Looking for Monti family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
pabloflores

Looking for Monti family

Post by pabloflores »

I am Pablo (pflores.it@gmail.com). I am looking for records of Maria Monti, born aprox. 1870. She was the daughter of Santiago Monti and Gianna (Giovanna or Juana) Ferlone.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Looking for Monti family

Post by liviomoreno »

Monti is a very popular surname in Italy. Do you know from which city is your Maria? The more details you can give the more chance you have to get help.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Pablo, I found this record:

Juana Ferlone in entry for Julio Cattone and Maria Monti, "Argentina, Santa Fe, Catholic Church Records, 1634-1975"
Name: Julio Cattone
Event Type: Marriage
Event Date: 05 Jan 1889
Event Place: Santa Rosa de Lima, Rosario, Santa Fe, Argentina
Birth Year (Estimated): 1868
Father's Name: Juan Cattone
Mother's Name: Maria Balzaretti
Spouse's Name: Maria Monti
Spouse's Age: 19
Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated): 1870
Spouse's Father's Name: Santiago Monti
Spouse's Mother's Name: Juana Ferlone
GS Film number:
Digital Folder Number: 004581634
Image Number: 00098

maybe the name's right italian spelling ...:
Giacomo MONTI
Giovanna FERLONI

regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
pabloflores

Post by pabloflores »

Thanks suanj and liviomoreno. I found a birth certificate of Maria Monti, born in Cavallasca, 1 June 1869. But I can not read very well the Italian manuscript of that certificate. Her story is really a mistery. I know for sure that:
- She was born in 1869.
- She was sent alone to Argentina at the age of 13-14.
- She got married to Massimo Giulio Cattoni in 1889. And in this marriage certificate is said that her parents were Giacomo Monti and Giovanna Ferloni. BUT, I found that Giacomo and Giovanna got married in 1873, which is 4 years later after she was born.
So, I think the key of her story is in her birth certificate, which I have, but is truly difficulty to "decode". I was trying to upload it here so you can take a look at it, but the system did not allowed it (maybe for compatibility issue). My email: pflores.it@gmail.com
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

this Giacomo MONTI that you found, when married at Giovanna FERLONI, well, he was widow of Maria Antonia Edvige DE MARCHI decesead on 12 jan 1869 in Cavallasca...
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
pabloflores

Post by pabloflores »

Thanks Suanj for the response. It was really helpful. The only question pending is that Maria A. Di Marchi died 12 January 1869, but the Birth of Maria Monti was registered on June 1 1869, which means, after almost 5 months. Could it be possible that on those days newborns were registered some time later, specially by a mourning father?
In this link is the birth certificate of Maria Monti ( but is really hard to understand the handwriting):
http://s15.postimg.org/4gte0f8aj/MARIA_ ... 068_06.jpg
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

This Maria Monti was born 1869 Jan 1st to Giacomo Monti and Maria Di Pietro baby Maria was registered on Jan 2nd

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Thanks Marty,
obviously ... were more people with the same name....
without more details it is hard to find the right Giacomo Monti and Giovanna Ferloni...
the Maria Monti born on 1 Jan 1869 really had Maria Emilia Monti full name..
On the Death act of Maria Antonia Edvige De Marchi/Di Marchi ( and on the marriage act just MARCHI) well Maria father was Pietro... it could be possible that on Maria Emilia Monti Birth act born in Cavallasca on 1January 1869 the her mother maiden name was given wrong ....? Because the only Giacomo Monti married at Giovanna Ferloni is the same Giacomo Ferloni married at Maria Antonia Edvige De Marchi/Di Marchi/Marchi
Giacomo Monti born in Lurate Abbate domiciled in Cavallasca; the parents was Pietro Monti and Maria Morazzi
Maria Antonia Edvige De Marchi parents was Pietro De Marchi and Francesca Protti

