Antonio Soro born about 1885-1886

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Antonio Soro born about 1885-1886

Post by PeterTimber »

Lutherman and Suanj. Apparently Australia national Archives made error in releasing the Antonio Soros - alleged Italian murderer 1928-1928 with Item details which I previously advised Lutherman on October 1, 2014 above this missive. I received a request to re-activate my dormant account and they probed for source of inquiry which I stated as genealogy inquiry and I will receive a response from them on NOVEMBER 05,2014 at 09:00AM Just wanted to keep everybody informed. Peter
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

apparently their item bar code #885286 follows the below address ASPX? barcode 885286 Peter
~Peter~
Lutherman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lutherman »

I agree, this could be Antonio's nephew. Giuseppe D'Albora left Italy at age 2 and arrived in Melbourne May 1908. If he was Joseph born 16 Nov 1904, then there is a slight discrepancy in their ages of only a few months. If I'm not mistaken, the journey from Italy to Melbourne would have taken only a month or two in 1908. But if it took six months or more, that would explain the discrepancy completely.

Caulfield, Victoria is less than six miles from Kew and Northcote where other d'Alboras are known to have lived in east Melbourne, and the same distance from where Antonio lived with his unfortunate landlords in North Melbourne.

Grazie!
Lutherman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lutherman »

PeterTimber wrote:Lutherman and Suanj. Apparently Australia national Archives made error in releasing the Antonio Soros - alleged Italian murderer 1928-1928 with Item details which I previously advised Lutherman on October 1, 2014 above this missive. I received a request to re-activate my dormant account and they probed for source of inquiry which I stated as genealogy inquiry and I will receive a response from them on NOVEMBER 05,2014 at 09:00AM Just wanted to keep everybody informed. Peter
Peter, this is all I got for 1928, I will be looking forward to hearing more.

Item details for: D1915, SA1893
Title SORO Antonio - alleged Italian murderer
Contents date range 1928 - 1928
Series number D1915
Click to see which government agency or person created this item.
Control symbol SA1893
Item barcode 885286
Location Adelaide
Access status Open
Date of decision 11 Jan 1993
Physical format PAPER FILES AND DOCUMENTS (allocated at series level)
Date registered 10 Jun 1994
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

suanj wrote:D'ALBORA JOSEPH RONALD : Service Number - V146872 : Date of birth - 16 Nov 1904 : Place of birth - SARDINIA ITALY : Place of enlistment - CAULFIELD VIC : Next of Kin - D'ALBORA FELICITY

It could be Antonio Soro nephew?
suanj
I believe that the names was:
- Antonio Soro (ok)
- Elisabetta Soro ( ok or also Elisabetta Elena Soro)
- Charles D'Albora ( aka Cesare Pasquale D'Albora; the D'Alboras in Baccarat coming from Aeolian Isles (Isole Eolie)- especially from Santa Marina village, in Salina that is a isle of the Aeolians; now I know now when Charles/Cesare met Elisabetta Soro in Sardinia isle, but they married in Sardina and the marriage transcription must be also in Santa Marina marriage registry or Aeolian marriage registries; yesterday I searched a bit but lacking many years..)
- Joseph Rinald D'Albora ( born as Giuseppe Rinaldo D'Albora) also knew as Ron D'Albora; the WWII enlistment give the 1904 birthyear and Sardinia birthplace.. I believe more correct the 1906 as possible birthyear because the age on the arrival record is by passport...

Now the problem is to find the sardinian birthplace because Soro is a popular surname in Sardinia and we have no further details.. the possible way for to find more is to search the naturalization record of Charles (Cesare Pasquale) and Elisabetta ...
so we can know the birthplaces ...
but I am no a expert abt australian Archives and I do't know if the records are availables..
best regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Lutherman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lutherman »

Suanj, this is good news, Antonio can be found in Italian records. Are there electronic images available or did you look at the originals? I like to get a .jpg of the document as well as the name of the source such as "1890 Sardinia census" or whatever. I am looking at your website also as I get the time. Thanks so much for all your help and please prepare a quote for your services if you are able to take good quality color digital photos or scans for my records. But please understand I cannot spend a lot of money, and until 2015, my wife owns the budget for holidays and birthday celebrations. If you can send your information to my email I will reimburse you for your time and expenses as soon as possible.

