Info on Burgio surname..

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Antonette

Info on Burgio surname..

Post by Antonette »

Hi all!...I don't know reay where to begin. Everytime i look for my family surname i get the Town of Burgio lol. I do know some facts my grandfathers name was Antonio Burgio..he married Frances (Francesca) Potolomando from Realmonte, Sicily. Her fathers name was Guiseppe..I do not know her mothers name or of any brothers or sisters. They all immigrated through Ellis Island but not in the same year.

Any info anyone can share will be a true gift...Thank you!

Antonette~
pink67
Master
Master

Re: Info on Burgio surname..

Post by pink67 »

Hi Antonette and welcome to the Forum! :D
he married Frances (Francesca) Potolomando from Realmonte, Sicily.
Francesca' correct maiden name was Francesca Tuttolomondo, this is her 1912 arrival manifest:

page 1:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0028
page 2:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0028

Francesca Tuttolomondo, age 20, last residence in Italy and place of birth Realmonte (Agrigento Province, Sicily region) travelling with her son Gaspare Burgio, age 3, joining her husband Antonio Burgio in Albion NY. Please note that she stated she was leaving in Italy her father Gaspare...
The person listed under their names was Tuttolomondo Giuseppa, female, age 23, single, stating possibly Francesca' sister, as she stated she was leaving in Italy her father Gaspare too.. :wink:
her name was lined out, it means Giuseppa didn't travel on that ship...

Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

From the site Ancestry.com possible WW1 Draft registration card for Antonio Burgio:

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Antonio Burgio
Name: Antonio Burgio
County: Orleans
State: New York
Birth Date: 11 Aug 1875
Race: White
FHL Roll Number: 1818705
DraftBoard: 0

address: 10 Washington street, Albion NY

image:
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVbF3Ri

and 1920 census, same address:

1920 United States Federal Census
about Tony Burgo
Name: Tony Burgo
[Tony Burgio]
[Tony Buago??]
Home in 1920: Albion, Orleans, New York
Estimated birth year: abt 1876
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Self (Head)
[Head]
Spouse's name: Francis
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Sex: Male
Home owned: Own
Year of Immigration: 1909
Able to read: No
Able to Write: No
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Tony Burgo 44
Francis Burgo 35
Gasper Burgo 12
Josephine Burgo 6
Jennie Burgo 4
Tony Burgo 3
Joe Burgo 0
[8/12]

image.
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVbFnOr

Don't know if this record might be correct, but maybe it worth a look:

26 April 1914 arrival manifest for Gaspare Tuttolomondo, age 54, widow, from Realmonte, travelling with his daughter Tuttolomondo Calogera, age 17, female, single.. them both stated they were leaving in italy Gaspare's brother in law (Calogera's uncle) Francesco Malia in Realmonte and were joining Gaspare's son Salvatore Tuttolomndo in Buffalo...
So maybe Gaspare's wife's lastname name was Malia?

page 1:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0019

page 2:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0019

Do you believe these persons may have been your ancestors?

Laura :D
Antonette

Post by Antonette »

Oh yes yes yes!!!!...This is my family :)....I know my father always said that was her last name..but for some reason everything i found said potolomando LOL!

I knew my grandmother Francis..but she only spoke Italian so never really knew too much. My Grandfather Antonio had passed before i was born.

I was always told that Francis had another child in Italy that had died of the plague (father confirmed story)..and yes Gaspar..was my uncle for some reason we always called him uncle Cas.

Oh how I wish some relatives were alive and well there! I know here in the cemetery there are quite a few with last name of Burgio..one being Antonette..I wonder if I was related to her and named after her...how exciting!...Thank you much for helping me :)
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

You're welcome!

again, from the site Ancestry.com the 1930 census:

1930 United States Federal Census
about Antonio Burgio
Name: Antonio Burgio
Home in 1930: Albion, Orleans, New York
View Map
Estimated birth year: abt 1878
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Frances

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Antonio Burgio 52
Frances Burgio 45
Josephine Burgio 17
Jennie Burgio 16
Tony Burgio 13
Joseph Burgio 11
Alphonso Burgio 8
Antonio Burgio 1 4/12

image:
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVeNIyr

please note that they were living next door to another Burgio family (Joseph, age 64, possible he was Antonio's brother?)

from the free site:
http://www.fultonhistory.com/

Francis Burgio's obit.... (she died at the age of 102? Wow!)

http://www.fultonhistory.com/Newpapers% ... ehtml&.pdf

and several other articles on your family :D

Laura
Antonette

Post by Antonette »

Wow! Once again ty very much for this information...I am sooo excited seems everyday I am learnin more and more :)
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

http://fultonhistory.com/Newpapers%20Di ... ehtml&.pdf

This site has some interesting articles on your ancestors. Here is the obit notice for Frances T. Burgio.
Enjoy the site.

Jim

edit: sorry Laura, I missed that part of your post. :oops:
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
Antonette

Post by Antonette »

Hello all! Has been a long time. I have been very busy trying to gather information. I have a quick question. How do I find out if my grandparents were ever naturalized? I dont believe they were however I am not sure where to start looking. Thank you all for your help!!
Bigswimguy

Post by Bigswimguy »

Hi Antonette:

I just found this website. My father is Joseph Burgio, son of Francis and Antonio Burgio, who has since died. It sounds like we may be related.

We have been to Realmonte, Sicily trying to find information, etc., etc., in 2000. We did locate 2 cousins on Antonio's (grandfather's) side, and were able to obtain copies of some records from the courthouse. It's so unfortunate that before Gramdma Francis died I did not find or take the time to talk with her about the Family history. That will always be one of my life regrets.

I have talked with Carol, one of the daughters of Josephine, who lives in Texas. Her mother recently celebrated her 100th birthday. I think Tony ( the youngest son of Francis and Antonio) is still alive as well as aunt Jennie.

