Birth record help

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jakerees

Birth record help

Post by jakerees »

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349493902

Can anyone help pull the info out of this one. Calogero Carnana, record 157 on the right side of that page. What date is given for his birth, and also, on the right, is that stamp giving an update to this record and showing when he died? I have his marriage record and had his parents approximate birth years, Antonino Carnana around 1832 and Biaggia Corso around 1835. Do their ages on here match that? Thanks.
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Birth record help

Post by erudita74 »

jakerees wrote:https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349493902

Can anyone help pull the info out of this one. Calogero Carnana, record 157 on the right side of that page. What date is given for his birth, and also, on the right, is that stamp giving an update to this record and showing when he died? I have his marriage record and had his parents approximate birth years, Antonino Carnana around 1832 and Biaggia Corso around 1835. Do their ages on here match that? Thanks.

The record is dated July 13, 1870 at 10 a.m. but the birth took place today at 4 a.m. The father was Antonino Carnana age 34, a farmer. He reported that his son, Calogero, was born to his wife Biaggia Corso, age 30, who was living with him in the district of the Mother Church. The notation in the margin concerns Calogero's death in Ribera. When I first looked at it, I thought the month was Sept (9) but the notation by the town clerk in Sciacca was added on Aug 28, 1950. I think the month could be a (2) or Feb 14, 1950, death in Ribera, record #132. (the month is written before the day in the Italian notations)

Erudita
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

It's not "Carnana," it's Caruana. The name name was also frequently spelled Garuana in Ribera. If you look at the records indexed online by FamilySearch you might see it misspelled as "Coruana," too.

Caruana is found throughout Agrigento province, most famously in Siculiana, where it is associated with the mafia. There is also a chess grandmaster named Fabiano Caruana.

Incidentally, I have Antonino Caruana (b. 1832) and Biagga Corso (b. 1835) in my tree on Ancestry, in addition to the people you mentioned on the other thread.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

You were asking about Giuseppe Sciangula and Caterina Migliorino on another thread. In case you don't know, Biaggia Corso was Giuseppe Sciangula's first cousin, as their mothers were sisters.

I agree that it looks like he died on 14 Feb 1950.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

erudita74 wrote:
The record is dated July 13, 1870 at 10 a.m. but the birth took place today at 4 a.m. The father was Antonino Carnana age 34, a farmer. He reported that his son, Calogero, was born to his wife Biaggia Corso, age 30, who was living with him in the district of the Mother Church. The notation in the margin concerns Calogero's death in Ribera. When I first looked at it, I thought the month was Sept (9) but the notation by the town clerk in Sciacca was added on Aug 28, 1950. I think the month could be a (2) or Feb 14, 1950, death in Ribera, record #132. (the month is written before the day in the Italian notations)

Erudita
Again, excellent information Erudita. For anyone who happens to be a fan of the American film, "A Bronx Tale", the name of the main character and narrator of the story was also Calogero, a very antique sounding name by American standards and one which prompted Calogero's girlfriend to say, "Calogero? What kind of name is that"? At which Calogero replied, "It's Italian". Notice he did not say, "It's Sicilian".
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

You mention that you have his marriage record already. In the margin there is a marriage record for Calogero Caruana and Maria Migliorino from Ribera, with a date of 27 Feb 1907. The year is very clear - it's hard to see how it could be anything but 1907. And yet, I've searched all the marriage indexes for Ribera for at least a decade in each direction and haven't come across it. Moreover, there was no marriage record between 21 Feb and 2 Mar for that year. Have you found this marriage record?

He was also married to Vincenza Sciangula on 9 Dec 1893 and I'm pretty sure you already have that marriage record. Is that what you meant when you said that you have his marriage record already? He was previously married to Giuseppa Miceli, but that doesn't seem to be relevant.
jakerees

Post by jakerees »

Yes I was referring to his marriage of Vincenza Sciangula. Their daughter Caterina or Catherine born 11 Jan 1895 is the person who I am helping with research is descended from.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

If you don't have it
Marriage of Calogero Caruana and Vincenza Sciangula
INDEX#87
1893 Dec 9th in Ribera marriage of Calogero Caruana age 23(widower) farmer born in Ribera son of Antonino Caruana and Biaggia Corso married Vincenza Sciangula age 20 born in Ribera daughter of Giuseppe Sciangula and Caterina Migliorino

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349503801
CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE
record-image (456).jpg
Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty