Salvatore Fazio - Augusta Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sugarbug

Re: Salvatore Fazio - Augusta Italy

Post by sugarbug »

Thank you for the well wish's!!!

Here's another question for you when you have a spare moment.

I've been searching on the computer for a website that may have information on cemeteries in Augusta - so far have found nothing - would you know of such a site?

Usually over here (Massachusetts) also in Canada there are a number of resources but I have found none in the Augusta area as of yet.

Sandi
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Sandi,

Thanks for your New Year's wishes; my best to you and your family. I do not know of anyplace on the internet which might have Augusta cemetery information, but I'll continue to look for inormation on the Fazio family and will post whatever I might find.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Sandi,

Based on a public tree on Ancestry, I believe that Angelo Fazio's wife was Anna Accolla who was also born in Augusta. Can you verify this? If so, I have located her ship manifest with her parents' names which I can post. If you check the 1930 census I posted for Angelo, the Domenico and Jennie Accola family living at the same address would be Angelo's wife Annie's parents and siblings.

Biff
sugarbug

Post by sugarbug »

Biff: Yes - Anna(Annie)Accola was Angelo's wife - wasn't that quite a group at that address - bet they had fun!!!

You know years ago everything was about family - to bad times have changed - everyone get's so busy and wrapped up in themselves - sad.

Any info you come across regarding the Fazio Family would be greatly appreciated - thank you.

In your searching have you ever come across any mention of Salvatore's parent's - Benadict & Michelina?

As time permit's I'am searching for Italian websites - I believe I read there could be some family info on a man's military record. Is that difficult to research online? I'am certainly not asking you to look but if you could steer me in the right direction of sites that would be great.

Thanks a bunch again & Happy Happy!!!
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

1912 manifest for Anna Accolla, line 16
Born about 1901 (2 Jun 1901 based on Social Security Death Index)
Last residence and place of birth: Augusta
Nearest relative in Italy:
grandmother Carmela Abramo (based on 1910 manifest below for mother Giovanna this would have been father Domenico's mother)
Via Megra 109 (possibly Via Megara just up the road from Via Marcello)
Augusta
Destination: Boston join to parents Domenico Accolla and Giovanna Strazzeri
Page 1
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/5614/accolla19121.jpg
Page 2
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/1585 ... a19122.jpg

1910 manifest for Giovanna Strazzeri, line 13
travelling with son Carmelo on line 15; daughter Anna on line 14 is lined out which indicates she did not sail.
Born about 1880
Last residence and place of birth: Augusta
Nearest relative in Italy: mother Rosaria
Destination: Boston to join husband Domenico Accolla

Page 1
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1594 ... i19101.jpg
Page 2
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/2161 ... i19102.jpg

Biff
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Domenico Accolla WWI Draft Card
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/4812/daccollawwi.jpg
Birthdate: 26 Apr 1879

Giovanna Strazzeri Naturalization Index Card
http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/6228 ... anacad.jpg
Birthdate: 2 Apr 1880

Sandi,
Based on the information you now have, you can either write the town of Augusta for copies of birth records or order microfilm records from a local Family History Center. Birth, Marrriage and Death records are available for 1820-1929 and census records from 1548-1816.

Biff
sugarbug

Post by sugarbug »

Biff: Thank you so very much for all the wonderful information and all your time I really do appreciate it.

With everything you have provided this gives me such an awesome start. The day I found this forum was my lucky day for sure!!

My son-in-law will enjoy everything but will be special I'am sure is to see the ships list where both his grandfather & great grandfather came over together in 1913.

All the best for 2012 - Lot's of Good Health & Happiness.

Sandi
sugarbug

Post by sugarbug »

Hi Biff: Hope all is well with you. I have a quick question regarding Giovanna.

In the 1910 ship record she is using her maiden name even though she's going to met husband Domenico Accolla. Why would she be going under her maiden name - any thoughts?
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Sandi,

Hope all is well with you also.

It was and is common practice for Italian women to use their maiden names on legal documents.

Biff
sugarbug

Post by sugarbug »

Hi Biff:

Thanks once again for your help. I'am wondering if Giovanna was married before Domenico Accolla. Only reason for this is I see on one of the ships list's that Anna's last name is Strazzeri age 9 but her brother Carmelo age 4 is Accolla.

I want to make sure I have the correct surname for Anna - sure can get confusing at times!!

Have a great day and thank you once again.

Sandi
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Sandi,

I do not believe that Giovanna was married before. Anna was the daughter of Giovanna Strazzeri and Domenico Accolla.

The 1910 ship's list which you referenced shows Anna's name lined out which indicates she did not sail. Because she is listed underneath her mother Giovanna and no surname is given, you might think that her maiden name was Strazzeri but that is her mother's surname. Anna's correct surname is Accolla as shown on the later 1912 manifest.

Biff
sugarbug

Post by sugarbug »

Hi Biff: Thank you again for clearing things up for me, you've been great and patient.

As I had said I just want to make sure I get things correct. Just the beginning of this search so have so much floating around in this old tired head sometime!!

Have a great day & thank you.

Sandi
sachines

Post by sachines »

Salvatore Fazio was my grandfather on my mother's side. Lucietta Maria Fazio (b.1907 m. 1926 d. 1982).
I provide a lot of the information I obtained from my father Santo Chines (b.1902 D. 1995)
I have hit a road block tracing my father's family. His father was Pietro Chines born in Catania or Augusta in 1873. He was an orphan. His father (Chines) first name unknown was born about 1840. He owned a jewelry shop in Catania. He had several legitimate children, Joseph, Sabastiana, Josephine, Salvatore and Dominic.
I would appreciate any information you could provide on the chines family prior to 1902.

Thank you
Salvatore Chines
sachines58@gmail.com