New Orleans passenger arrival

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: New Orleans passenger arrival

Post by Tessa78 »

You should have received a Certificate of Arrival with the Naturalization papers you were sent from NARA...
T.
lnyhuis

Post by lnyhuis »

No, I didn't get that. Only the naturaliztion application
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

lnyhuis wrote:No, I didn't get that. Only the naturaliztion application
The fact that there are no notations on his passenger manifest is a good indication that no Certificate of Arrival was issued for him. His arrival in the US in January, 1906, puts him a full six months earlier than the requirement for legal entry which took effect that June.

See this post http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/view ... rt=41.html for information on the applicability of Certificates of Arrival.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
lnyhuis

Post by lnyhuis »

Leoluca and Lucia were married in Morgan city, LA in 1905. so it could not be this person who arrived in 1906
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Well, as already noted, Certificates of Arrival were not an absolute requirement for person who arrived in the US prior to June, 1906.

You may be looking for something which simply does not exist.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
lnyhuis

Post by lnyhuis »

don't you think he would be on a passenger list of arrivals in New Orleans? That is what I have not been able to locate. Maybe the records have been destroyed
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I just looked through every passenger manifest coming into New Orleans in October or November, 1899. Not only is he not listed, but there are no ships coming from Italy at all (a couple from Liverpool and Norway; the rest are from South America and Cuba).

When this thread began, I suggested that Leoluca's first port of entry into the US may have been New York and that he immediately or at a later date sailed down the coast, around Florida, and into New Orleans. This trip would not have been manifested because he would be travelling within the US at this point.

Additionally, at the time in question, there was very little cross-checking of immigrant claims as to date and place of arrival. Again, as already noted, the requirement that immigrants enter the country legally and prove the fact did not enter into US law until June, 1906. Leoluca may have mis-remembered or mis-stated the details of his entry into the US.

I believe it is time to broaden your perspective. Over and over, every day, researchers find that "facts" they were certain of fall by the wayside in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
Carmine

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Tessa78 wrote:Possible manifest for Lucia Cutrone, age 8, with family in 1898, from Corleone...sailing from Palermo...

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Lucia Cutrone
Name: Lucia Cutrone
Arrival Date: 28 Oct 1898
Birth Year: abt 1890
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: California

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/1356 ... nifest.jpg

T.
Went back to take a good look at this manifest. Found that they were going to join "Leoluca Cutrone at 304 E. 70th St. in NY"
You indicated that this wasthe correct manifest for your grandmother Lucia and family...

Maybe we should be looking for Leoluca Cutrone, and not Leoluca LaRizza? Just a thought!!!! :D

T.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Tessa78 wrote: Went back to take a good look at this manifest. Found that they were going to join "Leoluca Cutrone at 304 E. 70th St. in NY"
You indicated that this wasthe correct manifest for your grandmother Lucia and family...

Maybe we should be looking for Leoluca Cutrone, and not Leoluca LaRizza? Just a thought!!!! :D

T.
Or, at the least, for a Leoluca who landed in New York and not in New Orleans...
Carmine

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is the US Passport for the Leoluca Cutrone mentioned above...

He lived in New Orleans and New York during the years 1886 through 1904...
His year of birth is 1868. Immigrated in 1886. At the time of the passport application (1904) was living at E 75th St. in NYC.

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/5341 ... utrone.jpg

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Don't know if you have this....the 1910 Census for Luca, Lucy and daughter Lena Rizza in St. Mary, Morgan, Louisiana. He was working on the Cane Plantation. (listed as Lucy Rizzs :-( )

Year of immigration for Luca and Lucy is listed as 1890. Citizenship status is listed as AL.

On the lines above them are what could be Luca's brother/cousin (can't make out the first name) and his wife Angelina. Also arrived in 1890.

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/3317 ... census.jpg

T.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Tessa78 wrote:Here is the US Passport for the Leoluca Cutrone mentioned above...

He lived in New Orleans and New York during the years 1886 through 1904...
His year of birth is 1868. Immigrated in 1886. At the time of the passport application (1904) was living at E 75th St. in NYC.

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/5341 ... utrone.jpg

T.
And there you go...

So, how did we get from Leoluca Cutrone to Leoluca La Rizza (or vice-versa)? I wonder...
Carmine

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Well...since the manifest was a correct one for Lucia...AND...the destination was Leoluca Cutrone...AND since I stumbled upon this Passport looking for the "other" Leoluca...I thought I'd keep things interesting :-D

It's a relative...at least :-)

also, it puts the family in New Orleans at the turn of the century.

Didn't I do good to find the 1910 Census for Leoluca LA RIZZA? ;-)

T.

PS - I'm still searching for the manifest for Leoluca LaRizza...those early ones are so limited in information, though. :-(
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

The two New York addresses are less than 1/3 rd mile apart. Coincidence?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 01384&z=16
Carmine

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I think not :-)

In fact, if Leoluca Cutrone was going back and forth to New York and New Orleans over that period, he may have been meeting relatives in NY and bringing them to New Orleans area.

However, that still leaves the mystery of the LaRizza immigration... If I could read the first name of the other Rizza on the 1910 Census, I could use it to search. Maybe he and Leoluca came together...

T.