Scott Robertson
stumpednomore at gmail dot com
Lutherman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lutherman »

These are hints from a site that tries to create computer-generated genealogy by gleaning info from the internet and not including any sources. This is not serious genealogy, but can be used for hints. I tried to eliminate anything obviously added by software, leaving only what this website had borrowed from online family trees:

Elena Soro m: Cesare D'Albora l: Ballarat East, Victoria, Australia
children:
Anna Maria Elisabetta D'Albora b: 1912 Ballarat East
Jack Earnest D'Albora b: 1909 Ballarat

Cesare Pasquale D'Albora b: 1880 d: 1863 l: Melbourne, Australia
pa: Giuseppe D'Albora
ma: Liquori Anna D'Albora

?NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH:

Elena Elizabeth D'Albora b: 1881 d: 1956 l: Melbourne
pa: Sanna Giovanna D'Albora
ma: Maria D'Albora

Giuseppe D'Albora b: 1890 d: 1950 l: Parkville, N. Melbourne
pa: Alphonsa D'Albora
ma: Quffre Rosina D'Albora

As suanj stated, the next goal should be to find Antonio Soro's birthplace in Sardenia. I think 17 June 1884 is probably correct, but I'm waiting to hear back from the Australian archives.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi,
I don't know where you found the above records...
abt:
Giuseppe D'Albora b: 1890 d: 1950 l: Parkville, N. Melbourne
pa: Alphonsa D'Albora
ma: Quffre Rosina D'Albora
this Giuseppe D'Albora was the son of Alfonso D'Albora and Rosina Giuffrè (maiden name).. I found the obit of Alfonso and was mentioned as birthplace the Sardinia... no one D'Albora is in Sardinia...
also I found in some newspaper articles that Antonio Soro was "sicilian"... and it is wrong also... because Soro is a sardininan surname...
I believe that was a bit of confusion abt Sardinia and Sicily; both are the 2 big italian islands..
the Aeolian isles/archipelago making part of Sicily isle

so I believe correct so:
Soro coming from Sardinia
D'Albora coming from Aeolian archipelago.. most probably from Salina isle or Lipari isle

abt:
Cesare Pasquale D'Albora b: 1880 d: 1863 l: Melbourne, Australia
pa: Giuseppe D'Albora
ma: Liquori Anna D'Albora
that is interesting so Cesare Pasquale D'Albora parents was Giuseppe d'Albora and Anna LIGUORI (right)

abt:
the Elisabetta father had Soro surname; she travelled by her maiden name and it was Soro no Sanna.. maybe Sanna ( also a popular sardinian surname) was the maiden name of Elisabetta mother...

Giuseppe Rinaldo d'Albora ( aka Ron D'Albora) was born in Sardinia... the son is alive and maybe you can contact http://www.google.it/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=& ... 3099,d.d2s if he can help abt the name of sardinian birthplace of his father... best regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Lutherman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lutherman »

suanj, Thanks for the information. One correction: Ron is actually the son of Giuseppe Rinaldo d'Albora, he was born abt 1 Mar 1922 in Sydney, NSW, Australia, and he died this year abt 8 April 2014 at the age of 92. He was a very well known businessman and we won't go into his living family here. Thanks for the link to his son, and I have sent a query to him.

Thanks for clarifying my previous hints post. The hints came from ancientfaces.com. I think the information might have been gleaned from ancestry.com trees but I don't have an active account with ancestry.com right now. It is obvious from search results that Ron's full name was Joseph Ronald d'Albora, and he lived in Ballarat, Melbourne and other places before moving to Sydney.

I see that ancestory has an image of one of Antonio's arrivals in Melbourne (passenger list), if anyone has access to anc my email is stumpednomore at gmail dot com. Thanks.

A website called findmypast.com.au has the two passenger list transcriptions, which I haven't paid for yet, though it could be worth the money, as well as something new: a death year, 1960, in New South Wales. I googled and eventually found pictures of this grave. He died on 12 September1960 and was born in 1884, so is probably the right person. He is buried in Rookwood, a part of Sydney.

