Portale della storia degli Italiani

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
msoetinger

Portale della storia degli Italiani

Post by msoetinger »

Has anyone else used this site- very cool. It seems to be for the Cosenza region- I found several members of my family who lived in Roggiano Gravina. The records I found appear to be Military enlistment records. Does anyone know if you signed up at a certain age or where all male babies recorded? I'm still new on this site so there may be more.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Portale della storia degli Italiani

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Great site for searching Cosenza records. Unfortunately it is not as complete as it may seem; many, many, of my Malvito ancestor's records are not there, for example. Nonetheless, I have located a hundred or more records of interest in my research.

The military records you have found are from the Lista (or Registro) di Leva - the draft or consription records of all males born in a comune. See https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Italy_Military_Records for a description.

Regarding the website, there are actually two of them - an older site and the newer version. The data is the same (nearly as I can tell), but each site offers a few research options (somewhat hidden and not very obvious) that the other does not, so I tend to use them both equally. Not sure which site you have been looking at, but the links are:

Old site: http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/index.faces

New site: http://poster.beniculturali.it/MW/ (click on "Banca dati")

The user account info is not shared, so you have to create an account at each of the two sites. I used the same username/password for both for the sake of convenience.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
msoetinger

Post by msoetinger »

I think I am using the beniculturali site- I was wondering why my relative is listed twice- Antonio Siciliano ( Roggiano Gravina)first time no date of birth and not much info on the record and the second time with date, birthdate and parents,etc. Also, it this site for males and Military only or are others types of records on here? I'm going to sign up for the other site too.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Most of my research at these sites has been in reference to Comune di Malvito. For this comune, I find birth, marriage, death, and military conscription records. The completeness of the birth, marriage, and death records drops off dramatically for the 1875-1900 range of years; I don't know if this is Malvito-specific (I suspect it is) or a more general problem affecting the entire Cosenza data set.

If you give me a few of the names you are researching, I can take a look and tell you more about the records you are finding. To give you an example though, look at "de maria demetrio antonio." You see two records, one with and one without a date in the Date of Birth column. If you click the first record, you will see "Document: nato (tipo atto Nascita) Vedi atto" - the part I highlighted means that the record type (tipo) is a birth (Nascita) act (atto). Click "Vedi atto" ("See act") to see additional detail.

Looking at the second record, it is "Document: sposo (tipo atto Matrimonio) Vedi atto" - a matrimony/marriage record. Click Vedi atto to see details: the names, ages, and parents of the couple as well as the date of the marriage (all dates on this site are written dd/mm/yyyy).

One thing I suggest you do is to try switching to the other site, this one: http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/index.faces. The site you are using has one very useful advantage which I will save for a later discussion; in all other respects, I find the old site far more user friendly. Here is an example:

Go to the old site, create an account, and then search for De Maria, Anna Maria. You will get a list of 12 results; click any one of them. Look on the right side of the next screen and click the "Citations" button. You now see a list of all the records which contain the name and hot links to each one of them.

Click the first in the list, "Mother 08/12/1813" (December 8th, not August 12th) and you now see the birth record of Maria Concetta Clementina Caglianone, whose father was Luiggi Caglianone and mother was Anna Maria De Maria.

Click Luiggi Caglianone and then click any of the entries in the results list on the next page and once again, click the "Citations" button.

Click your way through the citations and you will quickly find a second and third child born to Luiggi and Anna Maria (1815 and 1819). Also, sadly, the deaths of two of their infant children who died just two months apart ("Deceased Father"), probably of the same contagious disease.

This Citations tool is one of the most useful aspects of this site compared to the other one.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
msoetinger

Post by msoetinger »

Carmine,
I am now on both sites and been trying the citations button as you suggested. So far, I am going back and forth between the sons, mother and father. I did notice that you can send for a copy of the record. Do they email it to you? I don't see a cost. I think I will be able to find some new info. Just a matter of working with it. I do like the old site with the citations button. Thanks for your help. The families I'm looking for are Siciliano, D'agostino and DeMaria. Funny you should pick that one to show me. Thanks, Michelle
wisemonkey
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wisemonkey »

I am no longer able to access: http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/index.faces. Has the link changed?

I have also been using: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,350180602 and while it is a great resource, it is not searchable.

Thank you in advance for your responses.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Portale della storia degli Italiani is still online they are probally doing some mainteance

The familysearch.org site is searchable by index at the end of the year your searching for
PG LINK TO 1876 BIRTH INDEX
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,350180602

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
wisemonkey
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wisemonkey »

That is wonderful news! Thank you so much.
wisemonkey
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wisemonkey »

Perhaps I have the wrong link. I'm concerned because it has been three days and the link does not go through. I am trying to connect via the following link: http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/index.faces.

Wondering if anyone else is able to connect?
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

This maybe the link you are needing:
http://www.archiviodistatocosenza.benic ... 00/library
The other ones mentioned here don't seem to be working anymore. Just click on "banca data online" (data bank on line) to search. Good luck.
Angela
wisemonkey
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wisemonkey »

Thank you, Angela. That is such a shame-it was a great searchable database resource.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

wisemonkey wrote:Thank you, Angela. That is such a shame-it was a great searchable database resource.
You are welcome. I've just had a look on their message board and on 7/10/14 it says that for technical reasons the Portal of the History of Italian is not reachable so hopefully it might be up and running again soon. Just keep checking from time to time or watch their message board.

Angela
wisemonkey
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wisemonkey »

Great! Thanks again! There's still hope.
wisemonkey
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wisemonkey »

I am happy to report that the website is back up and running!!!
hillbeck

Post by hillbeck »

I am new to this forum but I hope someone can help me. I have found records on the Portale degli Italiani website for Cosenza mainly Altilia and I have sort of figured out how to use the website, but I still don't get it all. However I need to order some records and so I contacted them through email to ask them and sent me a reply in Italian which I had translated and it said to do a bank transfer in Euros on Special accounting in place for the treasury of the state of Catazaro (Bank of Italy) IBAN : IT 73 H0 10000 32 45 45 12 0000 28 0r 00 with the SWIFT code : BITAITRRENT with causal : Payment in favor of the State of Catanzaro photocopying service for third parties. Has anybody tried this? Does it work? How will they know the money paid for is for my account? Also will my bank know how to do this? Any information about this would help me, because I am trying to get information on several lines from Altilia. Thanks in advance. :D