Monterosso and Puccini Families of Sinopoli Reggio Calabria

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jo123
Rookie
Rookie

Monterosso and Puccini Families of Sinopoli Reggio Calabria

Post by jo123 »

Hi there,

I am looking for some information on my great father. His name was Cosmo Monterosso. He was born in Sinopoli or Santa Eufemia Reggio Calabria around 1883. Around the 1920's he was travelling back and forth to Pittsburgh PA USA working in the mines with his brother in laws (wifes brothers) surname Condina, who I believe were living in America at the time. In 1926 he apparently died of Influenza. What haven't been able to find is information on his burial site and whether he had any brothers or sisters.

My grandfather (Cosmo's son) Saverio Monterosso then migrated to Adelaide Australia on the Cyrenia, 7 December 1949 , bringing the rest of his family, which included his sister Filomena Puccini's family, over the next 7 years.

On the Puccini side, my great grandfather Guiseppe Adolfo Puccini (Filomena's husband) was adopted so we don't know if this was his actual surname or if was given to him at the orphanage making it impossible to find any information.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

jo123
pink67
Master
Master

Re: Monterosso and Puccini Families of Sinopoli Reggio Calab

Post by pink67 »

Hi Jo and welcome :D

From the site Ancestry.com this is a 1921 arrival manfest for Cosmo:

Philadelphia Passenger Lists, 1800-1945
about Cosmo Monterosso
Name: Cosmo Monterosso
Arrival Date: 25 Feb 1921
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1880
Ethnic Background: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy
Ship Name: Orizaba
Port of Arrival: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Friend's Name: Carmelo Russitano
Last Residence: Reggio
Birthplace: Sinopoli, Reggio
Microfilm Roll Number: T840_139

he was leaving in Italy (Sant'Eufemia) his wife Grazia Condina, and joining his cousin Russitano Carmelo in NYC, 250 Mott Street, he stated in was in the U.S from 1910 to 1914 in Pennsylvania. He was born in Sinopoli

page 1:
[img=http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/9568 ... ge1.th.jpg]
page 2:
[img=http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/3237/m ... ge2.th.jpg]

Are you sure he died in Pennsylvania?
Laura
jo123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jo123 »

Hi Laura,

Thankyou so much for that information. His wife would be Grazia because my Grandfathers daughters name is Grazia.

Do you have any idea what the stamp dated Aug 14 1924 above his name means?

I believe he died in Pittsburgh but it may be wrong. Will have to call my uncle over the weekend and get some more info.

Thanks again. Will post again soon.
jo123
jo123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jo123 »

Hi all,
I have found some more information on my great grandfather Cosmo Monterosso. From the information I have found, he travelled to America 3 times.
The first was in 1909 aged 29. He was travelling with his brother in law Rocco Condina and possibly nephew Paolo Condina. They were joining his brother in law (wifes brother) Giuseppe, and nephew Carmello Fedele in Syracuse NY. He was still in America, but in Pittsburgh in 1911 when his Giuseppe returned.

His second stay was in 1921 aged 41. He seemed to be travelling possibly with another cousin Carmelo Troppe (possibly Tripodi - wifes name Raffaela Panuccio). This time they were staying with another cousin Carmelo (or Carmino) Rositano (wifes name Grazia Tripodi) in New York City. Mott St which I believe is in Little Italy.
I think he returned to Italy in 1924 for his daughters wedding.

He then returned to America in 1925, again joining his nephew Carmello Fedele, but this time in Pittsburgh. He seemed to be travelling with Domenico Marafioti. The address on Webster ave pittsburgh is the same address he was at in 1911.
This is what i've come up with reading the ship manifests.
After 1925 the story is a mystery. From speaking to my father, uncle and grandmother, they know his last place of residence was in Pittsburgh, but have no idea how or where he died. Also, still unsure on whether he had brothers or sisters.

If anyone has any linking of these surnames in there families, could be linked to our family.

Sorry for long story :)
jo123
Tracing my family from Sinopoli. Surnames: Monterosso, Puccini, Carbone, Tripodi, Caruso, Rugnetta, Fimmano, Luppino.
jo123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jo123 »

Hi all,
There may also be a link with the surname Romeo. There was a Grazia Monterosso aged 30yrs who travelled to New York June 09 1909 with her husband Vincenzo Romeo 37 yrs and son Cosimo 1yr. The address they were travelling to was Pittsburgh address Cosmo was at around 1911.
This could possibly be Cosmo's sister.
Also I found out that my great grandfathers brother in law Giuseppe Condina changed his name to Jack Rossi (or Grossi or something similar) because he was in trouble with the law.
I hope this information is relevant to someone else.

jo123
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Jo,

if you great-grandfather died on 1926 we can't find him in the censuses....
I believe your only option is to ask for his death certificate:

http://www.dsf.health.state.pa.us/healt ... 8&Q=202275

I searched something about his nephew Carmelo Fedele....

There is a Carmelo Fedele living in McKees Rocks - Allegheny County PA at the time of the 1930 census:

1930 United States Federal Census
about Carmelo Fedele
Name: Carmelo Fedele
Home in 1930: McKees Rocks, Allegheny, Pennsylvania
View Map
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1893
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Mary
Race: White

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Carmelo Fedele 37 head, born in IT, year of immigr. 1907
Mary Fedele 27 wife, born in IT, year of immigr. 1921
Virginia Fedele 7 daughter, born in PA
Nancy Fedele 6 daughter, born in PA

image:
[img=http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/4770/f ... 930.th.jpg]

if this man is Cosmo's nephew this is his naturalization petition:

Selected U.S. Naturalization Records - Original Documents, 1790-1974 (World Archives Project)
about Carmelo Fedele
Name: Carmelo Fedele
State: Pennsylvania
Court Type: District Court
Court Location: Western District, Pennsylvania
Naturalization Record Type: Petition for Naturalization
Naturalization Record Number: 51583
Roll Description: (Roll 332) Petitions 51421-51640
Archive: National Archives, Washington, D.C.
Collection Title: Naturalization Petitions of the U.S. District Court, 1820-1930, and Circuit Court, 1820-1911, for the Western District of Pennsylvania
Archive Series: M1537
Archive Roll: 332

image:
[img=http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/6972 ... pet.th.jpg]

maybe Carmelo's descendants could know something about Cosmo?

