Could someone help translate

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jakerees

Could someone help translate

Post by jakerees »

Sorry to ask this but I'm trying to look something up for a friend and I don't know Italian. Having a hard time reading this record, it is an attachment at the end of a marriage book for the year of 1882.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349497401

The record is No. 6 and starts at the bottom of the right side of image 1424 and continues to 1425. Couple is Aurelio Cusumano and Francesca ...? looks like Schittane? and I think the marriage date says 6 November 1882? Is there any other information to be found on these records? Parents names of the bride and groom? Tonight is the first night I have ever looked at Italian vital records and don't know much about them. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. You don't need to type the record out word for word but if you see any more vital information I missed I would really appreciate it.
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Could someone help translate

Post by erudita74 »

jakerees wrote:Sorry to ask this but I'm trying to look something up for a friend and I don't know Italian. Having a hard time reading this record, it is an attachment at the end of a marriage book for the year of 1882.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349497401

The record is No. 6 and starts at the bottom of the right side of image 1424 and continues to 1425. Couple is Aurelio Cusumano and Francesca ...? looks like Schittane? and I think the marriage date says 6 November 1882? Is there any other information to be found on these records? Parents names of the bride and groom? Tonight is the first night I have ever looked at Italian vital records and don't know much about them. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. You don't need to type the record out word for word but if you see any more vital information I missed I would really appreciate it.

Dated Nov 6, 1882 at 8:10 P.M.
Groom: Aurelio Cusumano, age 32, carpenter, born and resident in Ribera; son of Stefano (Cusumano) and deceased Onofria Tinnerella, who had lived in Ribera when she was alive.
Bride: Francesca Schittone, age 20, industriosa (trader), born and resident in Ribera; daughter of Antonio (Schittone) and Maria Carmela Modica.

Erudita
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Aurelio's father was from Sciacca (b. ~1833) and his mother from Ribera (b. 1840). Francesca's father was from Caltabellotta (b. ~1824) and her mother from Sciacca (b. 1829). My tree includes Francesca's grandparents and Aurelio's great-grandparents plus a couple of his great-great-grandparents.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

erudita74 wrote:

Dated Nov 6, 1882 at 8:10 P.M.
Groom: Aurelio Cusumano, age 32, carpenter, born and resident in Ribera; son of Stefano (Cusumano) and deceased Onofria Tinnerella, who had lived in Ribera when she was alive.
Bride: Francesca Schittone, age 20, industriosa (trader), born and resident in Ribera; daughter of Antonio (Schittone) and Maria Carmela Modica.

Erudita
Excellent information, Erudita. Note the 12 year age difference between the groom and his bride. Actually, much older men marrying younger women is fairly common in Italy even today. And the reason so many widows are seen wearing black. My companion's grand-mother from Calabria was married three times. We think she wore the black between husbands as a signal to other men that she was available again and looking for another mate. Of course some Italians still like to pretend that it's a symbol of respect in showing mourning for the deceased spouse, but we modern Italians know better, LOL.