on Maria Emilia MONTI Birth act 1 JANUARY ( no JUNE thanks Marty!) 1869 it is wrote that Giacomo Monti informant and father of baby girl was the son of later Pietro and he was born in Lurate Abbate...
so I believe that is the same Giacomo....
that Maria Emilia Monti is the YOUR Maria Monti immigrated in Argentina and rightly she given Giovanna Ferloni as mother name because little maria had just some day of life when the biological mother died
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

again me:
Massimo Giulio Cattoni was born in Drezzo on 31 Jul 1867.. well.. in Drezzo.... and in Drezzo:
Giacomo Monti and Giovanna Ferloni, after the marriage in Cavallasca moved in DREZZO from 16 Nov 1873 and finally and formarly declared the his new residence in Drezzo on 31 Mar 1879!
I found the document...
Giacomo Monti had the other children from Giovanna Ferloni:
Ambrogio Giovanni Monti- Drezzo 3 jun 1875
Enrico Basilio Monti- Drezzo 14 jun 1877
Luigi Francesco Monti- Drezzo 6 mar 1879
Giuseppa Bambina Monti-Drezzo 28 nov 1881

I am pretty positive that the his first daughter Maria Emilia Monti was your ancestor... Maria Emilia raised in Drezzo, she knew Massimo Giulio because they lived in same little town (drezzo) and followed it in Argentina, where they married...
Maria on marriage act, she given the mother maiden name: Giovanna Ferloni, just because Giovanna was the her stepmother.... and the only mother that he had..
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
pabloflores

Post by pabloflores »

Thanks Adelfio and Suanj. Suanj, you really helped me to put some pieces together of the life of that nice woman. I grew up listening stories about her. Let me share with you some details of her life as related by my grandma: she was sent to Rosario, Argentina at the age of 13-14 (still trying to find exactly when and how). She departed from Genoa port and when the ship was moving away, she threw a white flower to the sea, with tears in her eyes, and exclaiming the she will come back one day soon.

At that time, in Drezzo (Como Province, Lombardy) his father made an agreement with the Cattoni family (with Giovanni Cattoni), and the groom, named Massimo Giulio Cattoni, was sent in the Perseo ship to Rosario to marry Maria. After several months they married on January 5 of 1889. They had 14 children.

She is remembered by her offspring as a quiet person, catholic, loving mother and grandma, very conservative in her habits. She was called the "nonna chiquita" or little grandma, as far as her feet never touched the ground when she was sitting. Old pics show her wearing a kerchief in her head and dressed in a black dress that covered even the heel.

At the age of 88, she told to her granddaughter that she knows for sure she can not come back at her land in Como and made her promise that at least she could try to find the flower and the family that was left there and she missed so much (she was getting confused after a stroke). She died at Rosario at the age of 88, in 1957. As the time and more generations passed, no one followed her will.

Last May, I was in Rosario and visited her grave that still stand at the La Piedad cemetery. And finally, one month ago, my two little daughters and me - her fifth generation descendent - visited Cavallasca for first time, paying tribute to her life.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

oh Pablo that wonderful and sad story!
a stepmother is no as a right mother...
especially when a stepmother having own children...
so she sent Maria in Argentina and Giacomo arranged the marriage in Drezzo and for Argentina... so cruel... for good luck Massimo Giulio loved Maria...
I remember just now that I found the birth dates of
-Giacomo Monti born in Lurate Abbate on 3 May 1841 son of Pietro Monti and Maria Merazzi/Morazzi

-Maria Antonia Edvige Marchi( De Marchi or Di Marchi) was born in Menaggio on 17 oct 1832 (9 years more old of Giacomo; both was servants) daughter of Pietro Marchi and Francesca Protti- decesead in Cavallasca on 12 jan 1869
-Giovanna Ferloni was born in Lurate Abbate on 7 Jun 1844

on ancestry website are a public genealogic tree owner Chiara Bernasconi abt
Luigi Francesco Monti- Drezzo 6 mar 1879
http://trees.ancestry.it/tree/71703345/ ... 0246329854
I believe that Chiara is a descendent of Luigi Francesco Monti =half brother of your Maria Emilia Monti
maybe helful,
regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH