San Fratello, Sicily - Gagliani, Scaglione, Todaro

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
agagliani

San Fratello, Sicily - Gagliani, Scaglione, Todaro

Post by agagliani »

My maternal great-grandmother was Maria Gagliani, b. 1865 at San Fratello, Messina District, Sicily.

I would like to find the names of her parents (Father's name, mother's name and maiden name). It is believed that her Gagliani ancestors came from the Naples region of Italy to San Fratello and I am interested in determining the link. Maria had a number of children to my great-grandfather, Cirino Scaglione, b. 27 September 1854, San Fratello, Sicily. His parents were Antonino Scaglione of San Fratello and Benedetta Todaro of San Agata di Militello. Any information on the parents of Antonino Scaglione and Benedetta Todaro is also welcome.

I believe that I could find the information in marriage records for Messina district, Sicily, but I do not have access to these. Is there an online database of these records available (or has anyone transcribed them and placed them on a family genealogy site)?
vj
Master
Master

Re: San Fratello, Sicily - Gagliani, Scaglione, Todaro

Post by vj »

Hello!
Your family's records are kept in the comune where the events took place (birth, marriage, death)

Your nearest Family History Center has records for San Fratello and Sant'Agata di Militello on microfilm.
The cost is about $6 mo (rent), you’ll need to go to the center to order & view them.

Family History Library Catalog:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... t_fhlc.asp

film notes for San Fratello

Topic Italy, Messina, San Fratello - Civil registration

Titles Registri dello stato civile, 1820-1910 San Fratello (Messina). Ufficio dello stato civile
---

film notes for Sant'Agata di Militello

Topic Italy, Messina, Sant'Agata di Militello - Civil registration

Titles Registri dello stato civile, 1826-1910 Sant'Agata di Militello (Messina). Ufficio dello stato civile
---

In case you aren’t familiar with the Family History Center & Italian records

FamilySearch Home Page
Includes how to find your nearest local Family History Center

A helpful essay written by Trish, one of our forum members:
Steps for Finding Microfilm at the Family History Center
---

Italian Record Research from FamilySearch guides:
Italy Research Outline
---

Also from FamilySearch (PDF format)
Italian Records Extraction - An Instructional Guide
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

If you go to www.stemmario.it and put in Scaglione youcan find the sunrame's heraldic crest which might prove helpful inyour researches. =Peter=
~Peter~
LinJ47
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LinJ47 »

Dear agagliani,

I am so happy :lol: to see that someone else is also looking for ancestors in the little town of SAN FRATELLO!

My maternal grandmother, Anna Salanitro Rizzo, was born there April 8, 1889 to Eloisa Latteri and Alfio Salanitro.

Alfio Salanitro was the son of Anna Gerbino and Filadelfio Salanitro.

I believe Alfio also had a sister named Rosa Salanitro who married Ferdinand Rausa.

Rosa and Ferdinand had a son Alfio Rausa who married Benedetta Baldanza and I understand that their daughter, Maria Teresa Rausa still lives in San Fratello. I had tried to write to her a few years ago but never got a response.

The responses to your inquiry have inspired me to restart my research in San Frat. I wish that some of our surnames connected but you never know what may turn up in the future, San Frat is a tiny town of only about 4,000 people!

Please do keep me updated on your progress!

Ciao,
Linda Barnes
Another San Frat Descendant
agagliani

Post by agagliani »

I found that my great-grandmother was born Maria Teresa Gagliani in Naples in 1865. Her parents were Giovanni (b. 1821) and Teresa (Candida) Gagliani (b. 1835). Grandparents were Giacomo Gagliani (1754-1854) and Maria Rachela (DeSimone Niquesa) Gagliani (1754-1844) and Nicolo Candida and Ippolita (DeAngelis) Candida.