Other than that little bit of information, it just seems so sad that family contact is nearly non-existant.

Do you know any more?

Dave
Antonette

Post by Antonette »

Hi Dave,

Well I do believe you are right we are related :) Your dad was my uncle Joe. I have been going in circles trying to find information. I am trying to find out if Antonio (Grandpa) ever naturalized. I sent away for some paprerwork but the info they returned was for a different Antonio Burgio.

I agree with you it is a shame no one seems to keep in contact anymore.. it's quite sad. I have some paperwork that I obtained including the original marriage certificate, and grandma Francis' greencard as I know she never naturalized. I have no idea of names of brothers or sisters on either side. Aunt Joanne (Jennie) has since passed away. I found that out by researching old newspaper articles. Tony and his wife Laura last I knew were in Florida. Aunt Jospehine was in an elderly care home here in Albion but has since been moved closer to her family in city of Rochester last I heard.

I would like to keep in contact with you and maybe together we can figure some things out. When I was younger I didn't really take the time either to learn from family, so we both have that regret.

Hope to hear from you soon,
Antonette
Bigswimguy

Post by Bigswimguy »

Hi Antonette:

Great to hear from you.

When I first posted, I saw that the last date on this site was a quite a while ago, so I did not know if anyone would use it again. Hooray!!

Well, first off I have a copy of the original marriage documents of GrandMa Francis and GrandPa Antonio as well as a copy of the page where their marriage (in 1905) was officially recorded in Realmonte, which we visited in November, 2000. Grandma's maiden name was Tuttolomondo, which FYI means 'all the world' (my dad told me that). Her father was Gaspare Tuttolomondo and her mother was Giovanna Mallia (maiden name). You probably already knew much or all of that from your research.

I do not recall reading in your posts who is your father/mother. Please share that.

I am the only living child of Joseph/Margaret Burgio. My two siblings, Lorraine C and Robert J have both died. My mother died in 1978 and my father in 1991.

I live in Lexington, Kentucky.

Again, I am very happy you responded. Hopefully, we can keep up the conversation/contact.

Dave
Antonette

Post by Antonette »

Hi Dave,

So nice to hear a reply! My father was Anthony James Burgio and m mother was Mary Burgio. I am the middle child. I have an older sister named Cheryl Curtis (Burgio), and a younger brother Darrell Burgio.

My father passed away in March of 1993 and my mother passed away in july of 2007. I live in Albion, New York where Grandma and Grandpa lived along with all of their children. We have a cemetery here named St. Josephs Cemetery in which most of our relatives are buried including gaspare( great grandfather) on Francis' side.

I started this whole fiasco in hopes of eventually obtaining dual citizenship. what a journey it has been! I ordered copies of naturalization papers on Antonio( Grandfather) and they sent me some but turns out it's the wrong Antonio. Whomever that Antonio was, he lived on the same street along with many other Burgios. So I still have not found out if he was actually naturalized or not.

I did find a copy of Antonios WW1 draft card online , however there is not much information on it.

Hope to hear from you soon,
Antonette
Bigswimguy

Post by Bigswimguy »

Hi again Antonette:

Well, maybe it really is a small world making contact with you.

I am believing (??) that you are the daughter of the 'elder' Antonio. My dad told me that he had two brothers named Antonio. The 'younger' Antonio was nicknamed Dundo or 'little Tony' and his wife is named Laura (as I recall). My dad was 71 when is died in 1991. What was the age of your dad in 1993?

I have no information on GrandPa Antonio's naturalization. I wish I knew and/or asked my dad when he was alive. Anyway, FYI, speaking about the name Burgio, when we were visiting Realmonte, Sicily, the name Burgio was quite common. I even met a Burgio who looked exactly like my brother - I mean exactly. That was an eerie feeling. So I guess I am not surprised at this being difficult to find out with all the Burgio's.

Do have any information on Uncle Al (Alphonso)? He visited our family a couple of times when I was young, but, contact was lost. He was a barber in Albion.

If you have any other family information I would sure like to hear it.

Best,

Dave
Antonette

Post by Antonette »

Hi Dave,

Yes I am the daughter of the elder Antonio. He was 75 when he passed away. Uncle Al has also passed away, I used to see him everyday :) my father and I would go visit in the barber shop. We did take a trip to Florida to visit your dad when I was much younger. I got news this weekend that Aunt Josephine passed away on May 19...she was 101 years old.

I remember when we were little Grandma Francis used to make us bread and walk it over to us, I grew up just around the corner from where she lived, it's nice to have those memories :) I have not visited Realmonte yet, I am hoping to someday. I would love to see where Grandma and Grandpa lived. I am hoping to soon go to New York City and visit Ellis Island and hoping I can get some information there on our family. I do have bits and pieces of information now is the task of putting all of it together lol.

We are in the middle of remodeling but I will check in with you when I can, that's why there are such long pauses between communication. I am SO glad to have found a close relative! And I will keep in touch.

Antonette
Bigswimguy

Post by Bigswimguy »

Hi Antonette:

Thanks for your response.

So sorry to hear about Josie. 101 years is certainly a long and productive life, particularly if you still have your mind functioning and can perform at lease some of the activities of daily living even if with a little assistance.

The last time we had remodeling done it seemed that patience and tolerance, not to mention money, were the most important issues. And, good luck with the concern that 'one thing seems to lead to another' - i.e., one rooms looks a lot worse when the adjacent room/s are remodeled/painted.

If I am correct the only living uncle is now 'little' Tony (dundo). All the other aunts and uncles have passed?

Also, have you been tracking any cousins? I do know about Josie's three daughters, but other than those, I have not heard.

Take care and good luck with your remodeling.

Dave