I need help

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: I need help

Post by Tessa78 »

Anizio wrote:
Tessa78 wrote:
One of the birth records in Vinchitura has a date of 13 September 1887 (birth on 11th)
Here is the link to keep for POSSIBLE future connection...
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

T.
Thats not really a solid lead, different years, different dates. Considering the name Carmine Pietromonaco seems common in the town, there's no way to know if they are the same. OF course not.. that is why you HOLD the record for future connection possibility :-) Genealogy can never be based on assumptions. You'll need to try and get the record for the date indicated by the WWII record.
T.
conno11
Rookie
Rookie

Post by conno11 »

Ok so how can I found out my great great grandfathers name? If its common in the town. Mail them?
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

If you want to find their immigration records you can try this and go through the Ellis Island records for 1889:
http://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/F ... _1820-1897

granted there are thousands of pages to check, but genealogy takes time.

If you want to write a letter/email it can be like so:

(date)
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Comune di Vinchiaturo
Piazza Municipio 1
86019 Vinchiaturo (CB)
Italia

Egregi Signori,

Mi chiamo (your name) ed abito nel Stati Uniti. Cerco informazioni sul mio bisnonno, Carmine Pietromonaco. Cerco questi dati per conoscere meglio la mia famiglia.

Vi sarei molto grato se poteste spedirmi una copa integrale dell'atto di nascita di Carmine Pietromonaco, in carta libera. Carmine Pietromonaco era nata 16 settembre 1886 a Vinchiaturo. Lui emigrò nel 1889.

Vi ringrazio in anticipo per la vostra gentilezza e premura, vi prego di addebitarmi tutte le spese postali e dei certificati.

Distini saluti,

(your name)

-------------------------------

This is just a basic outline of what you can say, but it should be sufficient.
Of course this is only if his name is Carmine, if you want to be more general you may want to say you don't know his first name but you know his last name and date of birth, that will still be more than enough to provide you the record as the town only had about 2500 people at that time.
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
conno11
Rookie
Rookie

Post by conno11 »

Awesome THANK YOU GUYS! You guys are awesome people and were a great HELP! If anyone finds anymore research on my family please let me know thanks all!!!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

conno11 wrote:Awesome THANK YOU GUYS! You guys are awesome people and were a great HELP! If anyone finds anymore research on my family please let me know thanks all!!!
Glad to help :-D

FYI - on the 1920 census... first son is listed as"Sandro" - possibly a shortened form of Alessandro...
In keeping with the Italian naming tradition... this would fit with Herman's father's name being Alessandro. Just another reason to hold onto the above birth record for CARMINE, son of Alessandro, until we can locate an immigration record or a naturalization record. He indicates he has filed papers on both the census and on the WWI registration. :-)

AND...
On the birth record for Carmine above... his father could not present the child because he had emigrated to America! Possibly mother and child followed soon after when the child was 2. Mother's maiden name was Di Sarro (I mistakenly wrote Di Sano above). Look for immigration records under that name as well.

T.
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

The ancestry.com account "iowavette" appears to have information on your family tree including 6 documents, 146 persons, and 2 photos. It is unfortunately a private account but I suggest trying to get in contact with the owner.

EDIT:

Actually, also searching on ancestry.it I am finding several family trees with your family information in them
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

OK, so let me see what i can give you from Ancestry.it

Herman (Carmine) Monico (Pietromonaco)
born: 2 September 1886 in Vinchiaturo
died: September 1947 in Omaha Nebraska.
Residence: Ward 5, Omaha
Married Teresa Iaizzo, born 2 June 1886 in Vinchiaturo
Their 9th out of 10 children was named Herman, born 1920 and died in 1985.
In 1917 he lived at 2028 Pierce St. and worked at the Omaha Daily News, he had 7 kids (so 3 probably died as babies), tall, med bld, brn eyes, blk hair.
in 1920 he was a truck foreman at a plant
in 1930 he was an Auto Mechanic at Motor Works
and here is a link to some obituaries with information on Carmine and his wife: http://omahaobits.wordpress.com/mj-mq/

Teresa Iaizzo's parents were Carlo Iaizzo and Domenica di Sarro.
Carmine Pietromonaco's parents were Alessandro Pietromonaco (born 15 February 1859 in Vinchiaturo, and apparently also died in Omaha, and his father was Giovanni) and Angela Maria di Sarro (born March 24 1857 in Vinchiaturo). Carmine and Angela Maria were married 14 October 1885 in Vinchiaturo.

AND best of all, this is a photograph of Alessandro Pietromonaco and his family:

**note: this is all information from someone else's family tree so I can't guarantee the accuracy. but obviously you have some cousins in town that are also doing this research.

With this information you could keep searching theoretically into the 1700s if thats what interests you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Anizio wrote:The ancestry.com account "iowavette" appears to have information on your family tree including 6 documents, 146 persons, and 2 photos. It is unfortunately a private account but I suggest trying to get in contact with the owner.

EDIT:

Actually, also searching on ancestry.it I am finding several family trees with your family information in them
Here is the link to a public photo of Monico family at "iowavette"
http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/15278462 ... src=search

This link also gives Alessandro Pietramonaco married to Angela Maria Di Sarro (in Vinchitura on 14 October 1885), with child Herman(Carmine) Monico born on 2 September 1886 :-)

http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/15278462 ... /240251260

EDIT TO ADD:

Link to the 14 October 1885 Marriage of Alessandro Pietramonaco and Angela Maria Di Sarro
#12 - right side
http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/15278462 ... /240251260

T.
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

Tessa78 wrote:

T.
Are you sure its public? I can't see it. Is it the same as the one I posted above?
I somehow got access to it through my ancestry.it account.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Anizio wrote:
Tessa78 wrote:

T.
Are you sure its public? I can't see it. Is it the same as the one I posted above?
I somehow got access to it through my ancestry.it account.
]

Yes, I see you were able to go back and post the image :-)
Great image!

T.
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

I did not go back and post the image, I posted it before your post lol.

That link does not allow me to see it.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Anizio wrote:I did not go back and post the image, I posted it before your post lol.

That link does not allow me to see it.
Either way, it was a great find! :D
Beautiful family photo!

EDIT TO ADD:

Located a POSSIBLE arrival manifest in 1892 for Maria Di Sarro, and her 4 year old son, Carmine (listed as Figlio [son] Carmine). They are on lines 44 and 45. Also listed is what appears to be another son, Giovanni, age 2, on line 46.
Ship is SS Massilia, arriving NY on 4 April 1892 from Naples.
These early manifests do not provide much information…

Here is the image… they are toward the top of the page

And the link to the listing at Castle Garden…

http://www.castlegarden.org/quick_searc ... id=9073144

T.
conno11
Rookie
Rookie

Post by conno11 »

Yes I found Iowavette When I was on Ancestry.com and I tried contacting him but like you said its private and I have a family tree started and I even took a $99 dollar DNA test but I havent paid for ancestry yet so I cant acess anything :( soo my great great grandfather is Alessandro that great I never new that even my dad doesn't even know his grandpas name so this is great stuff!!!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Just posted a possible manifest for Maria Di Sarro (Italian women traveled under their maiden name) and her 2 children... Carmine and Giovanni :-) arriving NY April 1892.

Here is the link to the birth of Giovanni in 1890

Dated 4 October 1890 - born on 1 October
Father: Alessandro Pietramonaco, son of deceased Giovanni. He was 31 and a peasant farmer
Mother: Maria Di Sarro, daughter of deceased Benedetto, age 32, his wife residing with him.
Since Alessandro presented the child to the official on 4 October, he must have returned from America after the birth of Carmine.

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Do you know if they lived anywhere else in US before going to Omaha?

Sooo... looks like you have a possible ancestor line with your father's GGF of -

Herman(born 1920) - son of Herman/Carmine (Born 1887)
Carmine - son of Alessandro (born about 1858-9)
Alessandro - son of Giovanni (no DOB yet)

T.
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

conno11 wrote:Yes I found Iowavette When I was on Ancestry.com and I tried contacting him but like you said its private and I have a family tree started and I even took a $99 dollar DNA test but I havent paid for ancestry yet so I cant acess anything :( soo my great great grandfather is Alessandro that great I never new that even my dad doesn't even know his grandpas name so this is great stuff!!!
Just as a side note, because I know Ancestry.com is expensive....ancestry.it (if you can manage in Italian) is only 10 Euros a year for membership ;)