Antonio Soro Aged 76 years
Catholic Cemeteries & Crematoria - Rookwood
Barnet Avenue, Rookwood, NSW, 2141, Australia
P: (02) 9649 6423
More photos may be viewed in the photo gallery.
Catholic Cemeteries & Crematoria - Rookwood
Interment Date: 15 September 1960
Section: SEC*M2*12**2545
Lat/Lng: -33.88092, 151.05303

Six people surnamed D Albora are in this cemetery also.

Then I found a search site at the official vital statistics website for deaths in NSW and learned that this Antonio's parents were Giovanni and Maria Catherine, death registration number 25763/1960, from Newtown which is part of Sydney. This leads back to suanj's note:
suanj wrote: abt:
the Elisabetta father had Soro surname; she travelled by her maiden name and it was Soro no Sanna.. maybe Sanna ( also a popular sardinian surname) was the maiden name of Elisabetta mother...
Suanj is probably correct, as the information in these computer-generated families is always full of mistakes. For example, when I found Elena on that site, her name was listed as "Soro Elena Dalbora". Following this pattern, we could get "Giovanni Sorro" and his wife Maria from the above. Confirmation will have to follow if I have time tomorrow. I can't buy this death certificate unfortunately, there has to be some other way for now.
Lutherman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lutherman »

suanj wrote:
abt:
Suanj, once again your intuition has paid off. I was thinking that we were missing Mrs Soro, Antonio's mother, from a ship manifest, so I returned to the State of Victoria archives and searched for anyone named Maria or Catherine, but got too many results. I am still not used to Catholic women of the past using their maiden names after they are married, so what you said--about her maiden name possibly being Sanna--did not work into my strategy.

But then I downloaded all the names from the ship that Antonio took to Melbourne in 1909, and there she is, on the same page of the manifest as Antonio.

Family Name Given Name Age Month Year Ship Port Fiche Page
SORO ANTONIO 24 FEB 1909 OROYA B 783 001
SANNA MARIA 55 FEB 1909 OROYA B 783 001

There is now very doubt that we are on the right track, all references to Antonio Soro are the same person, and his father was Giuseppi Soro, probably born around 1840-1855, and his mother was Maria Catherine Sanna born abt 1854. Giuseppi probably died before 1908, when his daughter came to Australia, but his story is still an open book, it could be anything.

The biggest mystery, which I think the National Archives will help solve, is why Antonio was allowed back into the country, and how it was kept so quiet after all the publicity from 1912-1914. I am thinking maybe his family had some influence and were able to pull strings.

I am still very interested to know what he did during WWI and where he was from, etc.

Thanks again for your assistance.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi,
abt the correction:
"Ron is actually the son of Giuseppe Rinaldo d'Albora, he was born abt 1 Mar 1922 in Sydney, NSW, Australia, and he died this year abt 8 April 2014 at the age of 92."

It is ok... but Giuseppe Rinaldo was born in 1922 and he was the son of..... however he was the grandson of Charles/Cesare.. right?

however is strange that have same name of:
D'ALBORA JOSEPH RONALD : Service Number - V146872 : Date of birth - 16 Nov 1904 : Place of birth - SARDINIA ITALY : Place of enlistment - CAULFIELD VIC : Next of Kin - D'ALBORA FELICITY

so it must be related... Joseph Ronald DAlbora sr died in 1996 in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

but we know that:
D'ALBORA JOSEPH RONALD : Service Number - V146872 : Date of birth - 16 Nov 1904 : Place of birth - SARDINIA ITALY : Place of enlistment - CAULFIELD VIC : Next of Kin - D'ALBORA FELICITY

so his name was Joseph Ronald D'Albora (Giuseppe Rinaldo D'Albora) and most probably the Joseph Ronald born in 1922 was his son... this could be possible...

It is a great info the find of Antonio Soro gravestone!
Abt Maria Sanna no doubts that Giovanni Soro and Maria Sanna was the parents of Antonio Soro...
the problem is to find the birthplace... until now I searched abt in 12 sardinian towns (in the birth registries) and no luck....
All the best,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Lutherman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lutherman »

Suanj, Thanks for trying! There is new information and a possible new source: Antonio Soro was in the Navy in Italy before coming to Australia in 1909.

According to search results at website findmypast.com.au, Cesare Pasquale d'Albora was born in 1880 and died in 1963. I will buy the transcription of the death record later.