Laura
jo123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jo123 »

Hi Laura,
Thanks for your research.
In reading so many of these ship manifests, it seems the address 801 Webster Ave Piitsburgh comes up alot. Do you think immigrants would have called people cousin or uncle etc and because it was easier to get into the country. It seems alot of immigrants coming from Sinopoli were naming this address and the name Antonio Caruso seems to come up alot. Also, would Cosmo have been required to fill out a census if he was travelling between Italy and America but with no intention of staying there.
Sorry about all the questions.

Josie
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Josie,

the federal censuses were tacken every ten years... we can check on-line for example the 1900/1910/1920 and 1930... the 1940 census will be on.line only in 2012.
So, if Cosmo returned in the U.S. on 1925 and died on 1926 there will be no census for him....
If he was living in U.S on 1920 he must have been listed in the 1920 federal census... but on is last arrival on 1925 he stated he was in the U.S before, form 1921 to 1924, so I believe there is no 1920 census for him...

It was very common for the immigrants to have in the U.S. persons and places to reach at their first arrivals... usually places were the same for people from the same towns and villages... very often this addresses were just the first "base" then, they were directed in other places....

Laura

Laura
jo123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jo123 »

Hi all,
I've found another possible link. My uncle told me that my grandfather used to talk of a "cousin" with the last name Creazzo from Pittsburgh, so I looked up the name and there is a Giuseppe Creazzo (wifes name Rosaria) that went to Webster St Pittsburgh in 1909 (then also in 1921), only one month before Cosmo would have arrived. And his person of contact was a Domenico Romeo. Possibly a relative of the previously mentioned Vincenzo Romeo and Grazia Monterosso. Still trying to figure out if this was Cosmo's sister.

Josie
Tracing my family from Sinopoli. Surnames: Monterosso, Puccini, Carbone, Tripodi, Caruso, Rugnetta, Fimmano, Luppino.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

joe123 wrote:There was a Grazia Monterosso aged 30yrs who travelled to New York June 09 1909 with her husband Vincenzo Romeo 37 yrs and son Cosimo 1yr. The address they were travelling to was Pittsburgh address Cosmo was at around 1911.
This could possibly be Cosmo's sister.
From her 1909 arrival manifest it seems she was leaving in italy her father Nicola in Sant'Eufemia....

Laura
jo123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jo123 »

Hi Laura,
In looking at the original manifest from ellisisland.org I thought that Nicola might be the father in law as it looks as though its written in line #12 where the husband is listed. Although I would assume that his fathers name would be Cosimo as the sons name is Cosimo, so your probably right meaning its no connection to Cosmo Monterosso.
Josie
jo123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jo123 »

Hi all,
In looking up Carmelo Fedele on Ellis Island, I found that he arrived in America on May 22 1907 with my great grandfather (his uncle) Cosmo Monterosso. I hadn't found this info earlier because on the manifest Cosmo's surname was spelt Manterospo. I can't seem to find this info on ancestry.com though.

Josie
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi Josie,

on ancestry.com Cosmo is under:

Record of Aliens held for special inquiry

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Cosimo Monterossei
Name: Cosimo Monterossei
Arrival Date: 22 May 1907
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1879
Ship Name: Europa
Search Ship Database: Search the Europa in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 9
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_901
Page Number: 117

and under:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Cotimo Mantersipo
Name: Cotimo Mantersipo
Arrival Date: 22 May 1907
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1879
Port of Departure: Napoli
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Ship Name: Europa
Search Ship Database: Search the Europa in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 1
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_901
Birth Location Other: s pros??
Page Number: 65

Laura :D
jo123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jo123 »

Hi Laura,
Thanks for that info. I may not have found census or death records because of incorrect spelling perhaps. I would think should be info in the 1910 census cause he was in America from 1909 so I would assume he was still there in 1910. Still searching...
Josie
jo123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jo123 »

Hi all,

I found some information on a website familysearch.org on the Monterosso surname. There is a couple of listings for a Saverio Monterosso born in Sinopoli which could be my grandfathers grandfather. There doesn't seem to be any information past late 1800's. Has anyone used this website before?
I have written to the person who listed these names, so hopefully will get some info soon.

I have also found an obituary for a Josephine Monterosso b 1921 d 2006. It lists her parents as Joseph Monterosso and Concetta Fedele. Could this possibly be the link with this 'nephew' Carmelo Fedele. I then found a 1930 census.
Name: Josephine Monterosso
Home in 1930: Brooklyn, Kings, New York
View Map
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1921
Relation to Head of House: Daughter
Father's Name: Joseph
Mother's Name: Concetta
Race: White

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace:

View image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Joseph Monterosso 47
Concetta Monterosso 42
Teresa Monterosso 19
Anna Monterosso 16
Grace Monterosso 16
Mary Monterosso 15
Angelina Monterosso 13
Ralph Monterosso 11
Josephine Monterosso 9
Daminano Monterosso 3 7/12
Salvatore Monterosso 1 8/12
Grace Fedele 73
On the actual document it says Joseph migrated 1905 and Concetta and Grace 1908, yet I can't find their ship manifest to see who they were meeting is America or who they were leaving behind in Italy.

Josie