Searching for Vito Calise from Forio

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Searching for Vito Calise from Forio

Post by siskojnash »

I'm looking for records on Vito Calise, born abt 1850 in Forio d'Ischia. He was married to Lucia Restituto, who was born in October 1861 in Forio. I already have her birth record, but haven't seen their marriage record. The first child I know of was born in 1884. I would also like to be able to trace both sides of the family, if possible. Vito Calise's father was Giuseppe. I don't have any dates for him. I don't know the mother. Lucia Restituto's father was Francesco. I don't have dates for him, either. I'm sure the mother's name is on the birth record, but I don't read Italian. I've included that record below in case someone can see what the mother's name is or get additional information. Thank you!
October 1861 - Lucia Restituto - Family.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Searching for Vito Calise from Forio

Post by suanj »

Hi,
Lucia father: Francesco RESTITUTO 24 old farm hand, son of unknown parents( proietto= foundling)
Lucia mother name was: Berenice GIOIA 21 old
best regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

Thank you so much! I just found the marriage record for Francesco Restituto and Berenice Giola. Could someone please translate it?
November 4, 1860 - Francesco Restituto and Berenice Giola Marriage p1.jpg
November 4, 1860 - Francesco Restituto and Berenice Giola Marriage p2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Can you post their first childs birth record or a page link to the record?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

The marriage of Francesco Restituto and Berenice Gioia
INDEX#37
1860 Nov 4th in the town of Forio marriage of Francesco Restituto age 22 farmhand he was a foundling raise by Lucia Castaldi and Michelangelo Castaldi married Berenice Gioia age 20 foundling raised by Maria Giuseppa Calise and Gaetano Calise both were born in Forio married in the church of San Vito Nov 14th

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

Wow. Could there have been some sort of disease or war going on when they were younger, since neither one was apparently raised by their parents? As far as the first child goes, I think Lucia Restituto was probably it. Her birth record is in the first message in this topic. Or at least the first one after marriage, since she was born in 1861. There's also two other children that I've heard about: Grace and Vincent. I don't have documents that prove that part, though.
I just tried searching the indexes for 1837 and 1839 for the Nati to try to find the birth record for Francesco Restituto. It seemed to me like the indexes weren't complete. Some years also seem to be missing there. I was hoping his birth record would give the names of his parents. I haven't tried Berenice Giola yet.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Francesco Restituto and Berenice Gioia were both foundlings I don't think you will find the parents names. Normally the parents would recognize them on the marriage act as their child I don't see that on their marriage act

Marty

Marty
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

I just found the birth record for Berenice Giola. Could someone please translate this? I get the feeling, though, that even this doesn't give the names of the parents. I found this in the Diversi files.
June 18, 1840 - Berenice Giola p1.jpg
June 18, 1840 - Berenice Giola p2.jpg
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Berenice Gioia was a foundling (as Marty already stated), she was abandoned in the whel on June 17 1840. Parents are unknown (genitori ignoti).
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

So I guess there's no way at all to find out who her family was. Probably the same for her husband. Would Giola even be her real last name? If so, how did they even know what it was when they didn't bother to list the names of the parents?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Gioia (not Giola) was the surname assigned by the Civil State Officer.
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

Thank you. Do you know if the marriage record for Vito Calise and Lucia Restituto is around anywhere? I haven't found it yet. He was born abt 1850 and she was born in October 1861. As far as I know so far, their first child was born on October 2, 1884. I also haven't found his birth record yet, although I have hers.
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

can someone please help me find the marriage record for vito calise and lucia restituto and also the birth record for vito calise? he was born abt 1850 and i think she was born in 1861. the first child i know of was born in 1884.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

siskojnash wrote:can someone please help me find the marriage record for vito calise and lucia restituto and also the birth record for vito calise? he was born abt 1850 and i think she was born in 1861. the first child i know of was born in 1884.
Hi

I did go through some marriage records 1877-1881 inclusive but didn't see anything there. I figured you had probably already gone through 1882-1884. Which years have you already looked through yourself?

Are you able to post the "link" to the first child born in 1884?

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Marriage Record: Vito Maria Calise and Lucia Restituto

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

They were married December 1883. Here's the link to their marriage record, No 44:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... G:47174301

Date: 9 December 1883, 3.20 pm, Forio

Groom: Vito Maria Calise, Single, 25 (circa?), fisherman, born and living in Forio, son of Giuseppe and Loreta Matarese, both living in Forio.

Bride: Lucia Restituto, single, 22, Weaver?, born and living in Forio, daughter of Francesco and Berenicia Gioia, both living in Forio.

Angela