D'Iorio or Iorio (iorio) from Gallucio

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
boscotrecase

Re: Any Iorio originary from Boscotrecase ?

Post by boscotrecase »

tdiorio_Canada wrote:My last name is D'Iorio and we landed in Montreal Quebec. My Great grandfather Savino was from Gallucio. I am thinking he would have come to Canada in the early 1900s. I have very little other information other than the "D" could have been added when he came to Canada. How can I find out more information?
adiorio

Re: D'Iorio or Iorio (iorio) from Gallucio

Post by adiorio »

Hi,

Giuseppe D'Iorio was my grandfather (born 1892, died 1977 in Montreal). He was a younger son of Luciano and Lisa or Elissa Miele. I know that Savino was Giuseppe's brother, as well as Micaele and Giovanni. There was also a sister, Nicolina, who my aunt is named after (Giuseppe's daughter).

I'm told that they went back and forth between Italy and Canada many times between the last decade of the 1800s and the first decade of the 1900s. I know that Giuseppe was wounded in the first World War, fighting in the Italian army.

He married Assunta Torino, and had three children: Francesco (Frank) Nicole and Antonio (my father, 1925-2000).

I recently joined 23andMe (genetic testing/ancestry) and found an interesting connection with the Mancini family via a Luigia D'Iorio, born about the same time as my grandfather. They are also from Galluccio.

Hope this helps.

Andre D'Iorio
adiorio

Re: D'Iorio or Iorio (iorio) from Gallucio

Post by adiorio »

Here's the ship manifest for Giovino:

First Name : Giovino di Luciano
Last Name : Di Iorio
Nationality : Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence : Galluccio
Date of Arrival : April 6th, 1900
Age at Arrival : 24y