Now I need to find the parents of Antonino Scaglione of San Fratello and his wife, Benedetta Todaro of neighboring village of San Agata di Militello. Don't think the records for either San Fratello or San Agata de Militello extend back past 1820.
LinJ47
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LinJ47 »

Found the info below on ~ http://www.comunedisanfratello.it/pages ... azione.htm

Cirino Todaro
Data di Nascita: 08/11/1972 - luogo: Sant'Agata di Militello (ME)
Data Elezione: 15/06/2008 (nomina: 02/07/2008)
Partito: Lista Civica
Categoria Professione: Impiegati Amministrativi Non Altrove Classificati
Titolo di Studio: Licenza di Scuola Media Superiore o Titoli Equipollenti

Contatti e Informazioni

Municipio - Via Serpi

Centralino 0941/794030 0941/ 794697

PEC (Posta Elettronica Certificata - Comune) <SanFratello@pec.intradata.it>

PEC (Posta Elettronica Certificata Servizi Demografici) <demografica@pec.intradata.it>

C.A.P. 98075 - Cod. Fisc.84000410831
agagliani

Post by agagliani »

Some of the previous information I had was in error. I have done further research and have verified the following. Maria Gagliani was a daughter of Antonio Gagliani and Marianna Vasi of San Fratello. Cirino Scaglione was son of Antonino and Benedetta (Todaro) Scaglione, both of San Fratello. His grandparents were Carmelo Scaglione and Rosa LoCicero, and Salvatore Todaro and Rosalia Favazzo.

Does anybody have information on Antonio Gagliani and his wife Marianna Vasi and their families? I suspect Antonio must be a descendant (grandson?) of Antonino Gagliani and Antonia Lo Iocono who came to San Fratello from Cerami, Enna Province, Sicily in the early nineteenth century. I also suspect that Marianna (Vasi) Gagliani is a grandaughter of Illuminato Vasi and Marianna Catanzaro.

It is known that Maria Gagliani had cousins named Catanzaro in New York, and an aunt named Mondello here as well when she emigrated in the early twentieth century. Some other names that may be connected based upon Autosomal DNA hits with connections to San Fratello include Carbonetto and Mancuso.
agagliani

Re: San Fratello, Sicily - Gagliani, Scaglione

Post by agagliani »

Research Update: Antonio Gagliani was a son of Michele Gagliani/Gagliano and Ann Geraci. Marianna (Vasi) Gagliani was a daughter of Francesco Vasi and Benedetta Nobile. Cirino Scaglione was likely the son of Benedetto Scaglione and Benedetta D'Angelo, and the grandson of Antonino Scaglione and Rosa Ingrassia and Cirino D'Angelo and Rosalia Calandra.
jennyro

San Fratello, Sicily - Sirna/Di Franco/Gargliani

Post by jennyro »

Hello everyone,
I'm new to this site. I'm trying to find out any information I can about my relatives from San Fratello, Sicily who immigrated to the Bronx NY around 1906 and then to Canada in 1932.

My great grandfather's name was Guiseppe Joseph Sirna, married to Maria Di Franco who died in 1932 (had two sons - Anthony and Sam), he was re-married to Theresa Gargliano (not sure if that is spelled correctly) and they had two children: Antoinetta and Henry whom were both born in Canada..

If anyone has any information please please respond : )

Thanking you in advance!!!
agagliani

Re: San Fratello, Sicily - re Sirna/Di Franco/Gagliano

Post by agagliani »

Not sure if this will help, but it's worth a shot.

There is an Antonino Sirna, b. 1791 at San Fratello who married Rosa Cardali. Antonino Sirna died 17 December 1847. They had four known daughters and one known son. There is also a Leonardo Sirna, son of Francesco and Benedetto (Corrao) Sirna, b. 1866 at Longi, married Rosalia Mileti. Had one known daughter, Celestina. DiFranco is a much more common name in San Fratello than Sirna. I have Di Franco ancestors, but from Capaci, not San Fratello.

For what it's worth, my great-grandmother, Maria Gagliani/Gagliano's brother Domenico Gagliani/Gagliano married Teresa Lazzaro and had children in San Fratello. They married 24 April 1887. Don't have much information on them, but who knows, the Teresa Gagliano you mention could be a child or a grandchild.