Reached dead-end finding great great grandfather

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
quadcem

Reached dead-end finding great great grandfather

Post by quadcem »

I would be eternally grateful if anyone here can help me find some information on my great great grandfather. After extensive searching, I still can't find his exact city of birth. I'm also not 100% certain about his birth date. Here's what I have so far:

Name: Carmine De Monico
Birthplace: Italy -- possibly Sicily according to family legends
Residence: Brooklyn, Kings, NY
Came to the US around 1905
Wife: Beatrice (she died between WWI and 1930 -- he is widowed on a 1930 census)
Children: John, Cosmo (born 1911), Grace
Birth date: 12 May 1881 (I know it is around 1880 - 1882)
Death: After 1940 (he shows up on a 1940 census with his son John)

I don't know if the birth date is correct, because it is based off of a WWII registration that I found. The name on the registration is Carmine Demonaco (not De Monico) -- Image. The place of birth says Petragginia, Italy (which doesn't exist as far as I know).

I also found a WWI registration card to Carmine De Monico -- Image. Unfortunately it is poor quality and very hard to read what most of it says. The date of birth appears to be 1882 though (contradicting the WWII registration document).

Does anyone have any ideas to get me in the right direction? My goal is to order his birth certificate from Italy, since I might be able to get Italian citizenship through him (Mother -> Grandmother -> Great Grandfather -> Great Great Grandfather).

Thank you!

edit: I also found a 1905 immigration document that might be related to him. It says on there that he was already in the US before (in 1900-1904?) ... so this 1904 immigration document might also be related (but again, that one says Demonaco).
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Reached dead-end finding great great grandfather

Post by PeterTimber »

Carmine De Monaco comes from PIETRELCINA, DOB 5/12/1883 (could be 1881 since Italy issued internal passports for army service but no worry to you for records just put 1881-1883). Pietrelcina is found in Benevento province of Campania region. http://www.tuttitalia.it/campania/78-pietrelcina.
Two years later an Ersilia De Monaco shows up arriving 1906 to same street name but different # in Brooklyn so she may be sister,cousin or wife (age22) coming from Pietrelcina but is listed as married same as Carmine..possible marriage here. See http://www.castlegarden.org under de Monaco for carmine and ersilia and compare Brooklyn address. Send request for Carmine De Monaco birth certificate (will send address next and form letter to use)
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Obtain form letter in Italian at http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp THEN SEND REQUEST TO ufficio di Stato Civile
Comune di Pietrelcina
Corso Padre Pio 33
82020, Pietrelcina (BN) Italy

enclose a self ddressed envelope and also send a $5.00good luck. Make no mention of anybody except Carmine De Monaco. The village only has 3000 people.
~Peter~
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Little help for citzenship

Ufficio di Stato Civile
Comune di Pietrelcina
Corso Padre Pio 33
82020, Pietrelcina (BN)
Italy

OGGETTO: Richiesta esito di atti di nascita di Carmine De Monaco di ottenere la cittadinanza italiana

Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,

La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per ottenere il Vostro aiuto, poiche` mi necessita l’estratto dell’atto di nascita, in formato internazionale di: Carmine De Monaco nato a Pietrelcina il 1881-1883
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.
YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL PHOTO ID (copy of passport or drivers license)

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Thanks for putting in ESTRATTO which is the reason why I came back here to remind him to request L'estratto and I notice that this form letter has changed. Dos this mean each and every commune requires a photo ID? Does this also apply to URP at the provincial level as well when making provincial requests??
~Peter~
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

PeterTimber wrote:... Does this also apply to URP at the provincial level as well when making provincial requests??
what is URP?
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

liviomoreno wrote:
PeterTimber wrote:... Does this also apply to URP at the provincial level as well when making provincial requests??
what is URP?
http://www.urp.it/Sezione.jsp?idSezione=92

Erudita
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Erudita I use URP for the Archivio provinciale dello stato when referring for military or other records not available at the comune level.
~Peter~