Surname:Ungaro from Laurenzana Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
greatgrand_RUM

Surname:Ungaro from Laurenzana Italy

Post by greatgrand_RUM »

Looking for marriage record for Rocco Motto [Rocco Mott, Rocco Motta] and Rose Ungaro [Rosa Ungaro] from Laurenzana Italy around 1868 to 1875
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Surname:Ungaro from Laurenzana Italy

Post by adelfio »

Sure they were married in Laurenzana I looked 1868 to 1875 didn't find them

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

send an e-mail to- comuneLaurenzana@rete.basilicata.it - and send a request for the marriage certificate to the attention of the Uffico Stato civile. Get form letter from http://www.circolocalabrese.org and select genealogy for the form letter and enclose a return address envelope
. Its free so that's all that is needed. Peter
~Peter~
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

There are Rocco Motta's listed in the marriage index of Laurenzana,Potenza but different wifes name. Did they have any kids born in Laurenzana,Potenza ?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
greatgrand_RUM

Post by greatgrand_RUM »

Thanks, all!

Children in 14 Nov 1891, when family arrived in NYC on the Hindoustan from Naples, would have been Carmela (1), Angela (13) Vito (6), Maria Teresa (4). Rocco Motta, listed on the passenger list, was the husband (51). Rosa was his wife, but she is listed with the Ungaro surname, not Motta, like the children are. We wonder why! Details on Rosa: Rosa Margherita Ungaro, b. 2 Sept 1848 in Laurenzana; father Giovanni Ungaro; mother Anna Pellettiere. I took a guess at the wedding date.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

greatgrand_RUM wrote:Thanks, all!

Children in 14 Nov 1891, when family arrived in NYC on the Hindoustan from Naples, would have been Carmela (1), Angela (13) Vito (6), Maria Teresa (4). Rocco Motta, listed on the passenger list, was the husband (51). Rosa was his wife, but she is listed with the Ungaro surname, not Motta, like the children are. We wonder why! Details on Rosa: Rosa Margherita Ungaro, b. 2 Sept 1848 in Laurenzana; father Giovanni Ungaro; mother Anna Pellettiere. I took a guess at the wedding date.
Italian women keep their "maiden" surname. Therefore Rosa, though married, would have traveled under her own name, UNGARO :-)

Here is the link to son, Vito, born in Laurenzana on 19 April 1885
Father: Rocco Motta, 40, peasant farmer
Mother: Rosa Margerita Ungaro, his wife
Born at home, Via Corso del Popolo
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,392378701

And to daughter, Angela Carmela, born on 28 October 1877
Father: Rocco Vincenzo Motta
Mother: Rosa Margherita Ungaro
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,392378701

T.
greatgrand_RUM

Post by greatgrand_RUM »

:wink: Makes it fun looking for her after their arrival, though we made progress. Thanks.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Then so what the reason you were looking for a marriage record since you already knew their respective names? Peter
~Peter~
greatgrand_RUM

Post by greatgrand_RUM »

Just interested in having documents about her. A few years after she came to the US, from what we know, her life took a very sad turn, and no one was permitted to talk about her. No photos, no fond memories, no stories, yet all the first-born daughters of her children were named after her. So far removed from that time, my cousins and I are trying to reconstruct what we can to give her a better presence in our family's history.
greatgrand_RUM

Post by greatgrand_RUM »

Oh, now I see why you are Masters! Vito was my grandfather, and Angela Carmela was my cousin's grandmother! Grazie mille! (or at least, that's what Google says means "Thank you very much!"
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

greatgrand_RUM wrote:Oh, now I see why you are Masters! Vito was my grandfather, and Angela Carmela was my cousin's grandmother! Grazie mille! (or at least, that's what Google says means "Thank you very much!"
Prego! :-)

Thought you might like this if you do not have it.
This is the obituary of Carmela Motta Fanelli, daughter of Rocco and Rosa Ungaro Motta.
It appears in the Utica NY Observer 1967
Left column near bottom ...
http://www.fultonhistory.com/Newpapers% ... .html&.pdf

T.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

You give story with the life of your family which is what I thought might be the reason. I wish people would be more open when making inquiries since it makes it easier for us to divine what information to ferret out for you guys. Peter
~Peter~
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

greatgrand_RUM wrote:Just interested in having documents about her. A few years after she came to the US, from what we know, her life took a very sad turn, and no one was permitted to talk about her. No photos, no fond memories, no stories, yet all the first-born daughters of her children were named after her. So far removed from that time, my cousins and I are trying to reconstruct what we can to give her a better presence in our family's history.
From NYC Death Index... possible death of Rosa Motta in 1905 at age 53y
Motta Rosa 53 y Mar 28 1905 #10546 Manhattan

Maybe her death record can shed some light on her situation with cause of death.
You can request (for a fee) her death record at this site:
http://www.nyc.gov/dorforms/deathcert.jsp

T.
greatgrand_RUM

Post by greatgrand_RUM »

I am new to forums and didn't know how much to tell or if anyone would even respond! We have records of Rose's death in Utica in 1907. The hospital is long closed, but the NYS archives has responded to our first inquiry for information. We hope their records might have some details of her relationships, circumstances, occupation, and maybe a photo, since family sources are non-existent.

I am sorry if my inquiries were misleading. I never expected such quick and detailed responses. Just trying to get a bigger picture. We haven't been able to find if Rose had siblings. Her mother was a Pellettieri, and there were people of the same surname who were instrumental in relocating Lauranzanese to Utica. Was Rose related to them? Is that why she and Rocco Motto came to Utica? We are new to this whole process, and have been gathering pieces of the puzzle in just a few short weeks from any place we can think of. We appreciate all you have done. Thank you.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Possible sibling of Rosa Ungaro
Marriage of Rocco Giuseppe Michele Ungaro and Angela Maria D' Onofrio
INDEX#9
1868 Feb 20th in the town of Laurenzana marriage of Rocco Giuseppe Michele Ungaro age 30 (abt 1838)cab driver son of deceased Giovanni Ungaro and deceased Pasqua Maria Pellettiere married to Angela Maria D' Onofrio age 18 daughter of Rocco D' Onofrio and Maria Donata Assetto
both were born in Laurenzana
CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE
31053_A502860-00007.jpg
EDITED Rocco D' Onofrio
Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Marty