Bartolo Granata: two marriages

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sleone1981
Rookie
Rookie

Bartolo Granata: two marriages

Post by sleone1981 »

I am quite confused by this marriage record that I found.

One of my gggrandfather's sisters, Giuseppa Leone, married Bartolo Granata in September 1884 in Sclafani Bagni.

However, there is a second marriage record for Bartolo, dated just a month earlier. In this record, Bartolo (same age, same parents, same city of residence) married Francesca Di Carlo in August of 1884.

I have looked through 1884 death records for Sclafani and cannot find one for Francesca Di Carlo. Is it possible for Bartolo to have married two women at the same time??
Bartolo Granata two marriages.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Bartolo Granata: two marriages

Post by erudita74 »

sleone1981 wrote:I am quite confused by this marriage record that I found.

One of my gggrandfather's sisters, Giuseppa Leone, married Bartolo Granata in September 1884 in Sclafani Bagni.

However, there is a second marriage record for Bartolo, dated just a month earlier. In this record, Bartolo (same age, same parents, same city of residence) married Francesca Di Carlo in August of 1884.

I have looked through 1884 death records for Sclafani and cannot find one for Francesca Di Carlo. Is it possible for Bartolo to have married two women at the same time??
Bartolo Granata two marriages.png
These are not actual marriage records, which would be atti di matrimoni. These records are marriage publications, which are banns of marriage posted to determine if there are any objections to the marriage. So, the earlier dated one with Francesca as the potential bride was a marriage that didn't happen, for whatever reason. You would need the act of marriage for the other one to determine if that marriage actually took place, unless you know that it actually did. The date on the publication though would not be the date of the actual marriage.

Erudita
sleone1981
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Bartolo Granata: two marriages

Post by sleone1981 »

Thank you, now I understand!