Which Fossato

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

Which Fossato

Post by gentilejoy@yahoo.com »

My godmother’s father Antonino Tripodi born 1894 came to America in 1913. His ship manifest on San Giorgio sailed out of Messina April 29th, 1913 says his last residence was Montebello-Reggio Calabria, and his father Leonardo was from Fossato.

His paternal grandmother was Maria Fallara born around 1831 in Fossato to Giupseppe Fallara and Marianna Gattuso of Fossato. Some say Fossato Reggio Calabria other information puts their birth in Fossato Serralta Catanzaro. I have no birth record to confirm where these members were born.

The confusion or mystery is some say family was from Fossato-Reggio Di Calabria and others say family line originated from Fossato Serralto- Catanzaro. We are trying to confirm which Fossato.

Can anyone please help with this mystery?
http://interactive.ancestry.com/7488/NY ... turnRecord
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Which Fossato

Post by adelfio »

Montebello Ionico RC, Italy is 5km from Fossato Ionico Reggio Di Calabria

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

So far, it seems that family line is from Fossato of Reggio Di Calabria. Seems highly unlikely that if according to his ship manifest- his residence was Montebello that his grandparents would be from Fossato Serralta-Catanzaro, but we have no way of confirming birth location.

Do you know how I can view or obtain birth records to confirm it was Fossato Ionico. Although his ship manifest says Montebello-Fossato, other records mention the Fallara line from Fossato Serralta in Catanzaro. Where do I go to confirm birth location. Also are there records that date back to early to mid 1800s which is when his grandmother was born? Appreciate any help.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Fossato Ionico is a frazione (suburb)of Montebello Ionico so civil records would be held there
Registri dello stato civile di Fossato (Reggio di Calabria), 1809-1910
Includes the records of Montebello Jonico form 1866-1890. Fossato is now a hamlet of that town.
Births, deaths, marriages, marriage documents, miscellaneous documents, marriage banns, residency records. Includes the records of Montebello Jonico from 1866-1890. Fossato is now a hamlet of Montebello Jonico
PG LINK TO FHL RECORDS
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

Marty- this is great. I thank you for all this helpful information. I will contact FHL.
Primo Mattino
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Primo Mattino »

In this website are the indices of all the available church- and civil staterecords from 1599 untill 1865: http://www.benvanrijswijk.com/fontigenealogiche.htm. (I am still working on the death- and birthrecords from 1809-1865).
The names Fallara and Tripodi are definitely from Montebello and Fossato.
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

Thank you, Primo. Your link is such a wealth of valuable research.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There were 21 Fallara coming from Montebello from 1873 to 1892 and 4 Tripodi arriving from Fossato arriving in 1900-1920 at NYC if this adds to the conversation. www.Stevemorse.org. Peter
~Peter~
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

Thanks Peter-some surnames are specific to a town or area of Italy. Seems both "Tripodi (o)" and "Fallara" are last names found in Montebello and Fossato Ionico.