SUMMARY--D'ALBORA

Cesare Pasquale d'Albora aka Charles d'Albora m: Elena Elisabetta Soro (Antonio's sister)
children:
Giuseppe Rinaldo d'Albora aka Joseph Ronald d'Albora sr. b: 1904-1906 Sardinia d: 1996? m: ?Felicity
Jack Earnest d'Albora b: 1909 Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Anna Maria Elisabetta d'Albora b: 1912 Ballarat, Victoria, Australia

child of Giuseppe (Joseph Sr.):
Joseph Ronald d'Albora jr "Ron" 1922-2014

My sources for Charles/Cesare d'Albora and Elena Soro's other children is the same, ancientfaces.com.
Charles was not on the same ship as Elena and Giuseppe when they came from Italy in 1908. He probably came earlier.

Charles was a fruitier in 1912, Ballarat, and Antonio worked for him and lived with him.

NEW INFORMATION

Antonio Soro was in the Italian Navy prior to 1908. Possibly this is where he received his engineering education. Look for discharge for health reasons? (He was a small, frail man, subject to nervous fits, trembling, obsession, generally overwhelmed by life. A musician able to play several instruments, proficient in English, possibly too fond of wine.)

GIUSEPPE SORO--Antonio's father--might have died in Sardinia before 1908?

LESS IMPORTANT--what's your source for Joseph Ronald d'Albora Sr death in 1996? See this from National Archives:

Search for people who may have had estates that went through the probate process in the Supreme Court of Victoria.
(4 record/s matched)
Given Name, Family Name, Alt. Name, Occupation, Residence, Date_of_death, File_Number

Joseph Dalbora Storeman Thornbury 01 Feb 1950 423/074 VPRS 28/P3, unit 5047;
VPRS 7591/P2, unit 1475

JOSEPH RONALD DALBORA COMPANY DIRECTOR HAWTHORN 08 Nov 1988 1272213 VPRS 28/P36, unit 320

Thornbury and Hawthorn are in the same part of Melbourne as all the other people I've mentioned above.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

My source abt Josepoh Ronald D'Albora sr is a genealogic tree on ancestry.it ( but the same on ancestry.com), owner Simone D'Albora(SimoneDalbora)
here the data in italian Language:
Joseph Ronald DAlbora
Nascita 1908 in Italy Decesso 1996 in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

wife: (maybe the second wife!!)

Felicity Fent
Nascita 1920 in donauworth Germany Decesso 2000 in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

because it is impossible that she was the first wife, because a Joseph Ronald D'Albora junior was born in 1922!
Best regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

if Antonio soro was in the Navy.. maybe he was born in some sardinian town on the sea coast... the surnames: Soro and Sanna are very populars in Sardinia, but I believe that Antonio birthplace was in some commune in the Sassari province.. and if on the sea coast maybe it could be Alghero or Porto Torres... who know.. the problem is that on familysearch.org are the civil records just of some commune in Sassari province.. I continued the search and no luck.. however my idea is that Antonio was born in some commune of Sassari province... and as I said maybe in some commune on the sea coast...
best regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

on 21 June 1912 Antonio Soro applied for a Certificate ( for a Patent I believe) in Italy
because on the government newspaper of 21 Apr 1913 is mentioned Antonio Soro residing in Ballarat, Australia received the patentì in the first days of December 1912, abt his invention:

" Perfezionamenti nei mezzi per generare energia"

http://augusto.digitpa.gov.it/gazzette/ ... 1913093_SO
the certificate had validity 6 months or 6 years... No Patent on the registry or No certificate Patent on the registry: 388-193; No on general registry: 126152; issued: 9.. 9 what..?

Again in the government newspaper of 30 may 1914..
the same infos, but NO for to apply; he no payed the tax of patent from 30 June 1913

but this time it are also a address: 333 Corso Umberto I, ROMA ( current Via del Corso st)
http://augusto.digitpa.gov.it/gazzette/ ... 1914127_SO
so he given a italian address ( choice of residence) for to apply again as inventor.. at this date he was already a homicide...
the house at 333 Corso Umberto I, ROMA in 1908 was a old stately Roman Palace, with offices and labs in lower floors and top the homes... http://www.oliari.com/ricerche/plueschow4.jpg
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH