world. Are you interested in any one particular country? =Peter=
~Peter~
vomac

Post by vomac »

Mainly Brazil...that way I can connect the dots back in Italy and find the connection between the North American Macri's and the South American Macri's. Thank you for the info...by the way, where did you find it?...if you don't mind me asking. Thanks again.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

~Peter~
FJMacri

Post by FJMacri »

I have considerable information on the Macri family which originated in the Reggio Calabria region of Italy (Rizziconi, Polistena, Taurianova, etc.) and settled in the Detroit, Michigan, USA area. Reply here if you're interested in exchanging details.
Frank Macri
lydiafaziotheys

Post by lydiafaziotheys »

Hi,
My great grandmother was a Macri from Macchia Albanese. I have the year she came to the US in my records and will have to try to open that file again. Her name was Rose and she came to NY with her parents and younger brother.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

The Macri surname is VERY common in the the Reggio Calabria region. I have found the surname in almost every town of records I have put online on the Calabria Exchange.

As for Pasquale Macri (this should be the correct spelling of his name) - what more can you tell us about him or his family? Do you know the town in which he was born?

Peter that link is not working ...Not sure but it could be the website it self (or is it my computer?) Please let me know if you are also having trouble with it this evening.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
apiapibij

Post by apiapibij »

As Nuccia said, it is a very common surname in de RC aerea, especcially at the Ionian side. The correct spelling is Macrì or Macri'(so with an accent on or after the i, which means that in the pronunciation the accent is on the last syllable.). It is originally a Greek name from "makris" which means "tall". The surname also exists in Greece.
Peter's link works, though it reroutes to a Fedor(Linux) testpage, which surely was not Peter's aim.
claudinew

Post by claudinew »

I have information on Macri's that emigrated to Philadelphia if anyone is interested. My great grandfather was Guiseppe Macri who was born in Calabria on June 28, 1886. He died in Philadelphia on Nov 3, 1941. He was married to Maria Rosa Calla (b.1897 d.1998) and they had three daughters, Elisabetta, Angela and living daughter.

I believe they were from Mammola, Reggio, Calabria. My living great aunt does not remember the name of Guiseppe's parents. I know that Guiseppe and macri are very common names in that aprt of Itlay, but by chance would anyone know who his parents were or how to obtain records?

Is there a list of churches on the web for Mammola? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Claudine
nicospatari

Post by nicospatari »

macri è un cognome presente anche a mammola reggio calabria Italy
jerry@jrmcdonald.com

Post by jerry@jrmcdonald.com »

I can only identify a link from our Macri family to the person who has info about Detroit. Family stories tell of cousins from Detroit that visited with our family in PA.

I'm totally green behind the ears as it relates to this forum, but perhaps someone will help either direct me elsewhere, or help me with my Macri Family.

Carmelo Macri born in Polistena RC April 1888, came here and settled near Portsmouth, OH. He next appears in Rochester PA where he enlists in the Army as a cook, is sent to France where he met and married Jeanne Germaine Pericaud in 1919. He next gets a discharge from the service, is granted his US citizenship, and moves his new family back to the US. He settles in Beaver Falls PA and is buried there. Anyone who might have information regarding this family can post here and I'll be happy to share information.
vomac

Post by vomac »

Thank you all so much for the reply's. I apologize for my inconsistency of logging on to check out the forum. I am in the process of writing a thesis paper that consumes a great deal of my time.

As far as I know Pasquale immigrated to Brazil around the turn of the last century and settled somewhere in the interior parts of the state of Rio de Janeiro. He was either a coffee farmer or rice farmer. I was told he was assassinated because he refused to sell his land to a rich farmer/ political figure in the region.

That is about as much as I know at this point. Also, thank you Peter for the link I will certainly check it out.

Peace