Families from Ischia and Venafro

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
thermocaster

Families from Ischia and Venafro

Post by thermocaster »

Does anyone else on the forums have family from Ischia or Venafro?

One side of my grandfather's lineage is the Migliaccio family from Ischia, as well as the Mattera family.

As far as Venafro goes, I've found that my grandmother's lineage is exclusively from that town. The Matteo family and the Celino family, both of whom emigrated in 1911.

If anyone else shares these family names or origins, I'd love to hear from you and talk about it a bit. I'm an American who's yet to make it to Italy, but the more I learn about my family history the more I want to be there. :)
vbuono77

Re: Families from Ischia and Venafro

Post by vbuono77 »

Hi my name is Virginia maiden name Buono. I am tracing my family tree. All of my family are from Ischia my great grandfather came from Ischia to America back and forth and they often traveled with Mattera and Miglacchio family. I think that we are related some how. My other grandparents last name was DiScala. They lived in Brookly the Carroll Gardens area. In fact my parents still live there. My father remembers the Miglacchio family. Please email me at geewiz01@hotmail.com
gregbard

Post by gregbard »

Greetings, I am Greg Bard.

My grandfather was Giovanni Ernesto Satta who was born in Buonopane, Ischia, Campania, Italy. He married Edvegia Nicoletta "Edith" DiMeglio.

The reason I responded to your post is that my grandfather's mother was Carolina Migliaccio. She married Vincenzo Luigi Satta.

My grandmother's mother was Angelina Mattera (b. 1886, Forio, Ischia, Campania, Italy; d. 5 Mar 1963 New York, New York.) She married Vincenzo DiMeglio (b. ca. Jun 1870 in Italy; lived in Buonopane, Ischia, Campania, Italy; died 7 Jan 1946 in New York, New York).

I do not have any other information, however I do know that "Migliaccio" is a type of custard.
boozy.bird
Rookie
Rookie

Post by boozy.bird »

Hi my family came from Venafro names are Saccomando, Pellegrino, Pettrecca,& Franchetti they settled in the Sheffield area of England
wednesday

Post by wednesday »

thermocaster wrote:Does anyone else on the forums have family from Ischia or Venafro?

One side of my grandfather's lineage is the Migliaccio family from Ischia, as well as the Mattera family.

As far as Venafro goes, I've found that my grandmother's lineage is exclusively from that town. The Matteo family and the Celino family, both of whom emigrated in 1911.

If anyone else shares these family names or origins, I'd love to hear from you and talk about it a bit. I'm an American who's yet to make it to Italy, but the more I learn about my family history the more I want to be there. :)
Hi , I do know of the Matteo family from Venafro, I am new to this site can you contact me. and I do have info on them.
staceyfinn

Post by staceyfinn »

My grandparents were both from Ischia. The Matarese side from Forio. The Foglio side from Panza, a tiny village. Does anyone know of these family names? I am particularly interested in the history of Ischia. Why is it my grandmother's siblings and herself had first names that were more French than traditionally Italian. Any clues out there?
amconlon

Post by amconlon »

Hello, my grandfather, Guiseppe Gaetano Castagliuolo, was born in Ischia circa 1906, I believe his family comes from the Florio area. He came to the U.S. through Ellis Island in 1912 and remained in New York. His family's last name was changed to Castellano when they arrived in the U.S. My grandmother, Emilia Theresa Mashio, was born in New York, U.S., but her parents and older siblings were born in Ischia. My grandparents and their siblings are all dead. I would like to get more information about their families.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Possible birth record of Giuseppe Castagliuolo
INDEX#116
1906 Aug 25th in the town of Forio birth of Giuseppe Castagliuolo son of Luigi Castagliuolo age 29 (son of deceased Pasquale) and Maria Mandale age 29 (daughter of Giuseppe) he was presented by midwife Camila Santomauro age 34 (daughter of deceased Salvatore
PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... G:47243601

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite

Post by TerraLavoro »

My paternal GF was born in Forio. Via his line, my ancestors are also from Ischia (comune), and Barano d'Ischia.

Most of the church records from the the Island's various parishes have been indexed and digitized by a group with Ischia roots who for the most part now live in France. For a small annual membership, the records can be accessed with a membership to "La Grande Famille de Procida e Ischia".

http://www.procida-family.com/US/index.htm

FamilySearch.org also has many records, both civil and parish, online. The Forio, Barano, Serrara Fontana and Lacco Ameno record sets are particularly comprehensive. For some reason, the marriage records for Ischia comune are not present. (Indexes to them are online however).

I don't think that there are records for Casmicciola Terme, certainly not online, not sure about the comunal archive.
TerraLavoro
annie1862

Post by annie1862 »

My family on my fathers side come from ischia, my grandmothers maiden name was Miggliaccio and my grandfathers name was Vito Antonio Castagliuolo. He had several brothers and sisters whose names were, Bernardo, Nanina, Regina, Francesco Paulo, I may be missing some but only my grandfather came to this country in 1921 , the others stayed in Ischia.My great grandfather (my grandmothers father) ,Guiseppe Miggliaccio and his wife Chiaria Lopes (my great grandmother) came to the US in 1903,they had 6 children, 4 of whom made it to adulthood. My grandmother, who was born in the US, and grandfather lived in manhattan and brooklyn all of their lives and raised 4 children, they changed their name to Castello in the 1950's. I have seen serveral names matching my familys in the Forio area of Ischia, that is where both these families are from. If anyone knows any info i would love to hear it. Thanks
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Birth record of Giuseppe Migliaccio:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... L:47231801

he was born on Nov 14th, 1877 in 20, via Monterone
Father: Pietro Paolo Francesco, 46 years old, fisherman
Mother: Marianna di Spigna, daughter of deceased Vito Maria, spinner.
Side note says he married Chiara Maria Lopez, daughter of Giuseppe, on Nov 23rd, 1902
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Marriage of Giuseppe and Chiara:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... L:47178101

She was 25, and her mother's name was Brigida Verde (?), already deceased at that time

PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Birth record of Chiara Lopes:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 3:47231101

She was born on Nov 24th, 1876 at 1:10 am in 19, via Gaetano Morgera
Father: Giuseppe, 30 years old, sailor
Mother: Brigida Verde, spinner

Side note is about marriage

PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Birth record of Giuseppe Lopes:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 9:47216001

he was born on Aug 11th, 1845 at 9 in parents' house in the place called "le Pigne"
Father: Michele, 26 years old, sailor
Mother: Teresa Patalano, 23 years old

PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Birth record of Pietro Paolo Migliaccio is missing, there's only an index entry:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 9:47214801

He was born Jun 29th, 1831, the son of Pasquale and Agata Maria Scotti